The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ranking Prospects and Waiver Issues

JamesB

I think the forward log jam will sort itself out.

There's expiring contracts that can be replaced by waiver exempt guys.

We can see a lineup like

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Baertschi Matthias Vrbata

Vey Bonino Burrows

Kenins Horvat Hansen

Higgins

Gone: Dorsett and Richardson (ufa)

The problem however is on defence and bodies will have to be moved.

Edler Tanev

Bieksa Hamhuis

Sbisa Clendenning

Corrado

Weber

Stanton

Sanguinetti

We have 10 dmen capable of playing in the NHL. We have 5 that are capable of top 4 roles and 5 capable of bottom 2 roles.

The issue is that the young guys are too green and not at the level yet to be put into the top 4 or we would get blown out every game. So we can't just trade our vets to make room. We might be able to trade one vet. That means 5-6 guys will have to fight for 2 spots and a seat in the press box.

Most of them are RFAs so we could see another GM pull a White for Ehrhoff type deal with us (BoSang or Corrado)

^ ^ ^ Admittedly I have made mistakes before (I once gave away Brad Larsen - in Jr. - for 2 nobody's) but generally I have a pretty good sense of a player's future abilities. And guys who skate 200 ft and chip in 3 goals in 15 games (they all can pass and skate) are pretty regular (bottom 6). I think all GM's (and their scouting staffs) who passed on him twice (here's a hint...it was all of them) agree with me. I'm glad we got a chance to sign him is a F/A but don't expect him to be the next Pavel Bure (we didn't sneak one past anybody here, other GM's just went with the 3rd/4th liners that they already had). So if you were to state with confidence that Kenins will turn out better than any of our bottom 6 or 7 I listed, then by all means we sign him and give him a roster spot. I just think that Baertschi, Beleskey, Dorsett, Horvat, Richardson and Vey are better choices...if we have to choose who to keep/discard.

Well, he does all those things well and it's his rookie year. Just because he wasn't drafted and many teams missed out on him doesn't mean they wouldn't want him now. I bet every team in the league would have loved to pick up Burrows, St.Louis or Dupuis in hindsight. If he can continue to develop he could become a very valuable piece of this team. Btw nobody expects him to be a new Bure (or St.Louis)

I think many people are going to be kinda disappointed with the lineup next year if they are expecting 4-5 young guys in it. I have a feeling the lineup will look eerily similar to how it is right now. Maybe 1-2 guys gone and 1-2 new guys in. But any more than that is pie in the sky thinking.

4-5 young guys not farfetched... just looking at the forwards we already have Horvat, Vey under 24, Kassian and Kenins is 24 at the moment so he's on the fringe youngin

Next year Bärtschi will get a good look

so that leaves one of Virtanen / McCann / Gaunce / Jensen / Shinkaruk / Cassels ... etc etc

That said I doubt any of the other prospects will make it full time unless if they wow in all aspects of the game, like Horvat did.

Is Virtanen and McCann both junior bound next year? or do they get to be assigned to Utica ?

Guys need to stop your crush over Weber. He should be gone from this team next year so guys like Biega and Corrado get a chance. Otherwise, we will never develop any D-men in Vancity, if guys like Weber take spots.Therefore, I hope Weber is gone next year, so guys like Clendenning, Corrado, Biega and Sanguienetti ( I hope Green tells Benning how good he has been for them, so he gets a nice 2-way contract) get there chance.

if anything, this board is harsh on Weber.

The dude makes less than a mill, doing 6/7 duties, with sometimes bigger responsibilities, in a tough market.

Everyone makes giveaways, but he's pretty decent for what he is paid.

What I think would be best, but don't think will actually happen is:

Vey out for Baertschi (SB a better winger of similar ilk and don't want Vey over our other centers)

Matthias and Richardson re-signed.

Higgins out. (older than hansen and less effective this year).

Hansen stays.

Leaves us with 5 starting centers: Sedin, Horvat, Matthias, Bonino, Richardson

Kassian stays.

Kenins stays.

Dorsett re-signed for 13th forward duties and we never stay healthy so probably plays most of the year.

Wingers are: Sedin, Vrbata, Kassian, Burrows, Baertschi, Kenins, Hansen, Dorsett, (Matthias might have to play wing)

For defense I like

Edler, Tanev, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Sbisa, Corrado, Stanton

Weber out for the sake of letting a younger prospect step into the 6-7 role and I think Stanton is under-rated and having a down year and we still have Clendening as a younger similar player to Weber, though right now Weber is better and I haven't liked Clendening much.

