The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Get a Strome

Without analytics to back this up then, you "thinking" there won't be many more, means absolutely nothing.

In the last three years, these centers got picked in the first round:

MTL - Galchenyuk

BUF - Grigorenko

DAL - Faksa

BUF - Girgensons

SJS - Hertl

PHI - Laughton

CGY - Jankowski

VAN - Gaunce

NJD - Matteau

COL - Mackinnon

FLA - Barkov

CAR - Lindholm

CGY - Monahan

VAN - Horvat

ARZ - Domi

CBJ - Wennberg

OTT - Lazar

TOR - Gauthier

CBJ - Dano

DAL - Dickinson

BUF - Reinhart

EDM - Draisaitl

CGY - Bennett

TOR - Nylander

NSH - Fiala

WSH - Vrana

DET - Larkin

STL - Fabbri

COL - Bleackley

VAN - McCann

NYI - Ho-Sang

NJD - Quenneville

Other than Galchenyuk (178 GP, 98 P), Monahan (141 GP, 81 P), Lindholm (122 GP, 52 P), Mackinnon (146 GP, 101P), Domi (0 GP, 0 P), Reinhart (9 GP, 1 P), and Bennett (0 GP, 0 P), who do you think could turn into a legitimate Number 1 Centre?

Downunda, didn't everyone say that Kesler would be at best a 3rd line checking centre?

Ya, when he was drafted, he was compared to Joel Otto of all people.

Otto was fairly large and good at defensive zone face-offs but not much else.

MTL - Galchenyuk

BUF - Grigorenko

DAL - Faksa

BUF - Girgensons

SJS - Hertl

PHI - Laughton

CGY - Jankowski

VAN - Gaunce

NJD - Matteau

COL - Mackinnon

FLA - Barkov

CAR - Lindholm

CGY - Monahan

VAN - Horvat

ARZ - Domi

CBJ - Wennberg

OTT - Lazar

TOR - Gauthier

CBJ - Dano

DAL - Dickinson

BUF - Reinhart

EDM - Draisaitl

CGY - Bennett

TOR - Nylander

NSH - Fiala

WSH - Vrana

DET - Larkin

STL - Fabbri

COL - Bleackley

VAN - McCann

NYI - Ho-Sang

NJD - Quenneville

Other than Galchenyuk (178 GP, 98 P), Monahan (141 GP, 81 P), Lindholm (122 GP, 52 P), Mackinnon (146 GP, 101P), Domi (0 GP, 0 P), Reinhart (9 GP, 1 P), and Bennett (0 GP, 0 P), who do you think could turn into a legitimate Number 1 Centre?

Actually quite a few of them could be future #1's

MTL - Galchenyuk

BUF - Grigorenko

DAL - Faksa

BUF - Girgensons

SJS - Hertl

PHI - Laughton

CGY - Jankowski

VAN - Gaunce

NJD - Matteau

COL - Mackinnon

FLA - Barkov

CAR - Lindholm

CGY - Monahan

VAN - Horvat

ARZ - Domi

CBJ - Wennberg

OTT - Lazar

TOR - Gauthier

CBJ - Dano

DAL - Dickinson

BUF - Reinhart

EDM - Draisaitl

CGY - Bennett

TOR - Nylander

NSH - Fiala

WSH - Vrana

DET - Larkin

STL - Fabbri

COL - Bleackley

VAN - McCann

NYI - Ho-Sang

NJD - Quenneville

Just because a player may not end up being a #1 center, either due to depth (i.e. Tavares playing #1) or they are better suited to a #2 spot, doesn't mean you avoid drafting a center. Also, I'm struggling to understand why you only went back to 2012 draft?

- RNH

- Huberdeau

- Ryan Strome

- Zibanejad

- Scheifele

- Couturier

- Seguin

- Johansen

- Skinner (C/LW)

- Mikael Granlund

- Jaden Schwartz

- Bjugstad

- Sheahan

- Hayes

- Kuznetsov

- Tavares

- Duchene

- Brayden Schenn

- Kadri

- Chris Kreider

- Stamkos

- Colin Wilson

- Bailey

- Turris

- Couture

- Staal

- Toews

- Backstrom

- Brassard

- Little

- Giroux

Jeez, where would all these teams be without drafting centers. All players are absolutely necessary. Aside from defensemen, centers are the most important position on the ice.

