The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Bieksa make this team's defence better or worst?

They should go with:

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Sbisa

Stanton-Bieksa

Bieksa is not what he used to be and should not be rushed back to big minutes or it will cost us. He has had a pretty disastrous season defensively and while he will make the team better they need to realize he is not a go to guy. Sbisa has had some bumps in the road but has earned a top 4 spot on this team at this point.

I agree this is reasonable. Hammer and Sbisa have played pretty well together (except against LA) and Sbisa has adapted well to playing the right side. And you right about breaking Bieksa in carefully.

However, Hammer and Weber were also surprisingly good when Edler and Tanev were out. And Weber does contribute more to the offence than Sbisa (or Bieksa). He is a long way ahead of Sbisa and Bieksa in both points per 60 minutes and in SAT (net shot attempts) per 60 minutes.

But it would be nice to have the toughness that both Sbisa and Bieksa bring. And Stanton also provides some toughness. So your proposed D pairings give us a stronger physical game on D than we have seen all year.

The other option is to put Bieksa with Hammer and Weber with Sbisa but I agree that Bieksa is not ready for top 4 and Weber and Sbisa have not shown much chemistry.

Bottom line: I think WD will have to try some different combinations before figuring out what is best.

I think we will be better off with him back, he is a guy who will spark the team and give us some more help on defense. It may take him a few games for him to get into a groove so we just have to be patient but having juice is better then no juice.

I agree this is reasonable. Hammer and Sbisa have played pretty well together (except against LA) and Sbisa has adapted well to playing the right side. And you right about breaking Bieksa in carefully.

However, Hammer and Weber were also surprisingly good when Edler and Tanev were out. And Weber does contribute more to the offence than Sbisa (or Bieksa). He is a long way ahead of Sbisa and Bieksa in both points per 60 minutes and in SAT (net shot attempts) per 60 minutes.

But it would be nice to have the toughness that both Sbisa and Bieksa bring. And Stanton also provides some toughness. So your proposed D pairings give us a stronger physical game on D than we have seen all year.

The other option is to put Bieksa with Hammer and Weber with Sbisa but I agree that Bieksa is not ready for top 4 and Weber and Sbisa have not shown much chemistry.

Bottom line: I think WD will have to try some different combinations before figuring out what is best.

Exactly what I wanted to say. I liked Hamhuis-Weber pairing so if Weber is available, I think he should get in with Hamhuis.

Also, somewhat agree that Bieksa should be eased in but at the same time, I think giving him good minutes in the first game back is probably not a bad idea either. He needs to get up to game speed fast if we want to make the playoffs and there is no better game than the Leafs to do that.

Hammer has looked shaky since Bieksa's been out, not to mention dealing with his own injury earlier in the season. Would like to see them get somewhat back to vintage form together.

It seems the past few seasons that ship has sailed. Neither of them have looked particularly effective with the other. The reason they worked so well the cup run year was they were able to focus on being a shutdown pairing while Edler/Ehrhoff carried the offensive role more. Since Ehrhoff left and both have been expected to be Do it all dmen they have both struggled.

There is no question that Bieksa is the heart and soul of this team, he is not just a glue guy, he is a weld guy

Every player on the team will feel much more comfortable on the ice with Bieksa dressed

Bieksa as a #4 or #5 d man on this team right now makes us so much stronger

If Kevin ever became available, you better believe, there would be 29 teams clamoring to get him

Was it more important to get Edler back? yes

Was it more important to get Tanev back? probably

Is it important to get Bieksa back? Oh YA!!!

BjHOBwMCUAAvo8v.jpg

Bieksa has 1 year left after this season

He makes $2.5M next season although his Cap hit would still be $4.6M to the team

Could Bieksa re-sign 1yr@$2.5M in 2016?

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/vancouver-canucks/kevin-bieksa/

There is zero chance Bieksa will sign a cheap contract as a UFA to stay here. Someone like Toronto will offer him multiple years at the same or more money than he makes now and he will take it. ANd I won't blame him but I will certainly blame management for not getting anything for him in return.

The Canucks will continue to pretend he is still top 4 calibre and as such they will price him out of keeping him at a fair cost.

The good news for us is that next year is a contract year so Bieksa should have a great season offensively.

Archived