The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we start Markstrom against the Leafs?

ruilin96

Jacob Markstrom  

179 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is my first post( :towel: ) so I might not do everything right, hope you guys all accept some mistakes I make.

Obviously, he had a tough start against the Sharks and he did not feel good after that game. I know we are still in a position to get points and fight for a playoff spot, and every game and every point is important for us. But we can't just start Eddie Lack every night and burn him out, so we will have to give Markstrom another start at some point before Miller gets back. Looking at the schedule down the stretch, I see this upcoming game against the Leafs as one of the games we could throw Markstrom back in so he can redeem his confidence. The Leafs has not won a game at Rogers Arena since 2004. Given our recent failure of losing to bottom feeders, throwing Markstrom in against the Leafs may just give the team something they want to play for. The guys in front of Markstrom would want to play good and hope to help him regain his confidence.

What are your thoughts fellow Canucks fans? Should Markstrom start against the Leafs and why?

Welcome to CDC.

Good reasoning all around.

I'd have to agree, that's an excellent option to get him another start.

Get him back in there.

If not then, there's a back to back with LA/Phoenix on the 21st, 22nd and the Phoenix game is another good opportunity, but I'm almost inclined to say that sooner is better, even if there are off days before and after the Leafs game.

Markstrom could stand on his head and get a shutout or he could poop the bed again like last time or something in between. It doesn't really matter though because until the Canucks have a playoff ticket, they cannot risk losing a game. He had his chance this season and he blew it. The games are too important now to throw him back in. Perhaps at the end of the season if Miller is not back in time for a pre-playoff tuneup he can play a mean nothing game. Otherwise, they can trade him for a pick at the draft or play him next season to see if he can step into a backup role.

Sure - but keep in mind if your goal is to rebuild his confidence, if he doesn't manage to play well it might actually further destroy it. Nobody wants to lose against a team like the Leafs.

Yes I know, but one other thing is that I want the team to have something to play for when they play against the Leafs. It seems like the last few games when we play the bottom feeders, they just think it is a cake walk and don't have the jump. If they know this is Markstrom's game to regain confidence, they will probably approach it differently.

Like say if our trend of losing to bottom feeders continues and lose to the Leafs (*knock on wood*), it may not exactly will destroy his confidence. Say if we lost to the Leafs 3-2 or 2-1 in OT or Shootout and Markstrom made all the remarkable saves to keep us in, in this case, a loss may still help him build up his confidence.

But it would SUCK to lose to the Leafs... Last thing I want it to happen lol... would much rather see some Leafs Jerseys toss down at Rogers arena in frustration :P

Markstrom could stand on his head and get a shutout or he could poop the bed again like last time or something in between. It doesn't really matter though because until the Canucks have a playoff ticket, they cannot risk losing a game. He had his chance this season and he blew it. The games are too important now to throw him back in. Perhaps at the end of the season if Miller is not back in time for a pre-playoff tuneup he can play a mean nothing game. Otherwise, they can trade him for a pick at the draft or play him next season to see if he can step into a backup role.

Hi torts nice to see you.

Seriously I would be fine if they gave him the Toronto game and the Phoenix game. Winning is important but if miller is out and lack gets injured this will be our guy. They need to get him back in a game or two if for no other reason than to build his confidence.

He did not play great but let's be fair. Our defensive play to start that game was brutal at best. The third goal was all h but the first two were a combination for sure.

He had his chance this season and he blew it. The games are too important now to throw him back in.

So that's it, he's dead to you? A guy can't have one bad game?

Aren't the games also so important that you shouldn't risk overworking Lack like Torts did last year?

no

Saturday night is too much of a "Hockey Night fish bowl

I think Jacob needs obscure low profile games like Arizona or Columbus

He obviously isn't ready for big spotlight starts

He may never be

Really? Really? We can't ride Lack every game, and starting Markstrom against the Kings is practically throwing him to the wolves. What better game then the Laffs? Hockey night fishbowl, come on. It's just another game, like everyone else. The Leafs are a poor team, it'll be a good bounce back game.

Lets see how Eddie does this game against LA?

It may look like he needs a break. Although I am expecting Lack to do great.

If Eddie shows at all any mental strain or looks tired > It does look like a great opportunity Sat against TO. But if Eddie is strong, its also important to keep him on a hot streak. This is important development time for Lack as well? Who did not embed himself as a starter last year post Lou. But appears on the way now!

That aside, pretty sure we will see Jacob against Phoenix...

no

Saturday night is too much of a "Hockey Night fish bowl

I think Jacob needs obscure low profile games like Arizona or Columbus

He obviously isn't ready for big spotlight starts

He may never be

A ) They're playing the Leafs.

B ) Markstrom plays for Vancouver. Every game is a fishbowl.

I'd say it's a good idea. The Leafs are a team we normally have no problems with, (save the last two games) they are struggling big time, and they're in the East. So if Markstrom does have another bad game, it wouldn't be as damaging to us

It is all about how Lack is feeling and playing. I doubt very much that he will be tired. He has been stealing points for Van almost every game. The turnovers in the d-zone have been brutal. TO Laffers should be a easy 2 points but the Canucks have blown games in Buffalo and PHX so there are no sure things. Van is on a playoff bubble so Lack plays unless he cannot.

Archived