The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks have a better chance than you think...

80+ points... I hate to come across as a jerk here, but you're saying they're gonna get 20+ in the next 13 games? Damn, I hope you're right!

I'm not talking about this year. We're already way past the prime of this version of the Canucks. I'm talking about replacing a player that is in their prime capable of scoring 80 for a few seasons.

Sometimes beating your nemesis is what sparks a long cup run.

That series vs hawks in 2011 is an example. The other was 1994.

LA will be the toughest team to beat, but if they do beat them, they will have what it takes to win the cup.

Looking at the remaining games for us, LA and Calgary (see below) I'd have to say the quality of competition each faces is pretty even. It really will come down to consistency of effort.

Kings' Schedule

Mar 21 Canucks Kings
Mar 23 Kings Devils
Mar 24 Kings Rangers
Mar 26 Kings Islanders
Mar 28 Kings Wild
Mar 30 Kings Blackhawks
Apr 2 Oilers Kings
Apr 4 Avalanche Kings
Apr 6 Kings Canucks
Apr 7 Kings Oilers
Apr 9 Kings Flames
Apr 11 Sharks Kings

Calgary Flames’ Schedule

19 Mar Flyers Flames
21 Mar Blue Jackets Flames
23 Mar Avalanche Flames
25 Mar Stars Flames
27 Mar Flames Wild
29 Mar Flames Predators
30 Mar Flames Stars
2 Apr Flames Blues
4 Apr Flames Oilers
7 Apr Coyotes Flames
9 Apr Kings Flames
11 Apr Flames Jets

Vancouver Canucks’ Schedule

19 Mar Blue Jackets Canucks
21 Mar Canucks Kings
22 Mar Canucks Coyotes
24 Mar Jets Canucks
26 Mar Avalanche Canucks
28 Mar Stars Canucks
30 Mar Canucks Blues
31 Mar Canucks Predators
2 Apr Canucks Blackhawks
4 Apr Canucks Jets
6 Apr Kings Canucks
9 Apr Coyotes Canucks
11 Apr Oilers Canucks

The situation with LA reminds me a lot of Chicago in 2010-11, when they didn't qualify for the playoffs until the last game of the regular season. Then we got up on them 3-0, and they were still dangerous. LA is the same sort of team: even when they're having a bad year (by their standards) they're dangerous. It would be so much better to eliminate them in the regular season than have to face them in the playoffs. Even one victory in the remaining 2 games might be enough to get the job done. After that, it's basically a wash, and a sprint to the finish line against other teams.

This year is the best chance the Canucks will have for years to come. As great as it is that we have some young guys coming in soon, we don't have anyone to replace the Sedins 80+ points.

The next couple years the Sedins are still roughly 70 point players. Have a look at the point totals of Boston's top 6 the year they beat us for the cup. Krejci/Bergeron had 62/64 points as their 1/2Cs. Their highest scoring player was Seguin with 67. You don't need 1+PPG players to win a cup. You need depth and a good team with complimentary skill sets.

I figure we've actually got a pretty good shot in 17/18 as we'll have pretty insane depth and a good mix of skill sets assuming some of our prospects are at a level to contribute.

The next couple years the Sedins are still roughly 70 point players. Have a look at the point totals of Boston's top 6 the year they beat us for the cup. Krejci/Bergeron had 62/64 points as their 1/2Cs. Their highest scoring player was Seguin with 67. You don't need 1+PPG players to win a cup. You need depth and a good team with complimentary skill sets.

I figure we've actually got a pretty good shot in 17/18 as we'll have pretty insane depth and a good mix of skill sets assuming some of our prospects are at a level to contribute.

Ok. But they also had Chara, a 6'7 violent and arguably best defenseman in the league. Bergeron being one of the best two way forwards helped too. Compared to what, Hamhuis and Bonino? Oh, and they were one of the biggest toughest teams too. Had conn smythe winning goalie. Other than that, sure you're right.

Ok. But they also had Chara, a 6'7 violent and arguably best defenseman in the league. Bergeron being one of the best two way forwards helped too. Compared to what, Hamhuis and Bonino? Oh, and they were one of the biggest toughest teams too. Had conn smythe winning goalie. Other than that, sure you're right.

Hamhuis/Bonino may not even be here in 2-3 years FWIW. There will be advancing prospects, trades and UFA signings. Horvat will be better, Virtanen will likely be on the team any of Cassels, Gaunce, McCann, Tyramkin, Hutton etc, etc could be making meaningful contributions. Trying to guess what the team will look like or who might filling a "Chara" or "Bergeron" role at this point is a bit of a fools errand.

