The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(DISCUSSION) Horvat for rookie of the year?

Scorvat

Oh come on this is getting way ahead of things. He is 17th in scoring and playing on a 4th line.

He is a pleasant surprise this year and I think he will continue to develop into a very good NHL player.

But he has zero chance of being VOTED rookie of the year.

In a way its a silly award. Rookies can join the league with a huge difference in pro experience.

Hahahhaha this is just ridiculous. Horvat is good and will be amazing one day but currently he is not in the same ballpark as goudreau, forsberg,and ekblad as far as responsibility, and overall production. Dream on

Which means he plays less minutes. Itd be intersting to see how Bo lines up against forsburg with points per 60 minutes played now that i think of it.

Forsberg 2.28, Horvat 1.70. Retrieved just now from stats.hockeyanalysis.com.

As for the main point, Canucks still have 18 games left. Horvat would have to do something really spectacular in that time to come close to contending in the Calder voting.

Does anybody care? It isn't as if Bryan Berard, Sergei Samsonov, Chris Drury, Scott Gomez, Barret Jackman and Andrew Raycroft (among others) went on to have the best careers of players who were rookies in the years those players won the Calder. Except for the truly exceptional talents, the Calder is largely the result of the level of responsibility given in their rookie seasons, which isn't synonymous with future success.

Bo's been brought along carefully this season. He's had a successful rookie season and his future looks bright, but at least so far he isn't a contender for the Calder trophy. That's ok and doesn't mean he'll be any less successful. To give an example, the Canucks current 1st line center, who has won the Hart Trophy, the Art Ross Trophy and been a 1st team all-star, got exactly 0 votes in the 2001 voting for the Calder. His brother didn't do much better, getting 19 votes, 1 more than Roberto Luongo but trailing the winner by 546 votes.

Another center who did ok for the Canucks, Ryan Kesler, also got precisely 0 votes for the Calder. Markus Naslund also got 0 Calder votes.

Most of the Calder winners have good careers, but most players who have good careers don't win the Calder and many of them don't contend.

Klingberg Lee and Hoffman are all well into their 20's. Ekblad has gone straight from JR to the NHL without missing a beat. If Klingberg played in the NHL at 18 he likely would not have put up Ekblad type numbers. Or if you like, consider how good Ekblad could be three years from now.

Ekblad

Forsberg

Bo

Who cares how old they are? As long as they're under the age limit set for winning the trophy, age doesn't factor into the voting at all. Your statement is rendered invalid.

Who cares how old they are? As long as they're under the age limit set for winning the trophy, age doesn't factor into the voting at all. Your statement is rendered invalid.

The statement is very valid. Its way more impressive that Ekblad is doing this well as an 18 year old compared to Klingberg who was drafted four years ago and is not in his first pro season. Ekblad will win it, you'll see.

Guest Dasein

Horvat isn't even going to be a finalist, and that's totally fine by me

We know what we have in him

Forsberg, then Ekblad and Johnny Hockey

Hahahhaha this is just ridiculous. Horvat is good and will be amazing one day but currently he is not in the same ballpark as goudreau, forsberg,and ekblad as far as responsibility, and overall production. Dream on

He is ahead of them in responsability and overall productiin IMHO. Not point wise but EVERY other factor. Bo is the most mistake free clutch 19 year old ive ever seen. Maybe im being a little bias but its what i truly believe

Yeah, can't really see Bo winning the Calder.

If he's played the way he's been playing recently all year, then maybe (and with that, a top six role). but he's playing bottom six minutes, and he's also being sheltered from top lines. so doubt that he'll win ROTY

How is playing against Crosby, Thornton, Tavares, Malkin, Getzlaf and Toews being sheltered? He plays against the best in the league and holds his own. Is he a Calder trophy winner? No, he was too inconsistent at the beginning. Is he a huge value to the team? Absofrigginglutely!

The statement is very valid. Its way more impressive that Ekblad is doing this well as an 18 year old compared to Klingberg who was drafted four years ago and is not in his first pro season. Ekblad will win it, you'll see.

of course I agree that Ekblad is way more impressive than Klingberg. He deserves it way more. However, strictly speaking, the award doesn't take that into consideration. You could argue that Klingberg is having a statistically better season, but all things considered, Ekblad will probably win, due to the unconscious bias of the voters taking his age into account.

he's our rookie of the year, but the Calder usually goes to the rookie with the most points (or the rookie d-man with a crazy amount of points for a d-man). horvat doesn't have enough points to be considered by the Professional Hockey Writers' Association.

of course I agree that Ekblad is way more impressive than Klingberg. He deserves it way more. However, strictly speaking, the award doesn't take that into consideration. You could argue that Klingberg is having a statistically better season, but all things considered, Ekblad will probably win, due to the unconscious bias of the voters taking his age into account.

