The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What happened to Prab Rai ?

bohonos76

Rai was a 5th round pick. Most 5th rounders never play even a single game in the NHL and only about 10% become legitimate NHL players. (See, for example, http://www.milehighhockey.com/2014/7/23/5931789/draft-percentages.)

No 5th rounder is a sure fire NHLer. In fact, on the data, no-one picked below about the #10 overall position can be called a sure-fire NHLer.

As we can with the experience we have had with Schroeder, Jensen, Gaunce, and Shinkaruk, even mid-to-low first rounders are far from being sure-fire NHL players. Any of those guys might become a good NHL player, but it is not sure-fire and if two of those four make it as legitimate NHL regulars for a few seasons, that would be as much as we could expect.

Right now as the roster sits, one top line player, our starting goalie and a top pairing D man are not drafted at all.

:bigblush:

He had a car accident in 2010 and he's had back problems since, it's hindered his development, heard he was playing in Stockton, California, sucks, could have been a good bottom 6 guy, even though we have plenty of those

"Prab Rai could have been a good bottom 6 guy"...coulda, woulda, shoulda...ah no. Not likely.

Barely a point per game player in the dub (one of which was as an overager)...had a couple of good shifts in the Young Stars Tourney. With or without his injury, I doubt he would have been anything more than a career ECHLer. But who knows, with the lack of depth in the Canucks organization, maybe he could have been a bottom sixer in the AHL.

There should be a thread called "the long lost canucks" of all those players who seemed to just fall of the face of the earth.

I always traded him away on NHL 12

First guy I always traded was Kellan Tochkin. Waste of a roster space, guy never even made it to the AHL.

There should be a thread called "the long lost canucks" of all those players who seemed to just fall of the face of the earth.

First guy I always traded was Kellan Tochkin. Waste of a roster space, guy never even made it to the AHL.

Maybe that's why he always looked so sad

kellan_tochkin_carolina.jpg

Archived