The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Extension] - Johnny Boychuk with the Islanders (7 yrs, $42M)

Arthur Staple @StapeNewsday

BREAKING: #Isles sign Johnny Boychuk to seven-year, $42 million contract.

Johnny B @joboych

Yes! Yes! Yes! For seven more years!!

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC

As @StapeNewsday reports, it is a $6M AAV

Boychuk is now the highest payed player in the Isles, passing Leddy and Tavares, who make $5.5M per year.

Guest Dasein

I wonder if people still think we can sign Tanev for half that amount... :unsure:

My thoughts exactly!

Wow how is Tanev even comparable to Johnny Boychuk?!

Also, you don't think that's an overpayment? Signing Tanev for anything similar to that would also be an overpayment. If I was an Isles fan, I would be pissed that Snow spent that much $$$ to keep Boychuk

If Tanev asks for an overpayment like that, we have the luxury of trading his RFA rights - something NYI coul not do with Boychuk. There is simply no way we overpay for Tanev the way NYI did for Boychuk

More term for less than market value. But I guess the Isles are worried more about the next 5 years rather than what happens after that.

$6 Mill a year is less than market value for a 31-year old defenceman whose best season pointwise prior to this season was last year when he had 23 points?

Granted he's a solid defensive d-man and maybe a strong voice in the locker room. But $6 MM for the next 7 years is rediculously over-priced.

The Tan-man's agent must be licking his chops today and I'm worried about what Tanev might be looking for from the team. I just don't think they're going to make him the highest paid d-man on the team.

Wow how is Tanev even comparable to Johnny Boychuk?!

Also, you don't think that's an overpayment? Signing Tanev for anything similar to that would also be an overpayment. If I was an Isles fan, I would be pissed that Snow spent that much $$$ to keep Boychuk

If Tanev asks for an overpayment like that, we have the luxury of trading his RFA rights - something NYI coul not do with Boychuk. There is simply no way we overpay for Tanev the way NYI did for Boychuk

Did you NOT notice the "half that amount"

Guest Dasein

Did you NOT notice the "half that amount"

Well then it's just a poor comment because nobody is complaining about $3 million for Tanev...

Literally nobody - a lot of people have an issue with Tanev getting Hamhuis money, but $3 million and you could not find a single soul that would complain

Archived