The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Prospect for Prospect (Discussion)

While I can appreciate your realism as compared to some others on these boards but c'mon man, lighten the f*ck up. IMO a #1 center can be a fairly subjective term anyway. It could be argued that Toews isn't a #1 due to a lack of elite offensive skills but I'd be happier than a pig in sh*t to have him on our top line, same can be said for Bergeron. Maybe some older posters can correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Datsyuk put up 35 pts in his rookie year while playing fairly average to below average away from the puck? My memory of his rookie year isn't the best considering I was still breast feeding and taking constant flak for it at middle school.

What I'm getting at is it's unfair to pigeonhole Jared with a projection like that after one season as a teenager. Plenty of players end up being better rounded players than expected or excelling in areas that weren't originally part of their games.

Toews and Bergeron are easily #1 centers.

The Datsyuk thing is like one in a million.

Well... you're really not at fault. Your parents failed to raise you into a successful human being. You win some and you lose some.

Seems like you have some experience in this topic. I could rip into you right now but I don't wanna get banned.

I guess the point that you are arguing is very subjective. I have no problem thinking that Toews and Bergeron are number one centers, they are both complete players, unlike some of the more offensive #1's in the league, both are number one centers, and I don't think any one's arguing that, but certainly a different type of center.......but I would take them just the same.

For me when I look at Horvat and McCann to a lesser extent, they are both too young to put a ceiling on them yet, both have shown they belong where they are at.....and both are improving in the leagues they are in. I have a lot of interest to see how they look next year and the year after that, both are quality players that have not completely matured yet.

But what I would like to know is what defensive prospects are comparable to McCann ? Where do we place him in comparable potential.......no one have given me a list yet.

I would like to state my opinion that if McCann had, had a full season, with a full summer to prepare, he would have had a much better season, and IMO been near the very top of the OHL scoring...not the top, but close....I believe that makes him a potential #1 or #2 center, and sometimes because it is so subjective, it can be a very fine line......aka, Comparing the 29th, 30th, 31st and 32nd best centers in the NHL.....I mean they are all potential first line centers and I don't think you can actually state one is better than the other at that point, except maybe one plays behind a higher #1 center and the other starts for a weak club.

So would anyone like to give me a list of say 10 defensive prospect not playing regularly in the NHL that are equal to McCann, because I can't, and hope someone with more knowledge of prospects could.

Thanks everyone!

Toews and Bergeron are easily #1 centers.

The Datsyuk thing is like one in a million.

#1 centers yes but neither possess elite offensive skills, much like Jared. My point is that you don't need to score 90 points to be a top line center. By all accounts Jared is a smart, smart player with great commitment to both ends of the ice. He doesn't have elite skill (i.e: probably won't ever win a scoring race) but definitely has the potential to be a very solid offensive contributor to go along with smart two-way play. That's pretty much how I'd describe Toews and Bergeron.

Now tell me, if they are "easily #1 centers", why is it so out of the realm of possibility that Jared could be too?

#1 centers yes but neither possess elite offensive skills, much like Jared. My point is that you don't need to score 90 points to be a top line center. By all accounts Jared is a smart, smart player with great commitment to both ends of the ice. He doesn't have elite skill (i.e: probably won't ever win a scoring race) but definitely has the potential to be a very solid offensive contributor to go along with smart two-way play. That's pretty much how I'd describe Toews and Bergeron.

Now tell me, if they are "easily #1 centers", why is it so out of the realm of possibility that Jared could be too?

Toews is a 70 point center. Bergeron is a 65 point center. I think McCann only has a 10% of reaching those type of totals in his career.

Toews is a 70 point center. Bergeron is a 65 point center. I think McCann only has a 10% of reaching those type of totals in his career.

What is it about his game that makes you say that? Obviously JR numbers aren't the be all end all but his are very promising, and his skillset looks promising as well. Like any prospect we can't say with a great degree of certainty how they'll end up (some more than others tho) but to me he's a really intriguing prospect. I know NHL GM Mode seems to think he won't be much but I think the ceiling is much higher than people on here seem to give him credit for. A lot of people also said Horvat lacked the skill to play top 6 and, while we can't say for sure how he'll look in 5 years, he does seem to already have shown there is offensive upside.

What is it about his game that makes you say that? Obviously JR numbers aren't the be all end all but his are very promising, and his skillset looks promising as well. Like any prospect we can't say with a great degree of certainty how they'll end up (some more than others tho) but to me he's a really intriguing prospect. I know NHL GM Mode seems to think he won't be much but I think the ceiling is much higher than people on here seem to give him credit for. A lot of people also said Horvat lacked the skill to play top 6 and, while we can't say for sure how he'll look in 5 years, he does seem to already have shown there is offensive upside.

Toews and Bergeron have elite IQ. Not just a high IQ like McCann. Key word is elite. McCann has the hands and shot, and he's a smart player, but he just doesn't have that elite IQ that Toews and Bergeron have that allow them to dominate both sides of the puck.

Toews and Bergeron have elite IQ. Not just a high IQ like McCann. Key word is elite. McCann has the hands and shot, and he's a smart player, but he just doesn't have that elite IQ that Toews and Bergeron have that allow them to dominate both sides of the puck.

To some extent this can be developed at the next level though. He seems smart enough (hockey-wise) that he'll continue to learn more and more. Not saying he'll be the Rainman of hockey IQ but a few years down the road he may improve greatly on the things centres need to do to help control the flow of the game, like puck support and whatnot.

Archived