The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

WHEN JOHNNY COMES HOME

granpappy

lol the newer generation will probably be even less incline to play for Vancouver. We are notorious for turning on it's own player and running them out of town and if they grew up and followed the canucks in recent years.. they'll have seen it first hand.. so why play with all the pressure of playing in your hometown and risk being turned on and run out of town?

I understand where the Op is coming from, his wishful dreams of local boys (lower mainland, BC) wanting to be Canucks.

I think there are two major impediments to this being a reality aside from normal hockey business transactions.

1. - Money

2. - Winning Culture

We need at least a ten year period of SCF and Cup winning appearances for future players to grow up as hard core fans desiring to play for the Canucks.

Few have and it's highly doubtful that many would in the course of normal draft, or trade practices, even in a winning culture.

As for the title of this thread, maybe you would have had to have been a Canuck fan prior to 1970 to understand it.

I think travel is still a huge issue, especially for older players with families. How many nights do you sleep at home when playing for New York than Vancouver? It matters.

Most upcoming UFAs re-sign, happens every year. And the more talented kids get more offers - and Vancouver never seems to offer the biggest contracts.

I'd love to see some local boys on the roster, but don't hold your breath. It's still a business, and most young players choose to cash in on UFA.

Most upcoming UFAs re-sign, happens every year. And the more talented kids get more offers - and Vancouver never seems to offer the biggest contracts.

I'd love to see some local boys on the roster, but don't hold your breath. It's still a business, and most young players choose to cash in on UFA.

as i said, around the time these fellas will be verging on free agency, we should have loads of cap space with all our vet's expiring contracts in the next few years. i can't recall having been in that sort of position for some time so . . . if there is any interest of playing in front of the home crowd, we should at least be able to offer a decent enough sized contract to be competitive in a bidding exercise

as i said, around the time these fellas will be verging on free agency, we should have loads of cap space with all our vet's expiring contracts in the next few years. i can't recall having been in that sort of position for some time so . . . if there is any interest of playing in front of the home crowd, we should at least be able to offer a decent enough sized contract to be competitive in a bidding exercise

I suspect that playing in front of the home crowd is a much bigger thing for the fans than for veteran players.

Archived