The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

how to beat the la kings

ComptonCanuck

I think the canucks should play a more possession based game. kings forwards breed off of give aways and d-men that cannot pass the puck they need to hold onto the puck and keep it away from kopidar and doughty. they are too good of a team to just keep giving the puck to!

possession is the kings game and if you limit this you will be very succesfful.

you need to beat the kings off the rush and if the canucks do this they will win many games against them

Score the first goal. They're a much different team with the lead. They know how to win games 1-0.

Score first, hope that they open things up a bit, and bury chances when you get them. They're beatable, it's just not easy. Especially when Quick is on his game.

I felt like the Canucks actually had the momentum until Dorsett took a selfish slashing penalty, and cost them a powerplay goal against.

Score the first goal. They're a much different team with the lead. They know how to win games 1-0.

Score first, hope that they open things up a bit, and bury chances when you get them. They're beatable, it's just not easy. Especially when Quick is on his game.

I felt like the Canucks actually had the momentum until Dorsett took a selfish slashing penalty, and cost them a powerplay goal against.

Good point... but I'm sick of hearing "score the first goal". "Score the first goal" is too vague. How do we score the first goal?

What happens if we don't score the first goal? What's the plan then? Score the second goal? Or give up and let the league know that since we failed to score the first goal, we are going to lose for sure so might as well stop the game and record it as LA win?

As for OP's suggestion, how do we play the possession game when LA gets the puck down deep and use their size to cycle the puck all day like they did for the first 10 minutes of the third? How do we play the puck possession game if LA doesn't give up the puck?

Whether anyone from the Canucks reads this site or not, I'm sure almost everyone here has watched at least hundreds if not 1000+

games, some of us must have some ideas on what we think might work to beat them.

So, how do we beat LA?

Good point... but I'm sick of hearing "score the first goal". "Score the first goal" is too vague. How do we score the first goal?

What happens if we don't score the first goal? What's the plan then? Score the second goal? Or give up and let the league know that since we failed to score the first goal, we are going to lose for sure so might as well stop the game and record it as LA win?

Put the puck in the net instead of whiffing on it like Matthias did?

We had some golden opportunities to score in the first, but just couldn't bare down. That ends up being the difference.

Not saying we should give up after they score the first. But they become a much harder team to beat when they do. They're masters of protecting a 1 goal lead.

They pick teams apart that try to play from behind against them. We're certainly not the first team to have that happen to, and we won't be the last.

Ferraro was on TSN 1040 this afternoon. He said the way the Canucks played LA was all wrong. He talked about in the 1990's when Philly had the Legion of Doom, and Detroit played them in the playoffs. He said Detroit didn't play Philly's style. They played their own style using guys like Lidstrom and Larry Murphy, to use speed and attack.

When you play to match the other teams strength. You lose. Canucks need to play their style.

Ferraro was on TSN 1040 this afternoon. He said the way the Canucks played LA was all wrong. He talked about in the 1990's when Philly had the Legion of Doom, and Detroit played them in the playoffs. He said Detroit didn't play Philly's style. They played their own style using guys like Lidstrom and Larry Murphy, to use speed and attack.

When you play to match the other teams strength. You lose. Canucks need to play their style.

Canucks don't have a style.

Canucks don't have a style.

I was just going to say this. In 2011 we were a skilled, and fast puck moving team. Now we're not really fast, good puck movers, or physical beasts. We're decent at everything, but not really elite or superb at any one thing.

Archived