The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Van Philly

To Philly

Markstrom

Bonino

To Van

Couturier

Philly gets longer term center at great cap hit.Cap being an issue for Philly And a goalie......

Vancouver gets a decent faceoff man, play heavy minutes, gets younger and good 2/3 center to pair with Horvat for next year.

I would be willing to take Pronger contract back if we could make cap space work.

Not even close to fair value for Couts. Philly uses Pronger on LTIR, so adding him to the deal makes no difference.

It does make a difference. The cap hit can't be used until after dropped to LTIR after first day of the season

It does make a difference. The cap hit can't be used until after dropped to LTIR after first day of the season

They've been using it for years with no penalty as has Boston with Savard. It doesn't affect their cap situation.

This is a myth and completely FALSE. You are not the only person to believe this in fact the majority of fans believe this to be true. I don't know how this continues to perpetuate but here is the link explaining the rules of LTIR. Its not that hard to understand provided you take the time to read it. I would try to do it myself but I am tired of repeatedly posting the same explanation but capgeek does a decent enough job anyway.

http://web.archive.org/web/20141005074923/http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-does-long-term-injured-reserve-LTIR-work

This is a myth and completely FALSE. You are not the only person to believe this in fact the majority of fans believe this to be true. I don't know how this continues to perpetuate but here is the link explaining the rules of LTIR. Its not that hard to understand provided you take the time to read it. I would try to do it myself but I am tired of repeatedly posting the same explanation but capgeek does a decent enough job anyway.

http://web.archive.org/web/20141005074923/http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-does-long-term-injured-reserve-LTIR-work

Thanks, didn't know about option 2.

OPTION 1: Build the injured player into their opening-day roster and have that roster fit as close to the upper limit as possible without exceeding it, then place the player on LTIR.

By way of example, the upper limit is $70.0M and a team’s Averaged Club Salary or cap payroll on the final day of training camp is $71.5M, including an injured player with an Averaged Amount or cap hit of $2M. The same day, the team demotes two players each with $750K Averaged Amounts, reducing their Averaged Club Salary to exactly $70.0M. Then it files its opening-day, 23-man roster to the league and places the injured player on LTIR. The team’s new upper limit is $72.0M instead of $70.0M for as long as the player remains on LTIR.

Had the club demoted $2.0M in Averaged Amounts instead of the $1.5M in the example above, their Averaged Club Salary would have been reduced to $69.5M from $70.0M, and their new upper limit would be just $71.5M as opposed to $72.0M. This highlights the importance of having the roster fit as close to the upper limit as possible before making the LTIR designation.

OPTION 2: Put the injured player on LTIR on the final day of training camp and, including the injured player’s annual average salary or cap hit, build a roster that exceeds the upper limit by an amount that is as close as possible to the injured player's annual average salary.

By way of example, the upper limit is $70.0M and a team’s Averaged Club Salary or cap payroll on the final day of training camp is $71.5M, including an injured player with an Averaged Amount or cap hit of $2M. The team places the player on LTIR on the final day of training camp and is deemed to have already fully replaced the injured player, meaning the team’s new upper limit is $71.5M instead of $70.0M.

Had the team recalled a player with a $500K cap hit prior to making the LTIR designation, its Averaged Club Salary would have increased to $72.0M from $71.5M, and likewise its new upper limit would have increased to $72.0M from $71.5M. This highlights the importance of a team having its Averaged Club Salary exceed the upper limit by an amount as close as possible to the injured player’s Annual Average before making the LTIR placement in order to maximize cap space.

A team may make some paper moves to get as close to the cap as possible before putting an injured player on LTI, but they can put them on right at the start so it's not like they have to have that player fit under the cap to start with.

That's what it sounded like you were saying, but if you were saying that they use his cap space to go over the cap (which of course they are right now) then that makes sense. I don't think they'll trade him for that reason either.

EDIT: but the proposal. I doubt Philly is that interested and I don't know that the Canucks feel that's appropriate value for those two pieces either. Paper value is fine, but team needs (i.e. a second line center) aren't quite right since although Couturier can play 2nd line center, he's more of a top 3rd line center on a good team. He does have the same points as Bonino, but in more games.

You can't be put on ltir during the off-season but if you finish a season on ltir you are automatically on ltir when the next season begins. Both situations has happened to Burrows. One season he finished the year but needed off-season surgery. He couldn't be put on ltir until the first day of the season. Then another season he finished the year on ltir and remained there until Dec the following year.

Archived