It's no secret that the Canucks till need a big star center to replace Henrik Sedin in the future. Bo Horvat's looked good but we all know he's a 2nd line center at best in the future similar to Kesler, and who knows what will happen to McCann and Cassels but I doubt they'd be good enough to score 80+ points in the NHL ever during their careers - they're middle 6 two-way centers at best.

As we're in the West we definately need a big, strong guy who can put up 70-90 points a season playing ahead of Horvat to give us a Getzlaf-Kesler, Kopitar-Carter punch down the middle.

I say, target one of the Stromes. Ryan Strome in New York may be hard to pry off their top line, but could be had considering their amazing depth at center and the emergence of Brock Nelson and Anders Lee (who we could also go for). I'd much rather target Dylan Strome in the upcoming draft. He's just about leading the OHL in scoring and is a giant, so wouldn't be long (maybe 1 season in the OHL again) before he could make the jump to the NHL.

TO NYI: Jensen + 1st + Stanton/Sbisa + McCann/Cassels (replacement center)

TO VAN: Ryan Strome

We essentially trade a 17th overall pick (Konecky, future 2nd line center) + a future top-6 forward who is ready to play next season + some defensive depth for a current top-6 forward and future first line center. Throw in Higgins if they want more. I doubt NYI does this trade anyway but it's worth a shot. Otherwise...

At the 2015 draft, there are a lot of good centers there for the picking, IMO which can be split into 3 categories:

A-grade centers: McDavid and Eichel (will go 1-2, don't even bother, no one's trading those picks) = generational talents

B-grade centers: Marner, Strome, Zacha, Barzal = future top line centers

C-grade centers: Konecny, Harkins, Merkley = future middle-6 centers

There are also some good looking defencemen in Hanifin, Provorov, Roy, Werenski and Kylington who, depending on a team's needs, will go in the top-10 too.

Now, as it currently stands in the standings, here's my predictions:

Buffalo: McDavid

Edmonton: Eichel

Arizona: Hanifin (to replace Yandle)

Toronto: Roy (they need defence, have Nylander/Kadri down the middle already)

Columbus: Marner (everyone seems higher on him than Strome)

Carolina: Strome

Strome will likely go between 3 and 6 in the Draft, which is where we need to move up to in order to snag him. I'm saying we target the Toronto/Columbus/Carolina pick as they'd be much easier to snag than say Buffalo's or Arizona's top-3 picks.

TO TOR/COL/CAR: 1st round pick (around 17th overall) + Shinkaruk + Cassels/McCann

TO VAN: 1st round pick (4th-6th)

Why we do this: We can afford to trade one of Cassels or McCann if we're getting Strome back, no questions asked. Shinkaruk hasn't really proven himself yet and with Baertschi coming in and Virtanen on the rise, he's the kid who's slowly getting squeezed out of our depth chart so he's expendable too.

Why they do this: These teams are pretty lowly and if they get the chance to build up prospects, they'll take it. Cassels/McCann is a fantastic building block to have, Shinkaruk gives them a boost too and the 1st rounder is a McCann-like pick as well. These guys will take about 3 years to truly develop but these teams have time and are in full-rebuild anyway.

Strome may not make the team next season (I'd hope not), but in 3-5 years time when the Sedins are down to 30-40 points a year and Hovat's up scoring 30 goals, 60 points, we'll still need a top line center if we want to go far into the playoffs. Here's our new lineup with Strome in:

Baertschi - Strome - Virtanen (skill - size - speed)

Jensen - Horvat - Kassian (all huge forwards, all have skill)

Sedin - Sedin - Matthias (keep Matthias around as for his size with the ageing twins)

Bonino - Cassels/McCann/Gaunce - Kenins/UFA

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Corrado

Sbisa - Clendening

Lack

Markstrom?

Every team could use that big all NHL centre LOL.