Regardless, your point was that we don't have anyone to replace the Sedins points. I pointed out that they should still be getting decent points in 2-3 years and with increased depth elsewhere we don't "need" them or anyone else putting up 80+ points if the team is constructed under that context. Which is exactly IMO what Benning is doing.

Looking at the remaining games for us, LA and Calgary (see below) I'd have to say the quality of competition each faces is pretty even. It really will come down to consistency of effort.

Kings' Schedule

Mar 21 Canucks Kings

Mar 23 Kings Devils

Mar 24 Kings Rangers

Mar 26 Kings Islanders

Mar 28 Kings Wild

Mar 30 Kings Blackhawks

Apr 2 Oilers Kings

Apr 4 Avalanche Kings

Apr 6 Kings Canucks

Apr 7 Kings Oilers

Apr 9 Kings Flames

Apr 11 Sharks Kings

Calgary Flames’ Schedule

19 Mar Flyers Flames

21 Mar Blue Jackets Flames

23 Mar Avalanche Flames

25 Mar Stars Flames

27 Mar Flames Wild

29 Mar Flames Predators

30 Mar Flames Stars

2 Apr Flames Blues

4 Apr Flames Oilers

7 Apr Coyotes Flames

9 Apr Kings Flames

11 Apr Flames Jets

Vancouver Canucks’ Schedule

19 Mar Blue Jackets Canucks

21 Mar Canucks Kings

22 Mar Canucks Coyotes

24 Mar Jets Canucks

26 Mar Avalanche Canucks

28 Mar Stars Canucks

30 Mar Canucks Blues

31 Mar Canucks Predators

2 Apr Canucks Blackhawks

4 Apr Canucks Jets

6 Apr Kings Canucks

9 Apr Coyotes Canucks

11 Apr Oilers Canucks

Those FLames vs Kings games are going to be HUGE!

I'd say the Flames have the easiest schedule. LA has the hardest. Canucks is no cakewalk either

Slightly off topic, but was just curious about Eastern teams' records against the West.

Was surprised to see that the Canucks are the only team in the Pacific Division with regulation wins against Pittsburgh (2 wins, 3-0 and 5-0) and the New York Rangers.

The Rangers, otherwise, are 10-0-1 against the Pacific and the Pens are 8-0-1.

The Canucks are also 1-0-1 vs Ottawa, who was otherwise 10-1-1 against the Pacific.

The Canucks are 13-2 against the Metro division - Anaheim is next best in the Pacific 9and the only other team over .500) at 6-4-2.

Calgary actually has the strongest record inside the division at 19-6-1.

Every team in the Central is .500 or better against the Pacific.

Guest Dasein

I was just thinking that we have a pretty decent chance so long as Calgary squeaks into that 3rd spot right behind us and Winnipeg or LA fall into that 4th spot vs ANA

Anything can happen in the playoffs, and being the underdog this time, there is no pressure nor expectation on this team. They can just play to have fun and see how far they can go

9 games remaining

Pacific division

pac_division_march_25.0.JPG

Western Conference

west_conference_march_25.0.JPG

Wow... Had we not dropped those easy games vs the likes of the sabers, devils, jackets... We would be looking at Kesler in the rear view mirror and watching him cry his eyes out.

apollo and I have decided that it doesn't matter who the Canucks face in the first round....Canucks in 3

I endorse this message.

Keep winning boys! Prove the doubters wrong.

As much as I hate to say it, anything can happen in the playoffs. I mean this year we finally have things we haven't had since our last cup run.

An actual 4th line (and a pretty damn solid one at that)
Scoring depth ( We have 9 forwards with over 10 goals!!!)
Defensive depth ( Hamhuis/Bieksa/Tanev/Edler/Weber/Sbisa/Stanton/Clendenning/Corrado)
2 solid goalies that are capable of stealing a game for us

As much as I hate to say it, anything can happen in the playoffs. I mean this year we finally have things we haven't had since our last cup run.

An actual 4th line (and a pretty damn solid one at that)

Scoring depth ( We have 9 forwards with over 10 goals!!!)

Defensive depth ( Hamhuis/Bieksa/Tanev/Edler/Weber/Sbisa/Stanton/Clendenning/Corrado)

2 solid goalies that are capable of stealing a game for us

And...................Hopefully some of Linden's Heart and Desire has rubbed off on some of the players. :towel:

Archived