The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ashton Sautner | D

S N Y P E R S 7

2 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I may be alone in this position, but I would love to see Ashton Sautner given a shot at being a full time Dman on the third pairing.

Saunter at 1 million saves us cap dollars for sure.  

I think Sautner breaks with the Canucks this season. I really like him as a cheap, bottom pairing guy. He does need to bring more offense but as a #7/#8 guy, I think he does the job. He's pretty sound defensively and he was one of the defensemen I wasn't worried about when he was playing last season.

But I still think the sleeper player to make the camps out of camp is Brogan Rafferty. He's already 24, a right shot, and also very sound defensively. I think he'd slot in as the third pairing right shot and could move up depending on how the season goes.

• 2 months later...

I have to give some kudos to Sautner's game against the Oilers. Steady, safe game with some physicality. No panic with the puck. IMHO he is NHL ready. Rafferty and Teves can get AHL TOI. I want to see Brisbois in another game but he has looked good as well.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Watching Sautner and Teves progress leaves me to think that a healthy Taney will be traded before Christmas for good future considerations, a solid prospect, or 2nd round pick.  

With the vet presence of Edler Benn Myers and Biegga, there is room for one or two boys to rotate in with the Canucks.

• Upvote 2

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Ashton Sautner | D
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
4 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Not a lot of buzz for this guy.  But with cap issues going into next season, being that he will command very little he could be a nice cheap 6/7 option for us.  A UFA this summer, but sounds like the Canucks are interested in bringing him back.

@Ray_Cathode how did Sautner play in Utica this season?

I think AS has missed his window at this point, as far as becoming a regular on an NHL team.

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Not a lot of buzz for this guy.  But with cap issues going into next season, being that he will command very little he could be a nice cheap 6/7 option for us.  A UFA this summer, but sounds like the Canucks are interested in bringing him back.

Depth call up at best IMO. 7/8 spots will go to players like Brisebois/Rafferty/Chatfield I would think.

On 6/11/2020 at 12:08 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

He spent a lot of time paired with Juolevi - Sautner is a left hand shot who often plays the right side, and the unit/or when paired with someone else played a lot of time against the other team’s top unit, and Sautner killed a lot of penalties. Purely based on observation and subject to my own prejudices, I don’t think he was as effective this year as he was last year before he was hit with a horrific (for which the perp was suspended) hit from behind. Before that injury, he and Brisebois were the guys called up from Utica to fill for injuries - he was a strong AHLer and a marginal NHLer - he played because he could be relied on. I’m not certain he is that guy anymore, but how much to attribute to playing on an almost entirely defensive role in Utica, often with a partner still learning his trade, and on a young team not strong through the middle, and having recovered from serious injury, it is tough to separate the player from his circumstance.  This will be a big year for him when they finally get to the ice.

Edited by Ray_Cathode
Spelling and grammar
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

He is already 26. Good AHL player and nice for a call-up. Biega didn't play his first NHL game until 26 and became a 7/8 guy at 27 so I guess his upside is somewhere around that. 

Nothing wrong with that. Need those guys too. Hell of a lot better than the NHL career I had :lol:

I'd have zero issues with him being one of our 7/8 D, on cheap deal the next couple years.

On 7/3/2020 at 5:56 AM, canucklehead44 said:

He is already 26. Good AHL player and nice for a call-up. Biega didn't play his first NHL game until 26 and became a 7/8 guy at 27 so I guess his upside is somewhere around that. 

At 26, it’s hard to believe that his game will be any better than it is now.

On June 28, 2019 at 6:33 PM, Quantum said:

I think Sautner breaks with the Canucks this season. I really like him as a cheap, bottom pairing guy. He does need to bring more offense but as a #7/#8 guy, I think he does the job. He's pretty sound defensively and he was one of the defensemen I wasn't worried about when he was playing last season.

But I still think the sleeper player to make the camps out of camp is Brogan Rafferty. He's already 24, a right shot, and also very sound defensively. I think he'd slot in as the third pairing right shot and could move up depending on how the season goes.

I think Brisebois 23 soon, 6'2 - plays solid game will be a sleeper and at least a  #5 D man very soon..

So D men in Utica soon to play in MHL 1. Rafferty 25 - 2. Brisebois  23   -  3. Juolevi just turned 22