The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ranking Prospects and Waiver Issues

JamesB

I think many people are going to be kinda disappointed with the lineup next year if they are expecting 4-5 young guys in it. I have a feeling the lineup will look eerily similar to how it is right now. Maybe 1-2 guys gone and 1-2 new guys in. But any more than that is pie in the sky thinking.

Well Horvat, Kenins, and Vey have more or less already made the team, and Baertschi is waiver eligible so I doubt they let him get scooped up for nothing after giving a 2nd for him. That's 4 guys who have a very solid shot at making the roster next year. Jensen is also a possibility as well. That's 4-5 young guys already, unless we are sticking to under 22 as the only young guys.

I doubt we see any new guys with 0 NHL experience (Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Virtanen) next year for more than a tryout (like Kenins, but he nailed the audition and forced the coaches hand). Maybe the year after we will.

Players now 24 or under already with us include: Horvat, Corrado, Clendening, Vey, Kassian, Kenins, the waiver grinder McMillan.

We are hardly a club of geezers now.

As it stands, if everyone is back...

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Matthias-Bonino-Vrbata

Burrows-Horvat-Hansen

Higgins-Richardson-Dorsett

Baertschi

Kenins

Vey

I think Benning would be stupid to let a power forward like Matthias walk unless he asks for a ridiculous amount of cash.

Dorsett can play as well as bringing an element of toughness that we need.

I also think Richardson is a perfect fit for the 4C slot, much more than Vey.

If we ship out a veteran winger (Higgins?) that lets Vey and Baertschi battle for that spot.. with Kenins starting with the Comets and being first-man up.

On D I like...

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Sbisa
Stanton-Clendening
Corrado

As it stands, if everyone is back...

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Matthias-Bonino-Vrbata

Burrows-Horvat-Hansen

Higgins-Richardson-Dorsett

Baertschi

Kenins

Vey

I think Benning would be stupid to let a power forward like Matthias walk unless he asks for a ridiculous amount of cash.

Dorsett can play as well as bringing an element of toughness that we need.

I also think Richardson is a perfect fit for the 4C slot, much more than Vey.

If we ship out a veteran winger (Higgins?) that lets Vey and Baertschi battle for that spot.. with Kenins starting with the Comets and being first-man up.

On D I like...

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Sbisa

Stanton-Clendening

Corrado

I don't disagree. I expect Baertschi to be brought along slowly on the 4th line. I see people suggesting 2 mil per season to keep Dorsett. No thanks at that price. If Matthias takes third line money and term keep him. If he wants a pay day as a top 6 then goodbye.

The problem is Benning has painted himself into a bit of a corner with the waiver eligibility of guys like Baertschi and Vey. I don't see them being 13th forward types on this team. That won't help them develop. I really don't see a true good fit for vey anywhere else though without some other moves.

I think if virtanen makes a push for the team next year the canucks should look at trading burrows even at trade deadline once virtanen settles in.

Third line next year:

Higgins/bartschi - horvat - virtanen

Burrows is getting older and has a 4.5 mil cap which is too high if he does not play in the top six. Kassian has shown some chemistry with the Sedins and burrows still has trade value to a contending team since he still has term.

I don't disagree. I expect Baertschi to be brought along slowly on the 4th line. I see people suggesting 2 mil per season to keep Dorsett. No thanks at that price. If Matthias takes third line money and term keep him. If he wants a pay day as a top 6 then goodbye.

The problem is Benning has painted himself into a bit of a corner with the waiver eligibility of guys like Baertschi and Vey. I don't see them being 13th forward types on this team. That won't help them develop. I really don't see a true good fit for vey anywhere else though without some other moves.

Yeah it's definitely an interesting situation Benning is in.. but at least it's a "good" one - on one hand you have some vets who you know can get the job done, on the other you have some young guys with quality upside. Vey is really the piece that is a hard fit, especially with the emergence of Horvat. He doesn't do it for me as a 4C, but if they want to keep him that's exactly where he is at the expense of a much more gritty Richardson.

I doubt it will be as simple as how I threw it out there - should be an interesting offseason. Hopefully JB can recoup the 2nd we spent on Baertschi (and more.)

Yeah it's definitely an interesting situation Benning is in.. but at least it's a "good" one - on one hand you have some vets who you know can get the job done, on the other you have some young guys with quality upside. Vey is really the piece that is a hard fit, especially with the emergence of Horvat. He doesn't do it for me as a 4C, but if they want to keep him that's exactly where he is at the expense of a much more gritty Richardson.

I doubt it will be as simple as how I threw it out there - should be an interesting offseason. Hopefully JB can recoup the 2nd we spent on Baertschi (and more.)

I see it the same way. Richardson would be a perfect 4th line centre if Horvat is moved up. Vey needs to be in the top 6 to be most effective but needs a lot more development to be effective there especially at centre. The trouble is there are better wing options too and that is not including a young guy like Virtanen possibly being ready.

Something like Markstrom, Vey, Sbisa/Stanton to Edm for a good prospect & pick might have to be in the pipeline...

