The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ashton Sautner | D

S N Y P E R S 7

I thought Sautner did not look out of place playing at the end of the year. Excited to see how he comes to camp next season. He should be challenging for a spot for sure.

The future is looking brighter.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting prospect report on him a few years back from Dobber:

December 2015 – After a long and productive junior career in the Western Hockey League, Sautner was signed by the Vancouver Canucks on March 14th of this spring. General Manager Jim Benning must have seen something in him that 29 other GM's did not, as Sautner went undrafted twice during a four year run with the very successful Edmonton Oil Kings.

His draft eligible seasons were nearly identical: 12 points, plus-29 and plus-22, 38 and 28 PIMs respectively. The player we see today is much more like the one that broke-out during the 2013-14 season, exploding for 42 points (8 goals) and a plus-59 rating en route to a Memorial Cup championship.

• Upvote 1

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:41 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

Sautner is solid. Good physical Dman. IMO he's moved up the charts.

Totally agree with you. As the present depth chart is, I would say he is 7-8. If some trades happen, like moving 2-3 of Tanev/MDZ/Hutton/Poulliott, then I like his chances of making the permanent roster next year.

• Upvote 1

I would definitely not be opposed to Sautner making the roster out of camp next season, if some of the Dmen are moved, which they should be, like Hutton or Tanev...  Hutton was in the dog house all season and should be moved...  Sautner did not look out of place as a rookie at all, was very impressed with his play

Edited by Sugar baby watermelon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Well, Sautner's paired with the right defenseman tonight. Those two might hurt someone tonight. 

And Gudbranson is a much more experienced and intimidating defenseman than Sautner, to whomever made that erroneous statement that Sautner was better. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Upvote 2

19 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

He looks like cool, calm, and collected kind of guy.  He gives that vibe of being safe and dependable.  I rather have him on the roster over a guy like Pouliot or Del Zotto. 

He and Motte are guys I am rooting for to make the roster.

I agree with take on Sautner and Motte.. I think both of these players would be claimed on waivers..

Management will have to decide on keeping Sautner 23 over Biega for #7 D man...

Motte plays with lots of energy every shift...

15 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I agree with take on Sautner and Motte.. I think both of these players would be claimed on waivers..

Management will have to decide on keeping Sautner 23 over Biega for #7 D man...

Motte plays with lots of energy every shift...

I have to go with Sautner over Biega. I like what Alex has done for the team but tbh when he got a lot of playing time he didn't fare all that well and he really hasn't impressed in camp. I suspect we'd lose Biega to Edmonton but thats fine. 

I'd keep Motte up over Gagner as well. Gagner would clear waives and he'd actually be more tradable with 1mil of his salary buried in the AHL. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Yep.  If my math and Capfriendly are both right 86 players have been placed on waivers through yesterday and only one was claimed.  It is not a common occurrence especially with the early players waived. 

You're CDC'ing wrong. It's more like this: 

:frantic:

• Haha 1