The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Ducks/Nucks <-> prospect swap

photo.jpg

Nicklas Jensen

canucks_normal.gif

Emerson Etem

Both are left handed shots who play the right wing. Etem selected 29th overall in 2010, Jensen 29th overall in 2011. Jensen 6'3" 200lbs, Etem 6'1" 205lbs. Both guys are having a tough time finding their step with their current teams and could use a change of scenery. 1 for 1 prospect swap, similar build and both taken 29th overall just in different draft years.

Catch:

Etem is a Medicine Hat Tigers boy. Willie knows him and put up tremendous numbers back then together. Could help revive his career. He is 22 and could still be developed. Etem can play both centre and right wing. Him and Shinkaruk (previous teammates in Medicine Hat) could have a reunion and get both of them kick started back on the right path down in Utica. If they find their touch and chemistry, could go a long ways for their respective careers as both seem to get the best out of each other.

Jensen still has a year of being exempt from waivers. Etem, similar to Baertschi, will have to clear waivers next season.

Baertschi and Vey are both all but assured spots next year. Tough to promise the same for Etem.

Jensen will have another year in Utica with up and down stints with the big club. Hopefully he can find some offensive consistency and really earn a job.

If we're trading Jensen for a prospect, I'd hope it'd be a defenceman. We're pretty stacked at wing with Baertschi, Vey, Jensen, Shinkaruk, Virtanen, Kenins and Kassian right now. Who do we have on defence in the farm who's got top-4 NHL potential? Corrado, Clendening and Subban to an extent - that's it, and none of them are left handed defencemen.

I say try to get Shea Theodore (ANA), Derreck Poulliot (PIT) or Joe Morrow (BOS). All of them are top-notch defensive prospects who are on the verge of breaking into the NHL, and are around the same early-20 age group that would fit nicely with the rest of our D-men but most importantly, they're a tad younger so will replace Hamhuis' minutes nicely.

Anaheim and Boston both have quite a few young puck movers already on their blueline, making Theodore and Morrow a little bit expendable. Poulliot is a bit ahead of the other two and on a much thinner blueline, I doubt Pittsburgh trade him away unless it's something big like 1st + Jensen + current roster player.

TO ANA: Jensen

TO VAN: Theodore

Theodore's only 19 so would benefit from a full season in the AHL before making the NHL, but we can sign Sbisa again to a one year deal and see how he fares. The following season, have Theodore come up and play bottom pairing minutes, then the year after that he should hopefully be in our top-4 replacing Hamhuis' minutes. At that stage, the Canucks roster should be revamped and ready for a Cup run (3 years time).

If we're trading Jensen for a prospect, I'd hope it'd be a defenceman. We're pretty stacked at wing with Baertschi, Vey, Jensen, Shinkaruk, Virtanen, Kenins and Kassian right now. Who do we have on defence in the farm who's got top-4 NHL potential? Corrado, Clendening and Subban to an extent - that's it, and none of them are left handed defencemen.

I say try to get Shea Theodore (ANA), Derreck Poulliot (PIT) or Joe Morrow (BOS). All of them are top-notch defensive prospects who are on the verge of breaking into the NHL, and are around the same early-20 age group that would fit nicely with the rest of our D-men but most importantly, they're a tad younger so will replace Hamhuis' minutes nicely.

Anaheim and Boston both have quite a few young puck movers already on their blueline, making Theodore and Morrow a little bit expendable. Poulliot is a bit ahead of the other two and on a much thinner blueline, I doubt Pittsburgh trade him away unless it's something big like 1st + Jensen + current roster player.

Theodore's only 19 so would benefit from a full season in the AHL before making the NHL, but we can sign Sbisa again to a one year deal and see how he fares. The following season, have Theodore come up and play bottom pairing minutes, then the year after that he should hopefully be in our top-4 replacing Hamhuis' minutes. At that stage, the Canucks roster should be revamped and ready for a Cup run (3 years time).

Ducks decline.

Jensen still has a year of being exempt from waivers. Etem, similar to Baertschi, will have to clear waivers next season.

Baertschi and Vey are both all but assured spots next year. Tough to promise the same for Etem.

Jensen will have another year in Utica with up and down stints with the big club. Hopefully he can find some offensive consistency and really earn a job.

Yup. Baer needs those minutes. No room for Etem.

Anaheim laughs their ass off

Anaheim laughs their ass off

Fair enough, I didn't see Theodore's season point totals for this year.

5 points in 5 AHL games, over a point per game in the WHL this year.

Jensen has 22 points in 44 games in the AHL this season.

Jensen + one of Higgins (if they want offensive depth), 2nd round pick (equivalent to Garrison/Vey, maybe a bit overkill, 3rd/4th would be more fair), Hansen or Stanton (plus a very late 4th or 6th rounder) should do it.

Personally, I'd like to see Jensen + Stanton + 4th round pick for Theodore. Canucks get their D-man, Anaheim get a very solid, young 6th/7th shutdown defenceman (leads our team in +/-, 10 points in 50 games isn't shabby) as well as a forward who may well be NHL-ready next season and Anaheim would love that size.

Plan: Canucks leave Theodore in the AHL for a full season, ideally to play with Corrado and get some chemistry going there. Then in the 2016-2017 season, heres our lineup on defence:

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Clendening

Theodore - Corrado

The following season, those pairings stay the same but the bottom pairing slowly becomes the top pairing for our future.

Fair enough, I didn't see Theodore's season point totals for this year.

5 points in 5 AHL games, over a point per game in the WHL this year.

Jensen has 22 points in 44 games in the AHL this season.

Jensen + one of Higgins (if they want offensive depth), 2nd round pick (equivalent to Garrison/Vey, maybe a bit overkill, 3rd/4th would be more fair), Hansen or Stanton (plus a very late 4th or 6th rounder) should do it.

Personally, I'd like to see Jensen + Stanton + 4th round pick for Theodore. Canucks get their D-man, Anaheim get a very solid, young 6th/7th shutdown defenceman (leads our team in +/-, 10 points in 50 games isn't shabby) as well as a forward who may well be NHL-ready next season and Anaheim would love that size.

Plan: Canucks leave Theodore in the AHL for a full season, ideally to play with Corrado and get some chemistry going there. Then in the 2016-2017 season, heres our lineup on defence:

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Clendening

Theodore - Corrado

The following season, those pairings stay the same but the bottom pairing slowly becomes the top pairing for our future.

How often do you see a trade where a team trades a blue chip prospect like Theodore for a lesser prospec, marginal NHL player, and a mid round pick? It just doesn't happen.

We had our chance to get Theodore in the Kesler trade. I'm assuming Murray wouldn't budge. Shame too, was really hoping for either Theodore or the 10th overall.

Vancouver is very fortunate that McCann fell to 24. He will make that trade a win for JB.

Archived