The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What to do when Miller returns from injury

It_all_began_In_1970

Eddie has clearly made the jump to starter material. The biggest difference is his mental toughness. Watching last night , him getting run over by winggles , getting scored on twice then keeping his composure and coming back with a 38 save performance for the win proved to me he has made that step. He has been crazy impressive.

Every goaltender unravels now and again , but he's proven he has it mentally to push through and be a starter

Eddie can't string together three decent games to save his adorable soul and you think he's starter material?

we go with the rusty, cold, over paid , over rated miller and watch him play below average like he has for the majority of the season, and we lose out in the first round all to avoid a "controversy".

He's actually been above average but great that you have faith in him. He's actually 3rd in NHL standing for s/o's...that's a stat that reflects directly on HIM.

He's won more games (nearly double) than he's lost.

So don't let your personal bias get in the way of facts. And don't cherry pick stats..."big" picture.

Lack would want nothing more than to start every single playoff game.

I believe only Lack can speak for Lack. And, we'll see when Miller's ready to come back...that isn't now, so deciding at this point isn't really relevant.

And let's face it, ALL players want to play every game but you have coaches that decide on what they see.

He's actually been above average but great that you have faith in him. He's actually 3rd in NHL standing for s/o's...that's a stat that reflects directly on HIM.

He's won more games (nearly double) than he's lost.

So don't let your personal bias get in the way of facts. And don't cherry pick stats..."big" picture.

haha you pull out two stats one is definitely a team stat and then you tell me not to cherry pick stats...well played take your own advice. and no shutouts dont reflect directley on him . no stat directely reflects on anyone in a team game... this isnt baseball...get your head out of the clouds.

FYI Price's comments after the game last night " Shutouts really should be a team stat the team in front of me did a hell of a job" but i guess price doesnt know what hes talking about either.

haha you pull out two stats one is definitely a team stat and then you tell me not to cherry pick stats...well played take your own advice. and no shutouts dont reflect directley on him . no stat directely reflects on anyone in a team game... this isnt baseball...get your head out of the clouds.

FYI Price's comments after the game last night " Shutouts really should be a team stat the team in front of me did a hell of a job" but i guess price doesnt know what hes talking about either.

Start to finish....not a cross section that works for you.

We get it, you don't like Miller...that doesn't mean he's not our guy.

Get YOUR head out of wherever it is...I'm a fan of this team and all our goaltenders. Been down this controversial road and am quite happy to take a break from it. I am a #1 Lack fan but I also respect Miller and have confidence in him. You haven't from the start...but maybe that says something in itself? You'd already decided....give it a chance?

all you have to do is look at his game logs to know that isnt true at all...

All you have to do is watch him play. You think he's mentally strong because of last night? Mighty easy to ignore how he folded like cardboard against the Blues. Lack is a good backup, but he gets shaky in the absence of a veteran safety net. Last night was much more luck than it was skill.

Bottom line is it's really unfair to take away a player's starting spot due to injury in any sport. Without there being any way to play both of them Miller should automatically get his job back. However, with that being said...it's gonna be playoff time or very near it when he returns. There's very little room for error that time of year so if he falters in his return I'd like to see Willie not hesitate to put Eddie in. It's not really taking the job away from Miller, it's just doing what we have to do to win in the playoffs and Miller suffered an unfortunate injury that may impact his performance when he returns. If that's the case, Eddie should go in and Miller comes back to training camp in September with the job being his to lose again.

Goaltending is a huge mental game. Year after year this happens to many teams...the starter gets injured, the backup comes in and plays some great hockey and voila...the next goalie controversy. They say the mentally toughest positions in sports to play are baseball pitcher and hockey goalie...I say the mentally toughest position in all of pro sports is that of the NHL backup goalie. As long as he's sitting on the bench he knows he's #2...but when #1 goes goes down, suddenly he's #1 and the pressure may actually be off of him a bit. Look at our situation...do you think Lack is worried about losing his #1 status to Marksrom? No...so he can go out and play confident and relaxed each game. But when Miller comes back I have a feeling both Lack and Miller will suffer a bit, both looking over their shoulder a worried about the other guy taking away their job...sound familiar?

Its actually intersting. Assumin he comes back for the final 2-3 games of season do we play lack who has been playing or do we put miller in after being gone for soo long. Very interesting. Depends on how lack is playing. If hes hot then dont take him out

Start to finish....not a cross section that works for you.

We get it, you don't like Miller...that doesn't mean he's not our guy.

Get YOUR head out of wherever it is...I'm a fan of this team and all our goaltenders. Been down this controversial road and am quite happy to take a break from it. I am a #1 Lack fan but I also respect Miller and have confidence in him. You haven't from the start...but maybe that says something in itself? You'd already decided....give it a chance?

practice what you preach or dont reply to my comments.... dont tell me not to cherry pick stats (which i didnt, i just brought up CURRENT stats ,showing how each goalie has been performing CURRENTLY and thats what matters the most) and then you do what you just told me not to do and cherry picked 2 stats to make your point.. brilliant.

Its actually intersting. Assumin he comes back for the final 2-3 games of season do we play lack who has been playing or do we put miller in after being gone for soo long. Very interesting. Depends on how lack is playing. If hes hot then dont take him out

also depends on standings.. not a hard move to make to go to miller if we have locked up a playoff spot. then he would basically be in net for some no pressure games to get it together before the playoffs.. that would be best case scenario.

By that point hopefully we have a playoff berth locked up. We end the season with Arizona and Edmonton so there would be no better situation to ease him back in.

My biggest fear here is that he comes back too early in a scenario where we still need to win 2 of 3 or something similiar...we give the net to Miller, he plays well enough to get us into the playoffs and re-injures himself...now we truly would be going with a goalie that has zero playoff experience...but that would take a perfect injury storm...never happens to us!

When Miller is ready to go, you give him the net with a short lease as we will be fighting for a playoff spot right until the last week. You go with the best chance to win and if Miller can't provide that then go with Lack, he'll if MARKSTROM gets another start and he lights it up and gains some confidence then let him run with it. We need wins.

also depends on standings.. not a hard move to make to go to miller if we have locked up a playoff spot. then he would basically be in net for some no pressure games to get it together before the playoffs.. that would be best case scenario.

Even if we cliched playoff spot we would most likely be playing for home ice. But if that was the case id go with miller win or lose just to get him game ready for playoffs

Archived