badbeatjackpot Posted March 10, 2015 Share Posted March 10, 2015 In the finance or consulting world, every now and then, somebody publishes or comes up with a new way to do business and then it becomes a major trend for the rest of the industry. I believe Benning has done that this year with a quick turnaround / retool. For nearly a decade now, GMs and fans have been preaching patience when it comes to building a contender talking about how it needs to be done through the draft. What Benning has done is find a way to speed up the process while still keeping the draft in mind. Since he has taken over the team, he has acquired NHL ready prospects for 2nd rounders (Baertschi and Vey) traded a young prospect years away from the show (Forsling) for Clendenning, Pedan for a 3rd rounder, drafted McCann and Virtanen, had the luxury of Horvat stepping up. All of these players are either currently NHL ready or will be in 2-3 years. He's kept his first rounders who will be the staple of the team and filled the remainder by using the 2nd and 3rd rounders who are close to being NHL ready. He's created a log jam both on forward and defence as well as goalies. Basically, I think that he's playing percentages and probably understands that not all his moves will pan out but he's created so much internal competition that out of guys like Jensen, Shink, BoSang,Corrado, Baertschi, Vey, Stanton, Biega, a few will emerge to take the spots from the vets. The best analogy is that he's loaded his gun with a lot of bullets all pointed for a run in 2-3 years. By using his 2nd and 3rd rounders on guys that will step up in 1-3 years, he's basically stockpiled players where he has the luxury of choosing the cream of the crop out of his prospects instead of the traditional method of using the draft every year in chronological order which actually decreases the chance of building a strong team. Mathematically speaking, if 1st rounders have 70% chance of making it and 2nd rounders have 30% and we repeat that every year, a lot of things have to go right for the rebuild to work. For instance, hitting 2 correct first rounders in a row is 49%. (0.7*0.7) The odds of hitting consecutive NHLers for 2nd round is only 9% (0.3*0.3) By using his 2nd and 3rd rounders to acquire players that are all 2-3 years away from making an impact, he's increased his odds of making a stacked young team that will be competitive for years to come that are on ELC or are RFA. All Benning has to do is recycle this plan every 3-5 years to restock his prospect pool. I see this blueprint being copied by GMs as it really is a better way to build a team. The beauty is that we still have vets on the team that will still produce in 2 years so the combination of good vets like the Sedins with a logjam of prospects ready to step up and win a spot bodes well for the future. The man is a genius. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.