The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ashton Sautner | D

S N Y P E R S 7

11 hours ago, wildcam said:

I think Brisebois 23 soon, 6'2 - plays solid game will be a sleeper and at least a  #5 D man very soon..

So D men in Utica soon to play in MHL 1. Rafferty 25 - 2. Brisebois  23   -  3. Juolevi just turned 22

MHL ? :picard:

mhl.khl.ru. The Junior Hockey League (MHL) (Russian: Молодежная Хоккейная Лига (МХЛ), romanized: Molodezhnaya Hokkeinaya Liga),

Edited by janisahockeynut

Scores a GEM of a 1st ever NHL tally..assisted by the twins(in their remaining few wks), no less!  Storybook, eh?

Nah..has to be a review & someone's toenail is deemed offside. Seemed a harsh & petty, minor tragedy at the time. Them malevolent hockey Gawds can be cruel.

Hope this kid gets a few yrs(multiple coffees, at least) in the show, & can put a few more in the net. Deserves a decent souvenir.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Scores a GEM of a 1st ever NHL tally..assisted by the twins(in their remaining few wks), no less!  Storybook, eh?

Nah..has to be a review & someone's toenail is deemed offside. Seemed a harsh & petty, minor tragedy at the time. Them malevolent hockey Gawds can be cruel.

Hope this kid gets a few yrs(multiple coffees, at least) in the show, & can put a few more in the net. Deserves a decent souvenir.

Forgot about that, what a damn shame.

17 hours ago, wildcam said:

Thanks,  of course if there in Utica the only league above would be the NHL Canucks ......... Thanks for explaining typo error to previous guy.....

Well with Goldobin and Boucher both headed to to KHL........I was not sure!

LOL.......NO, I knew, just being a jerk! Sorry! :picard:

• Cheers 1

On 7/6/2020 at 12:12 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

On 7/6/2020 at 10:38 AM, theo5789 said:

Forgot about that, what a damn shame.

It's because of this incident that I have complete 0 respect for Vegas and Gerard Gallant. The game was late in the season, meaningless as Vegas has pretty much clinched the Pacific Division. Game is the 3rd or 4th last game in the regular season and those weren't important points that will decide the fate of Vegas on whether or not they make the playoffs. This is the kid's first NHL goal, and assisted by 2 legends who is set to retire at the end of the week. Should've just let the kid celebrate the moment, so he can tell his grandchildren one day that his first ever NHL goal was assisted by the Sedin twins. Gallant deserves to be kicked to the curbside with his luggage waiting for a cab, and I can't wait to see the banwagon falls off for Vegas once they start to be a bad team as their core gets older.

• Thanks 1

On 7/4/2020 at 12:41 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

At 26, it’s hard to believe that his game will be any better than it is now.

It’s more so he is a reliable call up option and could impress enough in his time to get 30-40 games per season. I don’t see him ever being a regular 

On 7/9/2020 at 2:42 AM, ruilin96 said:

It's because of this incident that I have complete 0 respect for Vegas and Gerard Gallant. The game was late in the season, meaningless as Vegas has pretty much clinched the Pacific Division. Game is the 3rd or 4th last game in the regular season and those weren't important points that will decide the fate of Vegas on whether or not they make the playoffs. This is the kid's first NHL goal, and assisted by 2 legends who is set to retire at the end of the week. Should've just let the kid celebrate the moment, so he can tell his grandchildren one day that his first ever NHL goal was assisted by the Sedin twins. Gallant deserves to be kicked to the curbside with his luggage waiting for a cab, and I can't wait to see the banwagon falls off for Vegas once they start to be a bad team as their core gets older.

Thanks..I'd forgotten the details on which coach it was. Agreed, Gallant there was a complete schmoe. By chance, worked with that dude's cousin back in the late 80's. Sure knew how to kill a great moment..hope it comes back, as lousy on-ice karma.

• 2 months later...

Not surprising to say the least, I remember JB mentioning him as someone they were thinking of stepping up in the next year and then at the deadline suggesting they were interested in bringing him back.  Wonder if his underwhelming bubble camp changed their minds.

Wonder if he signs an AHL deal to stay with the Comets instead.  He was a popular guy not just with the management but coaching staff really liked him too.  Basically was used to stabilize Juolevi on the right side for a bit, played minutes with Brisebois and Rafferty to be the defensive conscience on the backend for the Comets.