Now this should leave 1 spot open in the press box for a younger player to take someone's job if they are able to otherwise someone in the organization takes the spot. Could be Weber.

Also if a younger player can step up and beat out another player Richardson should be pretty easy to move if we don't expect much in return.

Virtanen, Cassels, McCann, Subban, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, etc get solid looks, but only get a spot if they've earned it. Hopefully 1 of them does and gives us a good problem.

Perhaps Virtanen takes the extra press box spot at the start of the year if he warrants some game action.

Leaves us with:

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Kassian Bonino Matthias

Kenins Horvat Baertschi

Burrows Richardson Hansen

Dorsett

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Bieksa

Stanton Corrado

Sbisa

_________

Seems like a well balanced line-up to me.

Notes:

- Happy to move / delete Richardson if something stronger available or a prospect earns it (Matthias to center if it's a winger)

- Probably move Jensen as I see his window closing and the line-up is stronger without him

- Prefer Corrado over Clendening from what I've seen.

- Wish Pedan was solid enough to play as he's a frightening fighter and seems to have potential as more than that.

This post is probably long and boring so thanks for reading.

All of those players have been more valuable than Kassian, based on their ability to actually play defence alone.

Next time you type why can't we score goals, remember what you wrote above. Seriously how many grinders does this team need; finally a player like Kassian who shows some upside of skill and somehow you rate the grinders higher then a young power-forward?

Sure the grinders can play defence but guess what: They can't score !!!

Next time you type why can't we score goals, remember what you wrote above. Seriously how many grinders does this team need; finally a player like Kassian who shows some upside of skill and somehow you rate the grinders higher then a young power-forward?

Sure the grinders can play defence but guess what: They can't score !!!

You can't just have just grinder and nor can you have a team without grinders. You need balance a mix of fast skaters, snipers, two way players, power-forwards and game-breakers.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Kassian Bonino Matthias

Kenins Horvat Baertschi

Burrows Richardson Hansen

Dorsett

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Bieksa

Stanton Corrado

Sbisa

_________

Seems like a well balanced line-up to me.

Notes:

- Happy to move / delete Richardson if something stronger available or a prospect earns it (Matthias to center if it's a winger)

- Probably move Jensen as I see his window closing and the line-up is stronger without him

- Prefer Corrado over Clendening from what I've seen.

- Wish Pedan was solid enough to play as he's a frightening fighter and seems to have potential as more than that.

Carefully thought out post but I have a few disagreements. First, as a minor point, Kassian normally plays RW and Baertschi normally plays LW.

I think the Canucks are unlikely to re-sign all three UFAs (Matthias, Richardson, and Dorsett).

The Canucks are unlikely to give up on Vey this quickly. He has not been great this year but he has been decent. Even though he is 23 this is his rookie year in the NHL and we should expect some age-related improvement as well as experience-related improvement next year. And all he needs is a small additional step to be a legitimate 2nd-liner. And he is (and will be) cheap.

Clendenning will be on the team. At 22 he is still young for a D and would definitely be expected to improve. The Canucks will not give up on him this quickly. And I think he has played well this year. He have absolutely not looked out of place as an NHL D this. With a bit more experience I would expect him to carry the puck a lot more. He could be the elusive PMD.

It would only be a small surprise if Pedan makes the team. I would not be surprised to see two of Tanev, Sbisa, Stanton and Weber traded for draft picks (at various levels) and Pedan actually make the team. What happens to Tanev depends a lot on how reasonable he will be in salary negotiations. I don't think JB will pay more that 4 million a year for Tanev.

As much as I like Richie, his tine here is done. I would much rather Dorsett and Matthias. Besides, Wilie wouldn't let his MH boy Dorsett (and Vey) just walk out the door. Hansen seems to be the odd man out as well. Would like to see some youth infusion in out lineup.

Vey, The Baer, and Kenins all make the club.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Higgins - Bonino - Vrbata

Baertschi - Matthias - Kassian

Kenins - Horvat - Dorsett

Vey

Gone: Richie, Badger

Lines subject to change. Could see Baer get some top 6 time, and I can't see BoHo on the 4th line for all of next season. Not gonna happen.

