The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Trade Hamhuis

Plum

Some might not like it but I think Hamhuis might be a great decision. He's a recent Olympian, so his value his high and I think some believe he's still a #1 or a really good #2. He's a #3 on our team and doesn't look too good in recent games. Edler looks great with Tanev, he struggled in the 2 games without Tanev like Elliotte Friedman mentioned during the pre-game. He looks better now, Hamhuis looks great beside Tanev. Leads me to believe Tanev is our best defenceman, Edler is there to stay with Tanev. I think Hamhuis is the odd one out because he can't skate the puck into the offensive zone and looks weak out there.

Hamhuis was on a Canadian Olympic team just 13 months ago. I think we can get a 1st + B prospect for Hamhuis. A team like Florida or Buffalo might be a good place to trade him to because they have a good future and nothing better than adding a guy who could be their leader back there. Maybe a change in system is all Hamhuis needs because he was great when he made the Canadian team.

NTC might be hard but Buffalo is an up and coming contender, Florida is a great place to live with also a good future coming up. Garrison also got traded when he had a NTC.

What does the trade deadline mean to you?

If you are taking about the summer, a lot of different things can factor in which doesn't apply now. Have we signed Tanev? Are we going to sign some UFA Ds (Boychuk, Staal, Franson).

So instead of a proposal to trade away our core, I'd enjoy our playoff run now.

Any trade involving a code player like hamhuis is going to depend on this playoff run, as it looks like we'll make it. Another stinker of a first round exit and we may see a key piece moved. Hamhuis would still yield a good return, however, as others have mentioned he has an NTC and signed at a discount to play here. He may not waive.

What does the trade deadline mean to you?

If you are taking about the summer, a lot of different things can factor in which doesn't apply now. Have we signed Tanev? Are we going to sign some UFA Ds (Boychuk, Staal, Franson).

So instead of a proposal to trade away our core, I'd enjoy our playoff run now.

Yeah the draft/summer.

Tanev will get re-signed. Considering the logjam at D, I don't expect us to have 8-9 defencemen on our NHL roster. I also hope Benning doesn't get rid of Corrado over Clendening because Clendening is his guy.

Edler-Tanev

Sbisa-Bieksa

Stanton-Clendening

Corrado

Not too bad?

I say wait til the deadline next year...if we aren't in sight for the playoffs then deal him away as we will probs get more value from the deal then from him sticking around.

But if we are again in a playoff looking situation than keep him.

I like to see how Sbisa emerges from this next year...if he can really step up his game a bit more I'd be comfortable losing Hammer. Only reason as of right now Losing Hammer would hurt our team bad as his stability is just so key.

Problem is that we're really weak in LD depth. It's our weakest position organizationally.

On the right side we have Tanev, Bieksa, Clendening, Corrado, Weber, Biega...loads. But after Edler, Hamhuis, Sbisa, and Stanton, there's not much on the left. It's the opposite problem we had for a while - tonnes of LDs, but not enough on the right.

Because of that, if any vet D-man gets traded, I think it's most likely going to be Bieksa.

man trading Hamhuis after he took a pay cut to play here would not be good for future UFAs.

I feel as though this is a poor argument.

They said the same thing about the Garrison trade. Luongo trade. Hodgson trade. not paying Ehrhoff enough Malhotra dealings not signing Naslund to what he wanted Bertuzzi and on and on and on.

This argument is so full of holes one might think it was lack in net against Buffalo

I feel as though this is a poor argument.

They said the same thing about the Garrison trade. Luongo trade. Hodgson trade. not paying Ehrhoff enough Malhotra dealings not signing Naslund to what he wanted Bertuzzi and on and on and on.

This argument is so full of holes one might think it was lack in net against Buffalo

Valid points. However we need more strength on the right side. Hence, trading Bieksa is probably a better idea.

Next trade deadline have a sit down with him...Is he really about this team and being apart of it? if he is then trade him at the deadline and cash in, after this years deadline prices he should fetch a first and a prospect

In the off season he can come back and sign here, Canucks give him a playoff run with a top contender while he helps us get better for the future

Why trade a solid nhl defender and sign someone else?

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-corrado

Stanton-bieksa

Sbisa-clendening

Weber is expendable and if Sbisa wants out then so be it. Corrado and clendening can battle it out for the 6th spot as neither has shown real signs of being ready for 20mins a night in the nhl

It's a tough decision to make for sure.

It could either work out as 1) successful building for the future by getting prospects who fit (from the high pick and prospect/ almost ready NHL player like the Erat/ Forsberg, or Mike Richards deals),

OR

2) totally bust (the Legwand, Clowe, etc. deals to get middling prospects who don't pan out).

I'd personally hope to keep him as part of the core given the risk of the returned assets not panning out. If we do move him, I'd hope to get a young player with visible potential as (part of) the return OR we'd better sign a replacement top-4 D-man (I doubt that Luca will be the guy unless he learns to make the safe play). If we're tanking by next deadline, then of course, by all means move Community Man Dan and Juice (I'd move Juice now if we could!) but there's a risk that a trade like this could bust as he may be the sole proven asset moved, and as touted as prospects get they're not surefire assets.

With Benning's willingness to deal picks for NHL ready players, I would take picks, and see what Benning comes up with.

So what would Hamhuis be worth to Edmonton, a team that so desperately need veteran leadership. As for the Canucks, we could use the free agency market to fill Hamhuis's spot, or promote from with in.

I could see Hamhuis, Higgins and the rights to *Richardson going to Edmonton for Pittsburg's 1st (23OA) + Edmonton's 2nd (32 OA)

(*conditional 2017 3rd if Richardson doesn't sign)

That is some serious leadership to Edmonton and Vancouver can replace that internally

With Benning's willingness to deal picks for NHL ready players, I would take picks, and see what Benning comes up with.

So what would Hamhuis be worth to Edmonton, a team that so desperately need veteran leadership. As for the Canucks, we could use the free agency market to fill Hamhuis's spot, or promote from with in.

I could see Hamhuis, Higgins and the rights to *Richardson going to Edmonton for Pittsburg's 1st (23OA) + Edmonton's 2nd (32 OA)

(*conditional 2017 3rd if Richardson doesn't sign)

That is some serious leadership to Edmonton and Vancouver can replace that internally

I'd probably want some more. A 1st in either 2015 or 2016 + a B prospect. Like, Hamhuis for STL 1st + Rattie or Hamhuis for DAL 1st + Ully/Faksa.

Thing is Plum, I don't think you will get that much. Dallas's first will be much higher, demanding more. Not sure about St. Louis's 1st. Not saying I don't like those proposals, I just think that might be a touch much.

But for me, it is to get our prospects as close together age wise to start with.....but we need to upgrade our defensive prospects so much, as we desperately need that PMD prospect.

I don't know, I am sure Benning has his plan laid out and will see, but I would just replace Hamhuis with a UFA while our Prospects develop.

Could you imagine getting defensemen with the 18 OA, 23OA, and 32OA, not to mention the ability to move up with a addition of a B prospect or another veteran.......kiinda pie in the sky there, but imagine (Still got to draft good though)

I don't really see the point in trading one of our better defenders when our defense already needs some fine-tuning. I think there are much better options for us than to trade Hamhuis.

Unfortunately, it's a waiting game a lot of the time, but I like what Benning is already doing with getting defense prospects like Pedan and Clendening withoutt splitting the team apart.

I'm in middle.

Definitely not good for our LD in the short term, but if we could package up Hamhuis, Richardson (who I believe will walk anyways), perhaps Gaunce, or another prospect, and we might be able to get that future #1 PMD or #1 centre

Archived