At this moment, if Lack continues the way he does then you trade the guy with the highest value. Furthermore, Benning already claimed next years draft is deeper, coincidence? I think not.

Also, let's say we get eliminated in the first round; then, Miller should pack his bags. Either way it's going to be Miller or Lack leaving because Markstorm has a low value at the moment.

I think many people are going to be kinda disappointed with the lineup next year if they are expecting 4-5 young guys in it. I have a feeling the lineup will look eerily similar to how it is right now. Maybe 1-2 guys gone and 1-2 new guys in. But any more than that is pie in the sky thinking.

I believe you are right. McCann and Virtanen have the best chance of making it up. Richardson, Vey and Higgins may be the ones moved with a slight chance of Bonino going as well. We also have Ronalds Kenins involved in the mix. Tough call having to trade unknown performers for young unknown possibles. It will certainly be very interesting.

Sidenote: I believe Kassian is here to stay unless they can make some type of fantastic deal involving a high draft pick. My opinion anyway.......

At this moment, if Lack continues the way he does then you trade the guy with the highest value. Furthermore, Benning already claimed next years draft is deeper, coincidence? I think not.

Also, let's say we get eliminated in the first round; then, Miller should pack his bags. Either way it's going to be Miller or Lack leaving because Markstorm has a low value at the moment.

There is a difference between grandeos wishing and common sense thinking.

Going by your philosophy, you would trade Horvat because right now he is a very well sought after rookie and he might get you a good draft pick.

What have you gained? Why trade either of them. What does it accomplish to make the team better. Your asking price could not be met. It might sound great but is it that logical?

Markstrom cannot be sacrificed because of one game. How many games have Lack and Miller been pulled from this year. They need to see where he is at this season and then make a decision about him.

Signed for next year, we have:

Sedin

Sedin

Vrbata

Kassian

Bonino

Burrows

Higgins

Horvat (WE)

Hansen

Edler

Bieksa

Hamhuis

Miller

Lack

Jensen (WE)

Virtanen (WE)

McCann (WE)

Shinkaruk (WE)

Gaunce (WE)

Fox (WE)

Pedan (WE)

Cassels (WE)

Blomstrand (WE)

Cederholm (WE)

Blain (WE)

McEneny (WE)

RFAs:

Vey

Kenins (WE)

McMillan

Sbisa

Tanev

Weber

Stanton

Corrado

Clendenning

Markstrom

DeFazio (WE)

Baertschi

Eriksson (WE)

Zalewski (WE)

Grenier

Archibald

Andersson

Cannata

Conacher

Friesen

UFAs:

Matthias

Dorsett

Richardson

Biega

Sanguinetti

Acton

O'Reilly

Assume all waiver exempt players start the year in junior or minor (except Horvat), then we have a base roster of:

Sedin, Sedin, Vrbata, Kassian, Bonino, Burrows, Higgins, Horvat, Hansen

Edler, Bieksa, Hamhuis

Miller, Lack

I think we trade Lack this year for picks/prospects and re-sign Markstrom. Leaves us at 14 players.

Vey and Baertschi will stay with the big club or else they are wasted picks. 16 players.

Re-sign Matthias, Tanev, Dorsett, Stanton, Clendenning, Corrado and Sbisa for the Canucks. 23 players. Any further signings will have to risk waivers.

We probably want to make room for up to two prospects to make the team out of camp (Virtanen, Jensen, Shinkaruk and Gaunce could all be deemed ready. I guess 1 if not 2 of them make it.)

We have some cap room so I would rather have Matthias out since I think he's going to get too much and sign a guy like Soderberg or Vermette for 2nd line C with Burrows and Vrbata. Play Bonino sheltered with Vey and Baertschi. Other line can be Kenins-Horvat-Hansen. Eventually looking like:

Sedins-Kassian

Burrows-Vermette/Soderberg-Vrbata

Baertschi-Bonino-Vey

Richardson-Horvat-Hansen

Kenins/Dorsett

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Sbisa-Corrado

Clendening

Miller

Lack

We have plenty of PK guys in Richardson, Burrows, Hansen, Vermette/Soderberg, Horvat and even Dorsett if he comes into the line-up. The top 9 has a lot of skill which is nice. Hopefully Horvat can continue to develop and elevate his game.

1. Horvat (not really a prospect anymore)

2. Virtanen

3. Baertschi

4. Corrado

5. Jensen

6. McCann

7. Clendening

8. Gaunce

9. Shinkaruk

10. Markstrom

11. Cassels

12. Subban

I wouldn't rank Kenins in there because hopefully he's earned a full time spot on the roster with 10 NHL points in 16 games - better than even Horvat's production.

Here's what I'd like to see next season:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Baertschi - Bonino - Vbrata

Jensen - Matthias - Burrows

Kenins - Horvat - Hansen

If Kenins, Baertschi or Jensen don't do well, Vey slots right back in. If Shinkaruk and Gaunce are ready for the big leagues, give them a shot. It'll all depend on how these 5 or 6 kids perform in pre-season really, but there are positions available. In order to facilitate this, Benning has to trade one of Higgins or Burrows at the draft (maybe get our 2nd round pick back).

On defence, we're still pretty thin:

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Sbisa - Corrado

Clendening

Stanton

I'm comfortable with Edler, Tanev and Hamhuis playing 20 minutes a night, even next season, but not Bieksa. The guy's getting old and slower, and should be bumped down to 16 minutes a night of intense, physical play as a bottom pairing guy. Unfortunately, that means giving someone like Sbisa, Corroado or Clendening more minutes which is risky. Benning will have a decision to make as to which one of those RFAs he's going to keep, let go or trade. IMO we need a major overhaul on defence and we desperately need a true skill on the left side, hopefully someone we can acquire in a trade or draft, because we're thin after Edler and Hamhuis get old.

^^ On the left side, Pedan may be ready sooner than you think and Sbisa has also improved a lot over this year. With Stanton also in the mix, I think we're fine on the left side. On the right side, there's lots of depth now, but not quite the quality. If our 1st round pick goes to the best D available, I think we'll be looking good.

1. Horvat (not really a prospect anymore)

2. Virtanen

3. Baertschi

4. Corrado

5. Jensen

6. McCann

7. Clendening

8. Gaunce

9. Shinkaruk

10. Markstrom

11. Cassels

12. Subban

I wouldn't rank Kenins in there because hopefully he's earned a full time spot on the roster with 10 NHL points in 16 games - better than even Horvat's production.

Here's what I'd like to see next season:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Baertschi - Bonino - Vbrata

Jensen - Matthias - Burrows

Kenins - Horvat - Hansen

If Kenins, Baertschi or Jensen don't do well, Vey slots right back in. If Shinkaruk and Gaunce are ready for the big leagues, give them a shot. It'll all depend on how these 5 or 6 kids perform in pre-season really, but there are positions available. In order to facilitate this, Benning has to trade one of Higgins or Burrows at the draft (maybe get our 2nd round pick back).

On defence, we're still pretty thin:

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Sbisa - Corrado

Clendening

Stanton

I'm comfortable with Edler, Tanev and Hamhuis playing 20 minutes a night, even next season, but not Bieksa. The guy's getting old and slower, and should be bumped down to 16 minutes a night of intense, physical play as a bottom pairing guy. Unfortunately, that means giving someone like Sbisa, Corroado or Clendening more minutes which is risky. Benning will have a decision to make as to which one of those RFAs he's going to keep, let go or trade. IMO we need a major overhaul on defence and we desperately need a true skill on the left side, hopefully someone we can acquire in a trade or draft, because we're thin after Edler and Hamhuis get old.

I know that ranking prospects is a matter of individual perception....but what jumps off of the page for me is that you have Jensen ahead of McCann on your prospect rankings..?...I know that Jensen is farther ahead in his development,but I don't think that he has the projected pedigree of Jared McCann...Just my two cents.. :rolleyes:

I know that ranking prospects is a matter of individual perception....but what jumps off of the page for me is that you have Jensen ahead of McCann on your prospect rankings..?...I know that Jensen is farther ahead in his development,but I don't think that he has the projected pedigree of Jared McCann...Just my two cents.. :rolleyes:

Agreed. IMHO they are going to give McCann a very close look next year

I'm wondering if Vey and Bonino can fetch a decent return.

I don't think they will be good enough on this team in 1-2 years.

Bonino has good defensive awareness and a wicked shot but is too slow to be a 2nd line centre and I just really don't see Vey fitting in anywhere on this team.

I see a spot up for grabs between Vey and Baertschi next year and I bet Baertschi takes it.

One, maybe 2 guys will make it. 3 max. My guess is it will be Ronalds Kenins for sure Sven Baertschi. Followed by either Nicklas Jensen or Brendan Gaunce. Jensen more likely, in that I feel like Gaunce needs another year or so in the AHL. But if the Canucks want a player that can play wing and center, plus a gritty bottom role style. They go with Gaunce. Plus, with Kenins already in, it fills that roll. So most likely Jensen. If they want skilled top 9 forward, with speed and offensive prowess, they go with Jensen. My prediction, Baertschi and Jensen make the team.

Kenins, Baertschi, and Jensen.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Baertschi Bonino Vrbata

Kenins Horvat Jensen

Burrows Vey Hansen

Still the team looks crowded with no room for Higgins. And this is assuming Matthias and Dorsett both don't resign. I can honestly see a trade being made only because there are only so many spots available. Eventually, you have to make room if the young guys prove they are worth it.

• 5 weeks later...

wow not sure how kenins is a dime a dozen 10 points in 15 games hits passes scores 200ft player your a horrible judge of character

Hey canuktravella...how about now? Do you still think that Kenins is really special? Like I said, he's a dime a dozen. Would love to keep him, he's definitely a very very good 4th liner...but so are a bunch of other guys. He went from 10 points in 15 games to 12 points in 29 games. I hope we can keep him, he IS very good, but he's not too terribly special when compared with other 4th liners around the league. I would rate him a 3B or 4A. And if we can keep him and develop him I hope he's a solid 3rd liner one day.

Archived