The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What to do when Miller returns from injury

It_all_began_In_1970

Considering we are suppose to be looking to the future with this team, I hope that Lack gets at least one playoff game under his belt (or more if we make it past the first round). This would be great experience for him. Obviously Miller is our number one guy but I think the experience would be good for Lack.

Admirable doesn't win Cups.

Adn seriously Riviera82. Don't start. Isn't it interesting that before his injury, Luongo was leading the Panthers to the playoffs while Schneider, better numbers, can't bring his team to the big danse?

Queue reasons.

Not really. Florida just has a far superior team to NJ. It's not rocket science.

Don't care how the Canucks do in the playoffs frankly.

Care about long term success. We haven't seen Markstrom. We have to see Markstrom. The game he started was a freakish disaster for him and he had to be yanked. It means nothing.

No matter what Eddy does until Miller comes back, will it change anybody's opinion of him? No. Miller will go back to being #1 and Eddy will be the back up.

And the bigger question remains, which goalie gets traded?

No question that when Miller comes back he's #1, Lack is still an apprentice. Somewhere Along the way Markstrom needs a win in the NHL so he gains experience and doesn't go back to the AHL with a shattered confidence . It is tough to trust him when we're in a tight playoff race , after the last game he played, but he needs 1 more start somewhere in the schedule.

You totally have me convinced Chrisbanks. I really believed that Miller was our Number one guy but your solid logic and year long hatred of Miller now have me totally in your camp.

By the way I really miss your analysis of how every goal is totally the goalies fault.

When did you stop being the Canucks defacto "goalie coach" ?

Oh yeah, it was when Miller got hurt.

Instead of ragging on one guy all year, why not get behind the whole team.

Obvious bias is obvious.

Go Ryan! Go Eddie! Go Canucks!

If the Canucks make it into the playoffs, it will be largely due to the play of Lack. Miller might be ready by the start of the playoffs. Why start Miller? Why start Lack?

You go with who is playing the best. Period. The objective is to win, is it not, not to stroke egos?

When Miller returns WD will use him as the #1 guy. Whether it happens quickly will be up to the coach, but he's going to use Miller as the #1-he's made that clear this season. I don't think WD is a fan of goalie controversies.

I hope Eddie plays well enough during Miller's absence so that he increases his trade value for next season. I like Lack, but suspect he's likely going to be the one that it will make most sense to trade. If during Miller's absence Lack is a capable starter it should increase his value to other teams.

Unlike some others on here, I expect Markstrom to be a capable NHL backup next season.

we go with the rusty, cold, over paid , over rated miller and watch him play below average like he has for the majority of the season, and we lose out in the first round all to avoid a "controversy".

Tell us how you really feel...

Tell us, instead of bashing our number 1 goalie, who should play that has better stats than Miller?

gallery_37831_83_1507.jpg

When Miller returns, just try and be happy with him being in net, that's the best we can do.

I've never been happy with the idea of paying goaltenders $6M+ in the last 10 years, unless their names are:

- Jonathan Quick

- Carey Price

- Henrik Lundqvist

- Pekka Rinne

- Martin Brodeur - Hate him, think he's overrated, but he was elite

- and MAYBE Corey Crawford. He's incredibly underrated and is very consistent

Right now, the difference between goaltenders like Luongo and Miller to goaltenders like Eddie Lack and Michael Hutchinson is age, salary, and drive.

There's a huge difference between an elite goaltender and a very good goaltender; but there isn't a big difference between a very good goaltender and a good goaltender. Goalies like Lack and Hutchinson work just as hard as goalies like Luongo and Miller, if not harder at this point. They want that contract and their bodies aren't as beat up as "proven" goalies in their 30s.

As a former goalie, the position I watch and study the most is goal. I have nothing against Miller, but it's not as if his backup goaltender is Anders Lindback, Chad Johnson, or Matt Hackett. And I like Benning, some of his moves have been good, and some have been questionable. All GMs make poor or questionable moves. I thought that getting Miller in free agency was a mistake, because Lack had good form, was driven, and seemed to be steady enough to sneak the team into the playoffs; which is also how good the team is in front of him, good enough to sneak into the playoffs.

