The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Harper's 'anti-women' niqab comment

drummer4now

Prime Minister Stephen Harper took heat from the opposition and on social media Wednesday over his assertion that niqabs are "anti-women."

"When he talks about a culture of 1.8 billion human beings as being anti-women ... that's very divisive and it's irresponsible and it's undignified from a Canadian prime minister," NDP Leader Thomas Mulcair told reporters Wednesday.

Harper's statement came in the House of Commons on Tuesday in response to a question about the Conservative government's appeal of a Federal Court ruling that women be allowed to wear niqabs during citizenship ceremonies.

"It's very easy to understand," Harper said. "Why would Canadians, contrary to our own values, embrace a practice at that time (of gaining citizenship) that is not transparent, that is not open and, frankly, is rooted in a culture that is anti-women?"

The comment sparked the hashtag #DressCodePM, started by Globe and Mail columnist Tabatha Southey.

"As long as the niqab remains an issue for him, it behooves all women of Canada to check w/@pmharper each morn as they dress," she tweeted. Women across the country joined in on Twitter, asking the prime minister to approve their outfits.

When Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau accused Harper in question period Wednesday of calling Islam anti-women, the prime minister retorted: "I said no such thing."

Harper then blasted Trudeau for using a recent speech to compare Harper's policies to the Nazi era.

He said the "overwhelming majority of moderate Muslims" don't think anyone should cover their faces during citizenship.

Mulcair told reporters that Harper was trying to "back away" from the controversial statement, "but he said what he said."

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2015/03/11/22282301.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/harper-says-overwhelming-majority-agrees-with-tories-on-niqabs-1.2990439

Can someone please get this buffoon out of power asap... He is way out of touch with reality..

Also to those that say it's a security issue for when women are covered up during citizenship ceremonies, what is often never acknowledged is even before the ceremony you have to show your face to a officer to write the test...

I dislike Harper tremendously, but he is 100% right here.

This country has been criticized time and time again that it has no identity.

When you come to a new country you plan to live in, you accept and embrace it's culture and conduct.

You think anyone from here, bringing their values and traditions would be accepted in any country in the east?

See what would happen if a women would want to live (hypothetically) in one of these niqab wearing countries, without having to wear one.

Such hypocrisy. Ridiculous.

There's already an open thread on this.

But you COULD make a thread on how Baird abandoned ship not shortly before the new Pension rules are set to kick in. Or on how Finley managed to basically pork barrel over $1,000,000 to a prominent jewish center in her riding without oversight or proper paperwork. Let alone how she funneled money to places during the last election from tax payers to support Conservative candidates in Quebec.

Those would be fun to read up on.

Barring those though feel free to start a thread on how the Cons ran a committee made up of Cons to hold the NDP feet to the fire in regards to satellite offices and monetary mail out issues only to not 2 weeks later be found guilty of the same thing to the tune of $2.2 million taxpayer dollars

I wonder if I looked hard enough, how many quotes I'd find from people on this board saying Islam is sexist, misogynist, disrespectful and basically anti-woman (wonder if i could even find a couple by the OP....)

I don't like Harper either, but come on, he says something and it doesn't matter if people agree with it or not it's always "get this idiot out of government!"....

sigh

When you come to a new country you plan to live in, you accept and embrace it's culture and conduct.

You think anyone from here, bringing their values and traditions would be accepted in any country in the east?

See what would happen if a women would want to live (hypothetically) in one of these niqab wearing countries, without having to wear one.

You said it yourself Canada has no identity.. So what culture and conduct do you speak of?

Last time I checked being Canadian didnt mean you have to dress like a western person.

Unlike the US; Canada is a multicultural society where people can express themselves however they want to if it doesn't harm the person or anyone else..

We might as well scrap the rights and freedom part if this soo much of an issue.

I wonder if I looked hard enough, how many quotes I'd find from people on this board saying Islam is sexist, misogynist, disrespectful and basically anti-woman (wonder if i could even find a couple by the OP....)

I don't like Harper either, but come on, he says something and it doesn't matter if people agree with it or not it's always "get this idiot out of government!"....

sigh

You wouldn't find any quote from me..

Our culture and identity include wearing what you want, not wearing what other people tell you what to wear.

This is Canada.

Last I checked, it's not an Islamic country.

