The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we start Markstrom against the Leafs?

ruilin96

Jacob Markstrom  

179 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is my first post( :towel: ) so I might not do everything right, hope you guys all accept some mistakes I make.

Obviously, he had a tough start against the Sharks and he did not feel good after that game. I know we are still in a position to get points and fight for a playoff spot, and every game and every point is important for us. But we can't just start Eddie Lack every night and burn him out, so we will have to give Markstrom another start at some point before Miller gets back. Looking at the schedule down the stretch, I see this upcoming game against the Leafs as one of the games we could throw Markstrom back in so he can redeem his confidence. The Leafs has not won a game at Rogers Arena since 2004. Given our recent failure of losing to bottom feeders, throwing Markstrom in against the Leafs may just give the team something they want to play for. The guys in front of Markstrom would want to play good and hope to help him regain his confidence.

What are your thoughts fellow Canucks fans? Should Markstrom start against the Leafs and why?

I agree with this. The Canucks do seem to play down the level of crappy opponents so anything that can help them stay that much more focused and determined not to have a let down is a good thing. Markstrom is a funny/quirky guy similar to Lack and I'm sure the team wants to help him forget about the rough game against San Jose. It's probably a good idea to let him face a junky team like the Maple Laughs instead of an actual NHL team. :sick:

no

Saturday night is too much of a "Hockey Night fish bowl

I think Jacob needs obscure low profile games like Arizona or Columbus

He obviously isn't ready for big spotlight starts

He may never be

He's still a professional. The day or team he plays shouldn't matter.

I say throw him out there and see what he can do, he was on waivers this season and nobody took him for free. Either we have a goalie or we don't, sitting him isn't going to build his confidence back.

I was also thinking the Leafs would be a good time and place to get him another start. Even more so now that more D regulars are back in or will be by then. Gives the team one more reason not to take the game lightly although I hadn't thought about the HNC angle, just that it might be something Lack would appreciate playing in. Markstrom needs to get at least one more start under his belt. Miller might take longer than expected to be game ready and the injury bug can always strike where it could seriously threaten our playoff chances.

Flames are looking sharp tonight. Fun game to watch. Lots of young talent there too.

Markstrom could stand on his head and get a shutout or he could poop the bed again like last time or something in between. It doesn't really matter though because until the Canucks have a playoff ticket, they cannot risk losing a game. He had his chance this season and he blew it. The games are too important now to throw him back in. Perhaps at the end of the season if Miller is not back in time for a pre-playoff tuneup he can play a mean nothing game. Otherwise, they can trade him for a pick at the draft or play him next season to see if he can step into a backup role.

then Eriksson should be called up. There is no point in making the playoffs if your starter is worn out

Stop being Torterella. We cant just play Lack every game

His agent said he will not re sign with the team if he's still in the ahl next year.

It was a topic like 3 months ago.

Can any one find it?

I do recall something about this,,but couldnt find it..did find this however and I would think its pretty much a given that he wont resign with us next year....this article is from last year when Miller was signed...

Jacob Markstrom has requested a trade out of Vancouver, according to Jason Botchford of The Province.

Markstrom sees the writing on the wall with Ryan Miller being signed and Eddie Lack the backup. The Canucks have explored trades and there is interest from three teams. "That situation could work itself out over the summer," general manager Jim Benning said. "The teams that are interested may have to move out another guy. … We’re exploring that for Jacob. But if that doesn’t happen, Jacob comes to camp. He has a good attitude. He understands the situation. … Look at Minnesota last year. They went through about five goalies." Markstrom carries a $1.2 million cap hit. He had a .918 save percentage in 29 games in the AHL last year, and a .873 save percentage in 16 games in the NHL.

I don't get this burning out theory.

I haven't heard Dubnyk complaining about starting every game since he was traded to the Wild. And he is on fire right now and might start all 15 of their last games.

You play the goalie who gives you the best chance to win. It's not a popularity contest or lets make the backup feel good about himself game.

Not to mention he had a complete day off yesterday with a rare 2-day rest between games.

If we can put our own curiosity on ice it's more likely that Markstrom gets Phoenix.

it is THE PERFECT start for Markstrom - it would give Lack a full 4 days rest and recovery

- it allows the team to showcase Markstrom nationally

- the Leafs are terrible and should be a game the Canucks win

- the different start time is likely to effect Markstrom less due to lack of playing

- and you have to show some faith in the team as a whole to which he is also a part of

i voted no , here is why, if we beat LA ,lack continues to be hot, keep him in for toronton, then he gets another 2 day break after that, so i would go with lack in philly (win or lose vs toronto) as well , then markstrom in cbj then lack back in LA, and markstrom in arizona. Then i would play lack the next 3 in 5 nights at home vs peg,col,dal. Then we have a back to back on the road vs stlouis and nashville id give markstrom , the first one in stl, and go back with lack in nashville to end the month.

Its a bummer what happenened to Markstrom, but they need to get him back in the net ASAP. Hes not going to get a chance to prove his worth once Millers back. He deserves another chance based on his AHL numbers. I think the leafs game is an excellent idea.

Markstrom could stand on his head and get a shutout or he could poop the bed again like last time or something in between. It doesn't really matter though because until the Canucks have a playoff ticket, they cannot risk losing a game. He had his chance this season and he blew it. The games are too important now to throw him back in. Perhaps at the end of the season if Miller is not back in time for a pre-playoff tuneup he can play a mean nothing game. Otherwise, they can trade him for a pick at the draft or play him next season to see if he can step into a backup role.

This doesn't reflect reality. Lack can't ,and won't, play every game until Miller is back, so Markstrom is going to have to play some games that matter. If Desjardins sees Lack looking tired in a game Markstrom will slot in.

Archived