The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are more teams tanking for McDavid?

A quick look at the bottom 6 teams in the League, 14 points or 7 games difference in the bottom 6.

Especially with the Coyotes ditching almost everyone on their team and having a pretty much AHL roster. Are the worst teams being dismantled to try and snag 1st overall?

25) Toronto 64 Games and 57 Points

26) Columbus 63 Games and 56 Points

27) Carolina 62 Games and 55 Points

28) Arizona 64 Games and 47 Points

29) Edmonton 64 Games and 45 Points

30) Buffalo 64 Games and 43 Points

Are we seeing more than just Buffalo trying to win the draft lottery? Or just the worst teams are just realizing they need to build through the draft? Edmonton is just a mess, but there is room to move some it's assets and get significant return.

Thoughts?

Arizona may soon heat up in talks for contention of the McDavid sweepstakes.

We've known about a number of teams on a rather alarming skid that didn't appear to be trying very hard to ice a credible team for most of the season. Some got even worse at the deadline while some are just plain bad but still think they're kinda ok.

I think we've done the tanking argument to death at this point.

Don't think anyone can beat Buffalo to the race for the last place finish. Trading for Lindback AND Johnson as the goalie duo will pretty much guarantee they have a bad GA average.

As bad as most of these teams are, they have some okay goalies in them in Bernier, Bobrovsky, Ward (ok... this one is borderline). M.Smith, Scrivens to at least not be shelled every night.

I still can't believe how far Buffalo will go to get that 1st overall pick. What will they do now next season? No way will they be entering the season keeping the Lindback and Johnson duo together unless they agree with JB that next year's draft is even better.....

I'd prefer the bottom-feeders get a shot, as opposed to a strong team nabbing him.

Retroactive tears(over tanking) going all the way back to Lemieux/early '80s. At least Pitt played a flashy, eye-pleasing brand of puck over the yrs. Imagine if goon-squads like the Broons/Flyers were rewarded with such talent?

Nah, the NHL draft has always been pretty reasonable. The game's got other things to worry about

As an aside, the Sabres first line centre last game, Phil Varrone, was playing in the AHL up until about 3 weeks ago. Granted there were injuries that contributed to that happening, but if that doesn't blatantly prove that there is a tank job happening, then nothing will. :lol:

Amen to that brother. Methinks there are so many tank-happy posters here simply because barring a miracle we won't get a chance to draft Connor "the second coming" McDavid and there are a lot of sore losers on this board. I personally don't think any team is actually "tanking".

Amen to that brother. Methinks there are so many tank-happy posters here simply because barring a miracle we won't get a chance to draft Connor "the second coming" McDavid and there are a lot of sore losers on this board. I personally don't think any team is actually "tanking".

Agreed, McDavid will be a good player, but I don't think he'll make a Crosby like impact on whichever team he plays for. I also dont think any team is intentionally tanking. Although some teams fanbases may make it seem like they are tanking, I don't believe any team is actually trying to lose games and finish last.

Arizona, Buffalo and Edmonton are all definitely tanking and not even trying to hide it. Buffalo has to be the most blatant tank job on the books since Pittsburgh in the 80s.

Carolina and Toronto are just bad teams right now. Though it looks like Toronto is desperately trying to shave off as many points as possible between now and the end of the season.

As for Columbus, they could have been good this year but the injury bug bit them bad and they just didn't have the depth to stop the bleeding.

Agreed, McDavid will be a good player, but I don't think he'll make a Crosby like impact on whichever team he plays for. I also dont think any team is intentionally tanking. Although some teams fanbases may make it seem like they are tanking, I don't believe any team is actually trying to lose games and finish last.

BS. You don't end up with Anders Lindback and Chad Johnson as your goaltending duo without intentionally trying to lose.

A quick look at the bottom 6 teams in the League, 14 points or 7 games difference in the bottom 6.

Especially with the Coyotes ditching almost everyone on their team and having a pretty much AHL roster. Are the worst teams being dismantled to try and snag 1st overall?

25) Toronto 64 Games and 57 Points

26) Columbus 63 Games and 56 Points

27) Carolina 62 Games and 55 Points

28) Arizona 64 Games and 47 Points

29) Edmonton 64 Games and 45 Points

30) Buffalo 64 Games and 43 Points

Are we seeing more than just Buffalo trying to win the draft lottery? Or just the worst teams are just realizing they need to build through the draft? Edmonton is just a mess, but there is room to move some it's assets and get significant return.

Thoughts?

well at this point of the season there i no question about it. Most teams will do this actually, if it doesn't work out, they will sell high, and regroup for the next season and draft high.

Props to the teams that tried early on Such as Phoenix, Buffalo, Carolina, Columbus (these teams didn't want to tank)

teams that didn bother trying, Edmonton, Toronto (mid season tank) (these 2 disgraceful canadian teams didn't bother trying from the get go)

Hahaha I almost wanna see McDavid become the next Daigle just because of how hard Buffalo is tanking. I would never wish something like that upon McDavid, but it would still be funny.

Playing the odds, chances are much better that the Sabres don't get McDavid. The reason why the bottom teams are jockeying for absolute last is because the consolation prize is Eichel.

Playing the odds, chances are much better that the Sabres don't get McDavid. The reason why the bottom teams are jockeying for absolute last is because the consolation prize is Eichel.

was making a joke :P , but yeah, spot on.

Arizona may soon heat up in talks for contention of the McDavid sweepstakes.

We've known about a number of teams on a rather alarming skid that didn't appear to be trying very hard to ice a credible team for most of the season. Some got even worse at the deadline while some are just plain bad but still think they're kinda ok.

Please stop doing this.

Archived