Miller signing was a mistake, but we just have to grin and bare it.

When Miller returns, just try and be happy with him being in net, that's the best we can do.

I've never been happy with the idea of paying goaltenders $6M+ in the last 10 years, unless their names are:

- Jonathan Quick

- Carey Price

- Henrik Lundqvist

- Pekka Rinne

- Martin Brodeur - Hate him, think he's overrated, but he was elite

- and MAYBE Corey Crawford. He's incredibly underrated and is very consistent

Right now, the difference between goaltenders like Luongo and Miller to goaltenders like Eddie Lack and Michael Hutchinson is age, salary, and drive.

There's a huge difference between an elite goaltender and a very good goaltender; but there isn't a big difference between a very good goaltender and a good goaltender. Goalies like Lack and Hutchinson work just as hard as goalies like Luongo and Miller, if not harder at this point. They want that contract and their bodies aren't as beat up as "proven" goalies in their 30s.

As a former goalie, the position I watch and study the most is goal. I have nothing against Miller, but it's not as if his backup goaltender is Anders Lindback, Chad Johnson, or Matt Hackett. And I like Benning, some of his moves have been good, and some have been questionable. All GMs make poor or questionable moves. I thought that getting Miller in free agency was a mistake, because Lack had good form, was driven, and seemed to be steady enough to sneak the team into the playoffs; which is also how good the team is in front of him, good enough to sneak into the playoffs.

Miller signing was a mistake, but we just have to grin and bare it.

I'll just say this that I agree about most of what you said.

But for the bolded part, I'll have to disagree.

Miller was definitely not a mistake. Alright, the money doesn't look good for a 34 year old goalie. However, where would this team be without Miller? We're in a playoff spot because of our goaltending. Lack has been great, but if you were to choose between a goalie to play against teams like CHI, L.A, SJ, ANA, NSH, WIN, who would you start? The older, more proven, and better goalie or the backup?

But my point is that Benning wants our team to compete. He wants us to make the playoffs. We have a team that is capable of winning. Eddie Lack is great, don't get me wrong. Miller gives us that. Without him, I don't think we'd be a playoff team right now as we are currently.

so true some think canucks have a good team in front of him more like a ahl team. rookie mistakes lol, like hamhuis passing up turnovers all game its amazung lack has any wins at all miller wouldnt have got a point against san jose or arizona

You see, these are the posts that piss the crap out of me.

During the stretch when Edler and Tanev were injured, who was the one who kept our rottened defense from rotting even more?

Hamhuis.

Who played 22+ minutes and brought stability to our weak defense?

Hamhuis.

Hamhuis has one off game against PHX, and you start to forget all the amazing things he's done for us while our Edler/Tanev/Bieksa were injured.

And you say we are an AHL team when we have:

-Sedins in top 10 NHL in points.

-Top 5 P.K.

-Currently in a playoff spot.

etc...

:frantic:

Here is an interesting stat.

Total Goalie saves so far this season,

Canucks goalies have the most and Miller has the bulk of those

Notice that the top 9 teams are all playoff teams at the moment

canucks_saves.0.JPG

im not sure where you got that from, all sorts of inaccurate and doesn't seem to be even remotely true.

Canucks goalies have made 1742 saves this year. What's inaccurate about that?

the list itsself... none of the top 10 teams in shots against per game is even on it .. Toronto, bernier+reimer have 1976 combined saves way more than the "#1 ranked canucks" and NJ ,schneids+kinkaid have 1808 saves also not on the list... im sure i could look up the rest of the teams on the top 10 shots against list and their goalies have more combined saves... not sure how canucks could be ranked 16th in shots against and be the leader in saves... we would have to almost never get scored on.

Archived