Last I check, it's a free country. Unlike you, Canadians embrace freedom and democracy.

This is Canada.

Last I checked, it's not an Islamic country.

It's also not a judeo christian country but Harper and Baird have done everything they can to change that.

Canada is founded on the principals that equality knows no bounds. That women and men are free to wear what they want where they want and believe what they will free of persecution so long as it conforms to the right and just laws of the country.

The crap harper and the Cons are pushing is ridiculous.

Do you

A: Stand with us the Conservatives

or

B: Sympathize with the islamists and terrorists

Todays gem of Conservative dogma

You said it yourself Canada has no identity.. So what culture and conduct do you speak of?

Last time I checked being Canadian didnt mean you have to dress like a western person.

Unlike the US; Canada is a multicultural society where people can express themselves however they want to if it doesn't harm the person or anyone else..

We might as well scrap the rights and freedom part if this soo much of an issue.

Fully disagree.

Canada is based on Britain's and France's ideals/backgrounds.

Yes, we have "freedom to express" but we also must conform to society's wishes.

No different if I moved to say Saudi Arabia for 2 years - I (and my wife) would have to conform to their society as far as appearance goes...

Fully disagree.

No different if I moved to say Saudi Arabia for 2 years - I (and my wife) would have to conform to their society as far as appearance goes...

But Canada is not Saudi Arabia. We are free and democratic.

Canada is not yesteryear's colonial superpower either. We can do better than them.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2015/03/11/22282301.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/harper-says-overwhelming-majority-agrees-with-tories-on-niqabs-1.2990439

Can someone please get this buffoon out of power asap... He is way out of touch with reality..

Also to those that say it's a security issue for when women are covered up during citizenship ceremonies, what is often never acknowledged is even before the ceremony you have to show your face to a officer to write the test...

I think he is perfectly in touch with reality on this issue, and the majority of Canadians would agree with him. The niqab is a cultural thing that's completely sexist. By wearing it you aren't embracing the freedom of Canadian citizenship. Sure freedom means you have a right to wear what you want, but wanting to wear something so sexist is not appropriate.

If a white American male goes to a citizenship ceremony here in a KKK outfit, would it be restricting his freedom to disallow it? Or is it his freedom to wear whatever he wants? Maybe the last 3 generations of his family wore it too, still wouldn't make it right would it? I'd expect the same conclusion for a niqab, it's a cultural thing that some Muslim women have been wearing for a long time.

It basically comes down to the same thing, we socially don't accept racism so we disallow it, but sexism is ok so we allow women to wear a niqab. It's not the same as a man wearing a turban or woman wearing a sari.

It's also not a judeo christian country but Harper and Baird have done everything they can to change that.

Canada is founded on the principals that equality knows no bounds. That women and men are free to wear what they want where they want and believe what they will free of persecution so long as it conforms to the right and just laws of the country.

The crap harper and the Cons are pushing is ridiculous.

Do you

A: Stand with us the Conservatives

or

B: Sympathize with the islamists and terrorists

Todays gem of Conservative dogma

Pretty much this. End of thread and end of discussion.

Our culture and identity include wearing what you want, not wearing what other people tell you what to wear.

Last I check, it's a free country. Unlike you, Canadians embrace freedom and democracy.

Unlike you? I never said that - stop cherry picking and twisting things.

The LAW in Canada is that your drivers license must have nothing covering your face for your picture.

That's democracy.

BTW - I never brought up what "religious" background our country is - but it is more Christian than anything else.

Society will not accept you wearing a G-String as your only article of clothing whilst flipping burgers at McDonalds.

Fully disagree.

Most Western people that live in Saudi Arabia live in special communities or compounds..

For US citizien working there is a special residential compound called Aramco..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudi_Aramco_Residential_Camp_in_Dhahran

Here's a photo of a carnaval there.. See the mini skirts.

Pee_Wee_Baseball_Winter_Carnival%2C_Dhah

People should be allowed to wear what ever they want. But I do agree the Niqab is sexist.

Well I don't fully disagree with this... I guess it depends on the individual wearing it what they think of it.

I also think one should not be forced to wear such garb against their own well.

But Canada is not Saudi Arabia. We are free and democratic.

Canada is not yesteryear's colonial superpower either. We can do better than them.

That includes not being subjugated to any "laws" from other countries - like Sharia - right?

Archived