The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ashton Sautner | D

S N Y P E R S 7

• 4 months later...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/canucks-central-at-noon/rick-dhaliwal-upcoming-rfa-ufas-canucks-travis-hamonic-contract-extensions/

Rick Dhaliwal believes that Canucks have interest in bringing back Ashton Sautner to be the captain of Abbotsford AHL team. Ashton immediately went to Manitoba this season and was named as an assistant captain, and apparently his leadership skills has caught the eye of Canuck brass.

Sautner is a UFA this season, he signed a contract last summer. Will be interesting if he returns. He brings leadership and a physical edge, would be a very good presence to have our young players. He has been with our organization for a long time, had his taste in the NHL, and has played an honest and hardworking game. Trent Cull used Ashton Sautner a lot with Olli Juolevi in the 2019-2020 season as the "shut down" pairing. Sautner can play both sides defensively, has an physical edge to his game, and seems to have a very low maintenance personality.

I've always been a fan of Sautner. Still think he would make a great depth dman, but would be happy to have him continue in the organization as a leader in Abbotsford for years to come.  Several NHL teams have retained certain players to stay in the AHL farm team to be longstanding leaders.  Pittsburgh kept Tom Kostopolous (former NHL enforcer) who was also their captain for a long while, until he retired and now a development coach for the Penguins. LA Kings kept Darryl Sutter's son Brett Sutter for several years but eventually moved on to opportunities else where. Even the Canucks keeping Carter Bancks and Wacey Hamilton signing them to AHL deals to reside in Utica. I feel Sautner could have a long tenure with Vancouver being a great leader presence for the young players coming into the AHL system.

• Cheers 1

This was his interview when he was reupped last fall. 

Sautner seems to recognize he knows his overall rule in an organization, obviously still would like to get an NHL look but knows what he brings is leadership and was very excited to provide that intangible to the AHL squad.  Who knows how he feels at this point, but would think he would be interested in coming back to that role. The way he speaks you can tell he is a leader.

I'd be very happy to have him back patrolling in Abby and even maybe get some spot duty if we have injuries.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I always thought Sautner was like a forgotten man. IMO he played well enough during his run in the NHL to warrant a lot more attention. But despite his low Cap hit he's been passd over. I suppose his agent would have reviewed other offer and opportunities. Iliked what he brought which was mostly consistency

• 3 months later...