The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The last 19 games against the Kings

Ronalds.Kenins41

Canucks rely on passing, mostly, to create offense, the Kings specialize in clogging the slot and forcing shots to the outside. They are so effective at this that they essentially stop any rushing offense causing teams to rely on outside and point shots to create offense off of rebounds and screens.

This is where the Canucks struggle most, since they have to get set up in the zone to work the point, this means they have to win battles along the boards against the much more physical Kings who have intimidated the Canucks since their first Stanley Cup run. As well, when the puck finally does get back to the point, we see very limited offense due to the simple fact that our guys responsible for screening Quick are so easily boxed out. This creates a losing formula as our best chance at offense is to simply shoot the puck at Quick from bad angles where he has full view to hope we get lucky and he gives up a rebound (he never does).

This means, the only way the Canucks can beat the Kings is if they match them in physicality. A tune we are oh so sick of hearing.

Canucks rely on passing, mostly, to create offense, the Kings specialize in clogging the slot and forcing shots to the outside. They are so effective at this that they essentially stop any rushing offense causing teams to rely on outside and point shots to create offense off of rebounds and screens.

This is where the Canucks struggle most, since they have to get set up in the zone to work the point, this means they have to win battles along the boards against the much more physical Kings who have intimidated the Canucks since their first Stanley Cup run. As well, when the puck finally does get back to the point, we see very limited offense due to the simple fact that our guys responsible for screening Quick are so easily boxed out. This creates a losing formula as our best chance at offense is to simply shoot the puck at Quick from bad angles where he has full view to hope we get lucky and he gives up a rebound (he never does).

This means, the only way the Canucks can beat the Kings is if they match them in physicality. A tune we are oh so sick of hearing.

Good job. To add to that, I was just watching the WPG vs LA game, the one in which WPG won 5-2 to see what WPG does that is so effective against LA.

-WPG has really good skaters that can just skate by the forechecker. Basically, LA's efforts to clog up the passing lane doesn't work because WPG guys will just skate by the first forechecker and every other forecheckers are now busy skating back.

Besides, because they are good skaters, WPG skaters get open easier to receive a pass if the puck carrier is pressured.

-LA failed to set up down low on offensive zone and maintain pressure against WPG because WPG has guys that can over match them in physical play.

Remember how LA was basically in our zone and cycling the puck freely? One reason for that is that we don't have players to physically match them to knock them off the puck.

-Most of WPG's goals were scored off of LA turnovers. WPG usually sends 3 guys to go fight for the puck. They mainly use their body to push the defenders around and this causes panic among LA players, which causes turnovers.

Because most of WPG's forwards are good skaters, even if they send 3 guys in, they are able to get back in time to prevent any odd man rushes.

-WPG intimidated LA. I think the presence of Byfuglien at the backend made LA players going to retrieve the puck to be cautious.

Question is, what can we do to beat LA? We don't really have great skaters and we don't have size at the back end. I mean, I think Edler is the biggest guy at our backend and he is just an average sized player in LA.

First, having players like Corrado out and Bieksa in will help. I like Corrado but he is still a rookie and that was clear from his inability to knock the LA players off the puck. Bieksa isn't big but he will be able to knock them off the puck more frequently than Corrado.

Like someone said on the thread about whether Bieksa will help the team or not, having him helps because every pairing can now have a big of toughness aspect with addition of Bieksa.

Second, we've got to use dump in hockey appropriately. The purpose is to retrieve the puck by hitting. As time goes on, hitting will lead to turnovers.

In general, I noticed that although carrying the puck in leads to more shooting opportunities but causing turnover after a dump in led to better scoring chances.

Third, better break outs. If you can't skate around them or skate to get behind the opponents to get open, then come up with a break out plan that works.

Lastly, but most importantly, we need solid goaltending. But everyone knows this.

So basically, we just don't have the players to play LA evenly yet and to be honest, you don't build a team just to beat one team. You build a team that is composed of different types of players so that you can beat many different types of teams.

Good job. To add to that, I was just watching the WPG vs LA game, the one in which WPG won 5-2 to see what WPG does that is so effective against LA.

-WPG has really good skaters that can just skate by the forechecker. Basically, LA's efforts to clog up the passing lane doesn't work because WPG guys will just skate by the first forechecker and every other forecheckers are now busy skating back.

Besides, because they are good skaters, WPG skaters get open easier to receive a pass if the puck carrier is pressured.

-LA failed to set up down low on offensive zone and maintain pressure against WPG because WPG has guys that can over match them in physical play.

Remember how LA was basically in our zone and cycling the puck freely? One reason for that is that we don't have players to physically match them to knock them off the puck.

-Most of WPG's goals were scored off of LA turnovers. WPG usually sends 3 guys to go fight for the puck. They mainly use their body to push the defenders around and this causes panic among LA players, which causes turnovers.

Because most of WPG's forwards are good skaters, even if they send 3 guys in, they are able to get back in time to prevent any odd man rushes.

-WPG intimidated LA. I think the presence of Byfuglien at the backend made LA players going to retrieve the puck to be cautious.

Question is, what can we do to beat LA? We don't really have great skaters and we don't have size at the back end. I mean, I think Edler is the biggest guy at our backend and he is just an average sized player in LA.

First, having players like Corrado out and Bieksa in will help. I like Corrado but he is still a rookie and that was clear from his inability to knock the LA players off the puck. Bieksa isn't big but he will be able to knock them off the puck more frequently than Corrado.

Like someone said on the thread about whether Bieksa will help the team or not, having him helps because every pairing can now have a big of toughness aspect with addition of Bieksa.

Second, we've got to use dump in hockey appropriately. The purpose is to retrieve the puck by hitting. As time goes on, hitting will lead to turnovers.

In general, I noticed that although carrying the puck in leads to more shooting opportunities but causing turnover after a dump in led to better scoring chances.

Third, better break outs. If you can't skate around them or skate to get behind the opponents to get open, then come up with a break out plan that works.

Lastly, but most importantly, we need solid goaltending. But everyone knows this.

So basically, we just don't have the players to play LA evenly yet and to be honest, you don't build a team just to beat one team. You build a team that is composed of different types of players so that you can beat many different types of teams.

I noticed the same think when Nashville was playing them (I have watched the highlights for that game in great detail)

and Nashville's forwards were just so speedy that the LA defenders always seemed a step behind them.

Nashville scored 7 goals that game and chased Quick early. The fact I noticed is if LA's defense is being beaten consistently like they were against Nashville that game, Quick looks average at best.

But our team unfortunately has neither the speed nor the size to beat LA's defense but I was still a little surprised that the Horvat, Hansen and Kenins line couldn't do much against LA. In theory, they should be successful.

It's cuase our team is way too small to compete

trade:

Kassian, Corrado, McCann, 2nd to Phili for Simmonds

McMillan to EDM for Volpatti

Barteschi and a 1st round pick 2015 for Luchic

Weber and a 4th 4 McQuadi

LINES:

Sedin Sedin Simmonds

Luchic - Bonino - Vrbata

Kenin - Horvart - Handsen

Volpatti - Richardson - Mattias

doorset - setito Higgins