The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ashton Sautner | D

S N Y P E R S 7

He's really good with the puck on his stick. He's an overager so he has an advantage on everyone else, makes it hard to evaluate how good he can become. Big, poise with the puck, and skates well. Benning really likes big players who skate well, