The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If you were Willie D right now...

ThaManbeast

Lack will start. If we follow history with WD, he started Miller in games that the Canucks should win.

I think he started Markstrom against SJ because they're playing them again on Saturday and he wanted to give them a different look in goal for each game.

Having said that, I think that Markstrom should play asap. I would start him against Arizona. Willie won't, that means his next likely start would be Toronto on the 14th or Philly on the 17th.....that's too long to wait imo. Maybe he gets Anaheim on the 9th.

I want to see Markstrom play at least 4 games that count. He has played none so far.

Markstrom. Let him back at it against a weak team and see how he responds.

I personally think Willie messed up and should've played Markstrom against Buffalo. He practically threw him to the wolves versus the Sharks and I see no reasoning defending why he made that move. It's a 4 point game agains a division rival, ...just doesn't add up..

I think there was some hope that the group in front would play harder on defense knowing it was Markstrom, but obviously that didn't work out.

You start Markstrom unless you plan to play Lack until your either clinch or are out of the playoffs. Can't have the kid sit on the bench stewing over that last start and then expect to put him in 4, 5 or 6 games down the road and expect him to have any confidence..

I personally think Willie messed up and should've played Markstrom against Buffalo. He practically threw him to the wolves versus the Sharks and I see no reasoning defending why he made that move. It's a 4 point game agains a division rival, ...just doesn't add up..

This. Absolutely. WD ignored the history from last year and repeated it. For the Buffalo game Lack needed the rest after a couple of really hard games and Markstrom needed his coach's confidence. Neither got what they needed.

I wrote about it-with horror, having learned Lack would be getting the start, in he GDT for the Sabres game.

I think WD should try to take some pressure from the goalies by telling them he'd screwed it up and that it's on him, that he knows they're both real good, telling them ahead of time that Markstrom starts the next game (get back on the horse) and Lack the next 2 games after that.

But then, I don't expect all of that to happen. I get the sense from his goalie handling and his comments in starting Lack against Buffalo that WD wants one goalie to grab the bull by the horns and make Canucks his team. After the horrors of last season he may well not have the goalies for that to work right away, making a different approach, trying to build the confidence of both goalies, better in the short term.

He was bad. I know you are obviously cheering hard for him to succeed but you can't really have much of a worse game than that. I want him to be successful but no way in heck do I compromise a playoff spot to start a liability.

I'm cheering hard for anyone to succeed. This is Markstrom's only chance to get his confidence back. Lack can't get overworked, so even if we do start him every game do you think we'd get a playoff spot? No way. Our only chance is to get Markstrom's confidence back so he can be a back up when Lack needs a rest. This is the safest game to be able to get that back.

I would start Markstrom against Phoenix. If he plays well, great. If he doesn't, then he becomes a fixture on the bench. If he plays fantastic, I would start him again, vs San Jose. Let him get that out of his system. I think we all agree one of Lack or Markstrom will not be here next year. Right now, after that debacle, Markstrom MIGHT get us a 5th...MIGHT. Get him some time in net to steady himself, if possible.

Someone said only if we have a cushion do we play Markstrom. Um, just exactly what team are you watching? This current version is not going to provide anyone with a cushion, unless it's part of a wall in a round room. We beat the Islanders, on Long Island, 4-0; we lose to the Sabres 6-3. I don't see this team going on a hot streak long enough to provide that "cushion".

Markstrum - also lost the game in Florida - either we get a REAL Goal tender coach - that will get him rdy or ship him out - my mother is like it looks like the Canucks fans are PAYING the Sedins twins to lose .... What the hell is going on....

Note: Lack is showing he has what it takes... Luongo WHERE ARE YOU??

I would start Lack vs Phx. You shoot for the two points. Never overthink your scheduling. I actually liked starting Markstrom vs the Sharks. Nothing to lose there. Markstrom does well - you win. Markstrom loses, tomorrow's another day.

I disliked putting Lack back in, but I understand why Willie D felt he needed to do it.

Markstrum - also lost the game in Florida - either we get a REAL Goal tender coach - that will get him rdy or ship him out - my mother is like it looks like the Canucks fans are PAYING the Sedins twins to lose .... What the hell is going on....

Note: Lack is showing he has what it takes... Luongo WHERE ARE YOU??

luongone!

I'd start Markstrom. If he lets in two quick ones I'd give him the yank like they did yesterday.

We need to figure out who he can become-- Ben Bishop or Jason Missiaen?

What's good is that Lack can readily cover for him and steal a win back, and if Jacob does indeed have what it takes we wouldn't destroy his confidence by feeding him to the Ducks or another top team. Give him the soft starts, because IMO against a team like Arizona the offense should also be able to bail out their goalie, and I'd think that he'd want to prove that he can be trusted at the top level, even if it means starting against a weaker team.

I doesn't matter who starts if the rest of the team decides not show up again which happens to be there specialty agains bottom feeders. Oh and the sharks.

That said i'd start markstrom and make sure the team knows they owe him for how they played against Sjs.

This. But he was thrown in the shark tank, with d men splashing all around spraying blood in the water.

Archived