The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How many of you have had your bank cards/credit cards compromised?

johngould21

Be very careful when using your debit cards. I've been compromised once, and my son and daughter in law twice. I've had bank officials tell me never to use a bank card at a business if at all possible. Use them only at YOUR bank branch. Too many slimeballs out there for my liking.

Yep, and more than once.

Twice I received phone calls from my bank asking me if I was somewhere I was not and the transactions were stopped. There is always a chance that someone slipped a purchase or 2 by me here or there as sometimes I don't check my statements.

BRB, checking transaction history...

Be very careful when using your debit cards. I've been compromised once, and my son and daughter in law twice. I've had bank officials tell me never to use a bank card at a business if at all possible. Use them only at YOUR bank branch. Too many slimeballs out there for my liking.

One tip is to periodically check sites like Pastebin to see if your personal information is on there..

The scariest thing that ever happened to me was when someone posted my resume on there lol.. without my permission.

I shopped that time at Target when their system was hacked, and my bank put a limit on my card of $200 per day for a while. The bank sent me a new card twice, changed my pin, and un-tied by savings account to my debit card. I don't really use my debit card. I have a credit card that I use mainly.

Never, though I did have my passport stolen.

Personally, I make sure to always somewhat cover up the keypad when inputting my PIN. I know it doesn't protect against all kinds of fraud, but it probably helps a bit.

My credit union has deactivated my card a few times over the years as a precaution. Apparently I used my card at a potentially comprised machine. Never lost any money though. Buddy of mine lost around $800 bucks a couple years back. Was a total pain in the ass for him to get his money back.

It only has to happen ONCE. Sure is a real pain in the buttocks, explaining how you weren't in Tokyo, when you are standing in front of the bank officials an hour after a transaction was supposedly done. This is your dad speaking, if you don't need to use a debit card, don't.

It happened to me through hacking, I purchased something online and some financial middle man for the website was hacked and a bunch of credit card numbers were stolen including mine.

The funniest thing about it was my bank didn't see any warning signs when the same 500kr purchase was being made 17 times until my credit max was reached. Honestly you'd think after 3 or 4 they'd red flag it. Luckily there was a big thing about it, so my bank refunded me within a week.

I think it's best to file a police report even though they probably won't look at it, which is what I did. I think the banks know you're being serious when you file a police report. I even said that to the police woman who called me up, "what do you want us to do about it?" "I know you ain't gonna do squat about it, I only did it so I know the banks will take me seriously".

i ordered stuff from CDW online once and the punk who was my supposed account rep stole or sold my CC info and there was thousands racked up on my card from various retailers in N.A.

it took me 4 months to get it all cleared up and thankfully i didnt end up paying anything.

now whenever i make an online purchase i have to phone my CC company and let them know the purchase is legit before they will authorize it.

keep an eye on yer accounts!!

I use my debit card all the time, and my visa occasionally. I've never had a problem with my debit card in two decades of use, and only once with my visa after a Mexico trip (which my bank promptly dealt with after proactively contacting me). If you're smart about where you use your cards and pay attention to what the cashier does with it (if you can't swipe yourself) then you aren't likely to have an issue. I use cash only at certain places and keep some on me for that reason.

If you follow that rule of common sense, unless something happens like Target getting hacked you should be fine. But then if a big outlet like Target gets hacked then it might as well be your bank or somewhere else that has your information already getting hacked and it won't matter anyway.

Archived