The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Days of Our Lives.

Thornton seriously over-reacting.

If the timing werent' so bad, whomever's Wilson's boss is should step in and suspend Thornton imo.

You don't publicly tell your GM to shut his mouth, particularly after misquoting/strawmanning him, and suggesting that he is "lying". What exactly is Wilson lying about?

thornton is saying that wilson is lying when he says jo lashes out at guys when things aren't going well . I know this much . somebodies not being honest here

You know what fair enough, but I think this is something you deal with in the offseason. Not when your team is in the thick of it with a little over ten games left in the season.

Unless he feels that Thornton is being such a cancer in the room that it's that important to force him to cut out the garbage. Given Thornton's history, that doesn't seem like much of a stretch. Better hurt No Show Joe's feelings than give the rest of the team the impression that what he's doing is acceptable.

thornton is saying that wilson is lying when he says jo lashes out at guys when things aren't going well . I know this much . somebodies not being honest here,

I'm not so sure. Thornton is also going on about working hard, and sabbaticals, which really has nothing to do with what appear to be Wilson's comments. It's possible he was asked a question by someone - perhaps a leading, baited question - before he actually looked at what Wilson said in context, and blasted off - because his response seems a bit odd and out of left field otherwise.

In either event, I think Thornton owes Wilson an apology.

I highly disagree with what some of you are saying about Thornton. Thornton has been the leader in SJ for so long, and he has led the team in more than one way. For him, the captaincy means more than his wage, and he really cares about his reputation, given how much he has done for the team.

Some of you are comparing Thornton to Hank. Okay, Thornton doesn't bring it in the playoffs. Hank does not bring it in the playoffs. Thornton doesn't play a clean game, Hank does and gets pushed around a lot more. Size does make a difference, but if you are intimidating, fewer people will mess with you. The issue about Thornton commenting on Hertl's 4 goals was brought up. Okay, how is this negative? He was trying to shield a young rookie, and a lot of the heat directed at Hertl was shifted to him. This is far from classless. I have a very difficult time imaging Hank standing up for anyone, especially a rookie that can be easily overlooked.

Joe is a heart and soul guy, and this is how he does things. Thornton lashes out at people in SJ's locker room when they DON'T BRING THEIR GAME. Have you seen Todd McLellan? You think he talks in a soothing manner to his players in the locker room? I always see him screaming (and foaming a bit around his mouth) on the player's bench. Even if Joe is loud in the locker room, it will be an echo of what Todd brings.

Now let's see if DW should have called out his top center when his team is pushing for playoffs. Since when does a GM have to say anything honest at any time? A player would use more tact than him, given similar circumstances. Actions should have consequences, and if DW knew Joe was hot tempered, why would you stir the pot like that?

Meh, let Wilson play chicken with Jumbo. Thornton can't fired, but Wilson sure can.

Wilson knew what he's saying would get a rise out of Joe. He knows the player's code. Hell, I remember when Doug Wilson played for San Jose.

Maybe he thinks that since he was the first Sharks captain in team history he can tell when someone isn't fit to wear the hallowed 'C'

I will say, however: Doug Wilson was a better player than Thornton is today, even if he was a defenseman.

Lots of GMs could get fired every year...but considering how legendary Wilson is in the hockey world, maybe he thinks he's immune, I dunno.

Phaneuf lashes out. Does that make him a better captain too?

Just because players keep calm on the ice it doesn't mean they don't care.

I didn't say good or bad. I meant to imply different strokes for different folks. The humble leader doesn't cut it for everyone. And sometimes you like to see frustration up front instead of having it bottled up.

I'll take that bet.

Call it a friendly bet. Wilson should not be even seen close to digging holes, regardless how easy Joe jumps in.

Becoming a circus down there. It should come as no surprise when any or all take the fall...

I'm only betting on Thornton because he has the most clout, NMC's and all as part of the consideration..

thornton-picks-sedins-nose.jpg

The guy just does too many things you don't want a "leader" doing.

Who wants to hear about what he'd do with himself if he scored 4 goals?

The context of that is pretty misleading. Thornton said that about 4 goals because he was defending Hertl. A captain who actually sticks up for a rookie by diverting attention towards himself? I can't remember the last time Hank stuck his neck out like that for the rookies who constantly get put under the spotlight for the Canucks. Not everyone wants the "humble" leader type.

As for the OP, based on previous playoff performances, Thornton isn't the only one to blame for the Shark's lack of playoff successes. If anything, Wilson not-so-subtly tried to pin all the team's problems on the (ex)captain.

... Can't believe i'm actually defending a Sharks player. Still though, it's pretty much the same as everyone trying to put all the blame on Luongo for the team falling short of the cup in 2011.

The context of that is pretty misleading. Thornton said that about 4 goals because he was defending Hertl. A captain who actually sticks up for a rookie by diverting attention towards himself? I can't remember the last time Hank stuck his neck out like that for the rookies who constantly get put under the spotlight for the Canucks. Not everyone wants the "humble" leader type.

You kinda missed what was happening there. Thornton has a horrendous reputation for consistently being an @sshole to reporters, interrupting interviews, answering questions with the old standard "What do you know? You never played in the NHL." and just generally being a prick. He's got no respect for people trying to do their job and he lashes out like a bitch when he doesn't like what's going on.

That's why Botchford went public with what Thornton was saying, it had less to do with what he said and more to do with Thornton's history. He was being a dick that day and Botchford and the Province staff taught him a lesson that was well received by a lot of the media who had had enough.

edit. I just remembered that Lupul was trying to lead a boycott against Botchford after that. I wonder if that's still in effect

Perhaps Joe is just not bright enough to comprehend Wilson's nuance ... I love a good implosion somewhere else in our Division for a change rather than the Canucks ... they should trade Joe to the Leafs ... him and Dion can lead them to the 'promised land' next year .. namely, the draft lottery for 2016 ... unless the 'fix' is already in for this year.

Archived