The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Race to 1,000pts.

So with Henrik recently hitting the 900pt mark I have spent some time looking through career numbers and seeing who is closing in on that 1,000 milestone.

Patrick Marleau is undoubtedly going to be the next player to amass that total next with only 21 points to go. Beyond that I wanted to see who you thought was going to reach that mark next and in what order. So here is a list of the next 10 forwards in career scoring that are currently playing in the NHL (sorry Heatly), age, points/remaining, and years remaining on their current contracts. I am curious what order you think they reach that milestone. If you don't think they reach it please state that.

Vincent Lecavelier(34) - 17 points this season(928) - 72 points remaining - 3 years remaining
Henrik Sedin (34) - 59 points (901) - 99 points remaining - 3 years remaining
Brad Richards (34) - 32 points(899) - 101 points remaining - UFA
Shane Doan (38) - 30 points (892) - 108 points remaining - 1 year remaining
Alex Ovechkin (29) - 67 points (881) - 119 points remaining - 6 years remaining
Daniel Sedin (34) - 56 points (861) - 139 points remaining - 3 years remaining
Pavel Datsyuk(36) - 52 points(856) - 144 points remaining - 2 years remaining
Sydney Crosby (27) - 64points(833) - 167 points remaining - 7 years remaining
Alex Tanguay(35) - 40 points(813) - 187 points remaining - 1 year remaining
Henrik Zetterberg(34) 51pints(771) - 229 points remaining - 6 years remaining

I would like to revisit this post in a few years and see the results. I feel the order goes something like this:

Henrik, Ovi, Richards, Daniel, Crosby, Datsyuk, Lecavelier, Zetterberg with Doan and Tanguay not reaching the mark. I also feel that Crosby and Datsyuk have the highest injury risk so Lecavalier could reach the mark before them if they suffer significant injuries.

So please post your thoughts on who reaches the silver stick achievement quickest!

Lol @hated.. Check your math skills bud... Seeing a as hank could reach this mark by next seasons end, finishing each season with 79 points (very realistic)

So what you are saying is in this timespan Crosby is going to put up. (bad math). Lol nice try :)

I see the ops list as pretty realistic. (At least some thought was put in). ;p

Lol @hated.. Check your math skills bud... Seeing a as hank could reach this mark by next seasons end, finishing each season with 79 points (very realistic)

So what you are saying is in this timespan Crosby is going to put up. 110 point season, and a 121 point season.. Lol nice try :)

The biggest difficulty I had was Hank vs Ovi and Daniel/Dats/Crosby. The first two are a wash and the last three are all injury concerns. I feel those 5 are all in the next 6 that hit the mark with Richards firmly the 3rd next to hit it. But it is an interesting race. 500 goals is a lot easier to sort out. Ovi will hit 500 first absolutely, but 1000 points is a race as all 10 players have a distance (at least a season) to go.

So what you are saying is in this timespan Crosby is going to put up. 110 point season, and a 121 point season.. Lol nice try :)

This guy^^^lol'ing at hatedkid's math skills when his own reading comprehension and math skills are lacking. Take a closer look, there mathlete...Crosby is 167 points short of 1,000. Crosby will likely get 20 more points this season, leaving him 147 to reach 1,000 so realistically, he'll reach this in 2016-2017. Get it?

Back to zombieksa's poll:

1-Henrik Sedin

2-Alex Ovechkin

3-Sidney Crosby

4-Daniel Sedin

5-Brad Richards

6-Pavel Datsyuk

7-Vincent Lecavalier

8-Henrik Zetterberg

9-Shane Doan (I say he retires before hitting 1,000)

10-Alex Tanguay (I say he retires before hitting 1,000)

Guest Dasein

Ovechkin and crosby are both going to reach it next. And they're both only 30

Definitely not

It's going to be between Hank and Ovie - Crosby is too far behind to beat them to 1000

I say Hank will be the next one to make it after Marleau. I'd suspect Crosby and Ovie will probably pass Lecavalier. Doan will probably retire a bit before he makes it, but I think Datsyuk will about catch him by the time of Doan's retirement.

During their heyday as the TBay-trio, would any of us have guessed StLouis would 'lap' Rich & LeCav, becoming twice the player they are? His career has been SO impressive.

Also OP, have you checked out career PO points? Poor Jammy Jags has been stuck at 199 pts forever...

During their heyday as the TBay-trio, would any of us have guessed StLouis would 'lap' Rich & LeCav, becoming twice the player they are? His career has been SO impressive.

Also OP, have you checked out career PO points? Poor Jammy Jags has been stuck at 199 pts forever...

I would think most of us would presume Lecavalier would become a star in his own making, however injuries have derailed his career later on during his Tampa years, which was extremely unfortunate for him. Seemed like he would have put up more offensive numbers than he currently has now because he had the tools and skill level to become just that.

Wonder if OV might become the first guy to officially snipe 900? Unlikely, but with his size/strength & Backstrom saucers?...

He'll be around 480 tallies, by season-end, it appears. Turns 30 in Sept.

Wow, almost 30. Crosby is turning 29 I believe in the summer. The Sids, Ovie's, etc are not so young anymore.

Wonder if OV might become the first guy to officially snipe 900? Unlikely, but with his size/strength & Backstrom saucers?...

He'll be around 480 tallies, by season-end, it appears. Turns 30 in Sept.

I feel pretty confident that, if healthy, Ovie will reach 700 for sure with an outside shoot at 800. 900 is a little far fetched IMO. Still… he has the potential to be the highest scorer ever but will probably finish behind Gretz. Big asterisk for Jagr though.

I think Ovie will also be the next player to 1000 after Marleau FWIW.

So what you are saying is in this timespan Crosby is going to put up. (bad math). Lol nice try :)

If you actually do the math you will see that at career point per game averages Henrik with his .84 per game would need 119 games to reach 1000 and Crosby with his career average of 1.37 points per game will take 122. All things being equal, it's not so outrageous to think Crosby will do it first. At current paces Henrik is scheduled to reach it 3 games earlier.

Crosby is 27, not 30 as mentioned above. Just under 7 years younger than Henrik. Henrik will be 35 to start next season and Sid will be 28. Crosby could easily do it quicker.

Ovechkin has a career PPG of 1.18 so is scheduled to reach 1000 in 101 games. Far ahead of both Crosby and Henrik.

Ovi has 5 full years on Henrik.

So if you do the math the poster isn't really wrong.

Archived