We have started accumulating the most decent collection of prospects I can recall the Canucks having in memory?

But we are still not at a stage where we can give up 3, hell you have suggested 4 substantial pieces to get one? LA was there a few years ago. Simmonds, Schenn and a second for Richards. Jack Johnson and cannot recall what else for Carter. Still had goods for Gaborik moving forward and Sekara this year.

It is worth noting they accumulated assets for nearly 10 years before they got to the point they had guys who were ''expendable.'' And they had already imbedded Quick, Kopitar, Brown, Doughty, we have only just started to establish Horvat and Kassian. Neither whom are at the calibre of the above Kings...

We're not ready for this move yet!

And even now, they risk losing guys like Stoll, Richards, Voynov. And having played a heavy card they risk moving back to the pack.

You are going to have to be patient. It may not take moving up to the top 5. Monahan was a 6th or 7th overall pick. Forsberg 11th or 12th. Giroux, Perry and Getzlaf were all late first rounders. Gaudreau a 4th round pick. Every year you pretty much need at least one player. Every 5 years or so one approaching a great one. A Patrice Bergeron or David Krecji is probably even enough? If the scouting staff, the GM, the development staff, the coaching all do their job...

Boy, oh boy. Where to start.

Strome has 43 points in his second season in the NHL and will end up with roughly 55 points. If they are looking at defense, they'd be looking at Hamhuis or Edler. But since they have NTC and would have to waive first, it won't happen. Remember, quality over quantity. This proposal doesn't meet their needs. So they would counter with "number 1 defenseman please."

Yes, the Leafs desperately need defense. So you propose they pass on NHL ready Provorov and possible NHL ready Werenski, as well as superior prospect Kylington for Jeremy Roy? Love to hear your reasoning on this.

Aside from the fact that Colorado isn't drafting in that range (getting the feeling you don't know what you're talking about), that's a big drop in a deep draft for any team to trade down from. Also, Carolina needs defensemen as well. So unless you are throwing someone like Tanev into the mix, I don't know why they do this.

Like I said, I doubt the NYI trade goes through because they'd want even value for what they're giving up, as they're contending right now, and Benning will not trade even value from a defensive side as it makes us much worse, but I threw that trade out there to underline how important one of these Stromes would be to our team. Ideally, if we wanted to go all in for NYI's Strome, we'd have to cough up a 1st round pick + Tanev + a prospect like Shinkaruk which is far too much IMO.

As for the Leafs, Jeremy Roy is gaining a LOT of ground this season and I think he'll go top-15. He may not be the best defenceman after Hanifin but he'll go high. Honestly, it doesn't matter which defenceman they pick, I just used Roy as an example, as long as it's not one of the centers we should be targetting

And for COL, I meant CBJ, big whoop. I feel as though McCann + Shinkaruk is definately worth moving up 10-12 places in a deep draft. Of course at the end of the day it depends on what the GMs think and want for their team, but this is how I see it:

TO VAN: 1st rounder (4th-5th overall): Dylan Strome = future 1st line center, 80-90 points per season in 3-5 year time for about 5 years (his prime)

TO TOR/CBJ/CAR (anyone really who is in that area): 1st rounder (17th overall = Harkins/Konecny = future 2nd line center, 60 points in 5 years time for about 4 seasons in their prime) + McCann (same as the 17th overall pick but a year or two closer to his prime) + Shinkaruk (future middle-6 forward, 50-60 points in maybe 4-5 years time for a couple of seasons)

Of course these are massive assumptions based only really on what these players have done so far, but from that this trade is essentially 1 x future top line 80-90 point player for 2 x 2nd line centers scoring 60 points per season + 1 middle 6 forward scoring 50 points.

For teams that already have a top flight center in their ranks, young depth would be far more important. Of course it'd be hard for any team to pass up on a prime center like Strome, but Toronto have Nylander/Kadri, CBJ has Johansen and Carolina have the emerging Lindholm. They may want to trade their 1st rounder (if at all) for a top pairing defenceman but this is the best we have to offer, and IMO it's not bad.

Archived