The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Extension] - Johnny Boychuk with the Islanders (7 yrs, $42M)

Hello,

Mr Redden, yes Mr redden have you seen the news today

Yes yes I agree. Even you are laughing you say?

Ridiculous overpayment you say?

Craziness and quote you on it?

Will do

Thanks Mr Redden have a good one ya hear

Seriously, good on the Isles for locking him up. But really it IS a shade much for that length of time. And while as a UFA he MIGHT have gotten more, he obviously wanted to stay in the area.

As for the Tanev comparison. Tanev is younger an RFA and doesn't have a cup ring nor two trips to the finals to show for it has comparable point production but half the physicality.

Tanev at $3 million or $3.25 is just fine and anything more he needs to be shipped out. The more I think about it and the more I remember his arbitration hearings the more I think he's a potential trade candidate just for monetary reasons.

As the resident Islanders fan, I'll give my two cents (I know you've all been waiting for it).

On other teams, perhaps a little too much; but over the last few years, Garth Snow has done such a great job at re-signing his players to good contracts, I can't help but think this is a good signing for them. They picked up Boychuk for a song and dance from the Bruins, and he has done such a good job for them since they picked him up.

It is well documented that the East plays a far more open, offensively minded brand of hockey. So the fact that he's a +17 on an Islanders team that finished 26th overall last season and will finish the season with roughly 40 points, goes to show how valuable he has been to them.

Plus, when the Islanders can say that their highest paid player is Johnny Boychuk at $6M, that also shows just how smart Snow has been in managing his cap. Tavares still has another 3 years left on a cap hit of $5.5M/season. Okposo is currently playing on a contract, for one more season, with a cap hit of $3M/season.

This contract will not hurt the Isles one iota going forward.

Thanks a lot NYI. So much for the pipe dream of getting EJ locked up long term at a good discount. We're going to have trouble getting him at anything under 7 million for 8 years come July 1st with the precedent this set. EJ and Barrie will probably come close to 100 million this summer between them. Good times.

I'm sure I'm going to feel dumb for asking this but...EJ?

As the resident Islanders fan, I'll give my two cents (I know know you've all been waiting for it).

On other teams, perhaps a little too much; but over the last few years, Garth Snow has done such a great job at re-signing his players to good contracts, I can't help but think this is a good signing for them. They picked up Boychuk for a song and dance from the Bruins, and he has done such a good job for them since they picked him up.

It is well documented that the East plays a far more open, offensively minded brand of hockey. So the fact that he's a +17 on an Islanders team that finished 26th overall last season and will finish the season with roughly 40 points, goes to show how valuable he has been to them.

Plus, when the Islanders can say that their highest paid player is Johnny Boychuk at $6M, that also shows just how smart Snow has been in managing his cap. Tavares still has another 3 years left on a cap hit of $5.5M/season. Okposo is currently playing on a contract, for one more season, with a cap hit of $3M/season.

I think I'm with you. That was my first reaction too. It's heavy on term but it has to be looked at in context.

With Boychuk and Leddy signed, plus a great contract with Hamonic, the Isles have the opportunity to provide stability on their backend and they can afford it. These next few years are going to be their opportunity to make a run for it and they are re-branding in Brooklyn immediately, and ongoing competitiveness is paramount. They have a pipeline of young dmen coming up so they should be able to fill out the bottom part of their D with cheaper, value contracts for the length of this deal. With Lubo possibly done all they are doing is shifting the dollars around.

The other thing to keep in mind, especially when considering that Boychuk is puttng up near Elite numbers, is that he provides a rock to build upon. He does everything for them, PP, 5on5, PK, big minutes, tough....and allows the rest of their D to play to their strengths. Leddy will never be the physical presence of Boychuk but he now has more room to do his job. The same can be said of Hamonic for his skill set, and will be for Reinhart too. All in all, their dollars spent on the D will still be in line with the league average and they will have every component to be dangerous for the next half dozen years.

Snow is putting his pieces in place to be a yearly competitor in the East. That's worthy of a financial gamble when you're talking about such an important piece. The cap room will be available to re-sign their forwards when they need to.

$6 Mill a year is less than market value for a 31-year old defenceman whose best season pointwise prior to this season was last year when he had 23 points?

Granted he's a solid defensive d-man and maybe a strong voice in the locker room. But $6 MM for the next 7 years is rediculously over-priced.

The Tan-man's agent must be licking his chops today and I'm worried about what Tanev might be looking for from the team. I just don't think they're going to make him the highest paid d-man on the team.

Down the road that contract will look probably look ugly, which is why I'm under the impression Snow settling for term indicates he thinks his team will hit its peak within five years. 6mill for a solid number one shut down guy is well worth it. Not to mention he'd be on pace for 40-45 points over a full season, not too shabby at all.

He is what Phaneuf could be if he had any consistency is his game whatsoever. Pure captain material.

- Right handed shot

- Bomb of a shot (and ACCURATE)

- Hits like a truck

- Not afraid to drop the gloves

- One of the best defensive Dmen in the game

You pay up to keep a guy like that no matter what. Tanev only stacks up in the RHS department and is offers less than Boychuk in the defensive department. There's no way he can use Boychuks contract as leverage.

As the resident Islanders fan, I'll give my two cents (I know know you've all been waiting for it).

I could see it being an issue in the final couple years depending on what the cap/salaries do but yeah, largely they're not screwed. Boychuck certainly didn't give them a "deal" though.

If I personally could have determined the numbers ( :rolleyes: ) I'd say 5 years at $5.5m would have been exceedingly fair but that doesn't make this a "bad" deal. It's just not a great one.

I could see it being an issue in the final couple years depending on what the cap/salaries do but yeah, largely they're not screwed. Boychuck certainly didn't give them a "deal" though.

If I personally could have determined the numbers ( :rolleyes: ) I'd say 5 years at $5.5m would have been exceedingly fair but that doesn't make this a "bad" deal. It's just not a great one.

And in the end, this is how I view it. It certainly isn't great in comparison to Halak's, Tavares', or Okposo's contracts; but it is far from terrible (see: Phaneuf, Clarkson, Semin).

This is pretty much the same percentage of the cap we gave Bieksa in 2011. And Boychuk has been the Isles' best defenseman by a long shot, and would have been one of the top UFA targets in the league come July 1st.

Seems like a really good deal to me. If they didn't give him 7 years, then they'd have to pay him 7 per - so pick your poison. And although he's 31, he's only in his 6th NHL season, so not as much mileage. I wouldn't be shocked if he's still effective past 35.

Thanks a lot NYI. So much for the pipe dream of getting EJ locked up long term at a good discount. We're going to have trouble getting him at anything under 7 million for 8 years come July 1st with the precedent this set. EJ and Barrie will probably come close to 100 million this summer between them. Good times.

No one cares.

Garth Snow never learns...

This dude is a total hit and miss with his contracts and trades. Makes a real good move one time, and a really bad one the next.

Moulson/Vanek trade? Yes. Every signing he's done, except this one? No.

Archived