1 minute ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Not surprising to say the least, I remember JB mentioning him as someone they were thinking of stepping up in the next year and then at the deadline suggesting they were interested in bringing him back.  Wonder if his underwhelming bubble camp changed their minds.

Wonder if he signs an AHL deal to stay with the Comets instead.  He was a popular guy not just with the management but coaching staff really liked him too.  Basically was used to stabilize Juolevi on the right side for a bit, played minutes with Brisebois and Rafferty to be the defensive conscience on the backend for the Comets.

Decent player, but we need to focus on development of our younger guys now. The minutes are going to be needed to challenge guys like OJ (if he doesn't make the team out of camp), Rathbone and Brisebois on the left side. Chatfield and Rafferty on the right. Will probably see Woo in the lineup and could always find cheap AHL depth.

Utica could have a very young blueline next year, need a veteran to help the young group out.  Utica has been known to carry veterans in the forward department, but adding Sautner would be very helpful.  Could have very well 2 new faces stepping into pro hockey, need some level of continuity and leadership.

11 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Utica could have a very young blueline next year, need a veteran to help the young group out.  Utica has been known to carry veterans in the forward department, but adding Sautner would be very helpful.  Could have very well 2 new faces stepping into pro hockey, need some level of continuity and leadership.

Chatfield and Brisebois have 140+ AHL games in experience each. Chatfield can play with Rathbone and Brisebois can play with Woo.

• Cheers 1

I'm not sure Sautner has a lot of value outside of the Canucks. I bet they circle back on Sautner later. Could end up on an AHL deal. The fact that he hasn't left for Europe is a good sign. Was he a Black Ace during the bubble? I feel like he got cut but correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't see him being an NHLer but he's a good Utica guy and could be signed next weekend.

If he's not re-signed, best of luck to him wherever he goes.

10 minutes ago, Quantum said:

I'm not sure Sautner has a lot of value outside of the Canucks. I bet they circle back on Sautner later. Could end up on an AHL deal. The fact that he hasn't left for Europe is a good sign. Was he a Black Ace during the bubble? I feel like he got cut but correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't see him being an NHLer but he's a good Utica guy and could be signed next weekend.

If he's not re-signed, best of luck to him wherever he goes.

He’s a good foot soldier but it’s time to move on. He didn’t look that great this year. I got a sense of dissatisfaction from him that he wasn’t getting more call ups. He’s battled for everything he’s earned, but I really do think he’s peaked or needs another chance with another team. You could kinda see his swagger was gone this year compared to other previous seasons. 

He did not make the roster for our bubble team. Was invited but never made the cut.

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

He’s a good foot soldier but it’s time to move on. He didn’t look that great this year. I got a sense of dissatisfaction from him that he wasn’t getting more call ups. He’s battled for everything he’s earned, but I really do think he’s peaked or needs another chance with another team. You could kinda see his swagger was gone this year compared to other previous seasons. 

He did not make the roster for our bubble team. Was invited but never made the cut.

Yeah, that was the other side of it that I was thinking about. He's clearly been overtaken on the depth chart by guys like Jalen Chatfield, Brogan Rafferty, Jack Rathbone, Guillaume Brisebois, and Oli Juolevi. (I know that's a mix of RD and LD guys, but still, just wanted to highlight the number of guys that have overtaken him)

I think he was hoping he'd get the 7th or 8th man defensive spot this year with the Canucks but I think Oscar Fantenberg's arrival/emergence really put a stop to any momentum Ashton Sautner was gaining within the organization. Sautner basically lost his spot to Fantenberg (who, the season before arriving in Vancouver, split time between the AHL's Ontario Reign, the terrible 2018-2019 LA Kings, and Calgary Flames) who, I don't believe, was penciled into the Canucks lineup when he was signed necessarily -- and I think losing that spot to Fantenberg contributed to that lack of swagger you're mentioning.

I still think he'd still be a good guy for Utica to keep, if they can, but I totally would get if he walked to go somewhere else. Both options are realistic and with Sautner being a UFA, I can totally see him leaving for greener pastures.

JB did mention in February he singled out his name as a guy they were hoping could step in and be a depth guy.

I suspect they want him as a cheap 7th/8th to sit on the roster rather than have Juolevi/Rafferty/Chatfield sit there if they don't make the top six.  Its time, he has earned that right with the big club, just all remains to be seen if its with us or with another club.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...