Elder - Tanev (a lock unless we trade for a #1)

Hamhuis - Clendening

Sbisa - Bieksa

Corrado - Weber

Gone: Stanton, Sanguinetti

Not much to change internally on D. Just some extra depth removal to give guys like Corrado, Pedan and Biega those injury-replacing minutes.

Miller

Lack

Gone: Markstrom, Ericsson?

Sell high on Marky Mark, he's been having a great season for Utica. Ericsson may not resign if he thinks he can get a backup job in the NHL, or a starting job over seas. If Utica wants to stay competitive for the Calder Cup, they need one of these guys to stay, or else the Canucks have some moves to make. Cannata is ok but I don't think he's the game 7 game-breaker you need for the playoffs. This reason is why the Canucks should heavily go after O'Connor. He can slot in for 40 games with Cannata. I feel that would be a good pair.

Seriously, what would they get for Markstrom at this point? His 8? minutes this year and few games last year make him look like a simpering wreck (like the Gallagher-like hyperbole?)

Give the man a showcase. Is he an asset to trade, keep or a career AHLer? C'mon Willie sh*t or get off the pot!

Well Kass is getting an audition on the first line. Really everything depends on whether he keeps the effort level up?

If he learns to be a pro through it; he always had the skills and physical abilities.

Sedin / Sedin / Kassian

Baertschi / Kadri / Vrbata

Dorsett / Horvat / Burrows

Kenins / Richardson / Hansen

Vey (Don't worry, will play, someone always hurt) / Higgins

Jensen first call up.

And why is Mathias gone even though I like him? Money, which gets spent on D!

Edler / Boychuck

Hamhuis / Tanev

Sbisa / Clendening

Stanton / Corrado (yeah I know 14 forwards, 8 D, 1 hurt minimum prob 2 = Also Jensen up there ^^)

Pedan first call up!

Miller

Lack

Trade : Bonino + Bieksa + Markstrom for Kadri and a swap of firsts (TO does not win lottery, so = 5th ish pick?)

Well Kass is getting an audition on the first line. Really everything depends on whether he keeps the effort level up?

If he learns to be a pro through it; he always had the skills and physical abilities.

Sedin / Sedin / Kassian

Baertschi / Kadri / Vrbata

Dorsett / Horvat / Burrows

Kenins / Richardson / Hansen

Vey (Don't worry, will play, someone always hurt) / Higgins

Jensen first call up.

And why is Mathias gone even though I like him? Money, which gets spent on D!

Edler / Boychuck

Hamhuis / Tanev

Sbisa / Clendening

Stanton / Corrado (yeah I know 14 forwards, 8 D, 1 hurt minimum prob 2 = Also Jensen up there ^^)

Pedan first call up!

Miller

Lack

Trade : Bonino + Bieksa + Markstrom for Kadri and a swap of firsts (TO does not win lottery, so = 5th ish pick?)

I don't think it really matters if Kassian stays on the 1st line or not, Surfer. We have Vrbata and Burrows, both signed, who can play in that spot and Kassian can play on other lines too. There is no pressure there other than to play well. It shouldn't affect any offseason moves.

I think many people are going to be kinda disappointed with the lineup next year if they are expecting 4-5 young guys in it. I have a feeling the lineup will look eerily similar to how it is right now. Maybe 1-2 guys gone and 1-2 new guys in. But any more than that is pie in the sky thinking.

... Which is what is gonna make this coming fall interesting. We're gonna HAVE to move some of the waiver elegible players unless JB is thinking of letting them walk for free.

I would like to see something like this.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian/Vrbata

Baertschi-Bonino-Vrbata/Kassian

Higgins-Horvat-Burrows

Kenins-Vey-Hansen

Dorsett (if resigned cheap enough. If not let him go)

Edler-Tanev (same as Dorsett about signing)

Hamhuis-Sbisa

Stanton-Clendening

Corrado

Doesn't leave a lot of room for Virtanen, Jensen, etc if they are ready. I have a feeling that Matthias is going to walk along with Richardson and Weber. Bieksa certainly seems like the odd man out unless Tanev asks for too much and is traded. Though I would rather we try to trade Bieksa and upgrade in free agency even if that is the case.

I would definitely rather have a better 4th line centre though as vey is not a great fit there.

Archived