It's not only statistically... have you guys actually watched Klingberg play!? By reading your comments here it's pretty clear that you haven't! He moves like Bure up/down the ice and scores like Paul Coffey.

So it's more a matter of if you like a better defensively d-man (allround like Ekblad) or offensively (like Klingberg).

Age has nothing to do with it. That's why NHL has set an age limit!

However... Forsberg is putting up some impressive numbers and Johnny Hockey is awesome to watch. But if Klingberg continues to rack up the points, he's gonna be one of the three nominees for sure!

It's not only statistically... have you guys actually watched Klingberg play!? By reading your comments here it's pretty clear that you haven't! He moves like Bure up/down the ice and scores like Paul Coffey.

So it's more a matter of if you like a better defensively d-man (allround like Ekblad) or offensively (like Klingberg).

Age has nothing to do with it. That's why NHL has set an age limit!

However... Forsberg is putting up some impressive numbers and Johnny Hockey is awesome to watch. But if Klingberg continues to rack up the points, he's gonna be one of the three nominees for sure!

Yes I have. It's a gross exaggeration to say he moves like Bure and scores like Coffey. Lol.

Now in reality the most likely to win the rookie of the year is Forsburg or Ekblad. Thats only because of the points their putting up. Ekblad has exeptional numbers for a rookie Dman and Forsburg is just sniping goals like their nothing. But i think Horvat has to be SERIOUSLY considered for rookie of the year.

1. He is VERY good at FOs

2. He is always making smart plays with and without the puck.

3. He is arguably the most complete player on our team

4. He is scoring A LOT of timely goals. Very clutch

5. He makes very smart passes off the rush.

6. Barely and i mean barely makes mistakes. ( i say barely because i cant view all games. But the games i have watch i NEVER seen him make a mistake. But im sure he does which is why i say barely)

Im sure you get it. I honestly believe we have a superstar in Horvat. He is the most responsible 19 year old in the NHL. If the devils knew then what they know now it would have taken a lot more than just Schnieder to get Horvat.

Personally wben its all said and done i believe Ekblad will get it. But come on, Bo has atleast have to be considered.

I appreciate your position but he is not having a Calder year. He is a great local story. Nothing more, nothing less. Does he deserve consideration? Yes. Will he get much? No.

Just be happy we are going to get to watch this kid develop. Let's hope it just gets better over time.

He is ahead of them in responsability and overall productiin IMHO. Not point wise but EVERY other factor. Bo is the most mistake free clutch 19 year old ive ever seen. Maybe im being a little bias but its what i truly believe

a little bias?

You are acting like those parents who think their kid are the best in the world...

I like Bo and what you said is true, but those will not be enough to get him into calder consideration because there are other players who are hviang a way bigger role than Horvat right now in their team.

it doesn't mean Bo is going to be worse than those players.

Look, I'm starting to come around on Horvat. And while I still think the Canucks would have been better off drafting a defenseman, I like his potential and am pleasantly surprised how good he's been lately.

That said, without even looking at stats, I can name at least 5 other players (maybe more) that would be ahead of him in voting, NOT including Forsberg or Ekblad:

- Michael Hutchinson

- Johnny Gaudreau

- Mike Hoffman

- Mark Stone

- Adam Lowry

- Anders Lee

- John Klingberg

- Kevin Hayes

Jeepers. Horvat is doing alright, and hopefully he turns into what we all hope he will be. But please. He's not even on the shortlist. Of the guys I listed above, maybe 3 of them will end up being on the shortlist with Ekblad and Forsberg, depending on how their team finishes (i.e. Hutchinson, Gaudreau, Hoffman). But Horvat has no shot.

Yeah, can't really see Bo winning the Calder.

If he's played the way he's been playing recently all year, then maybe (and with that, a top six role). but he's playing bottom six minutes, and he's also being sheltered from top lines. so doubt that he'll win ROTY

Sheltered?

Archived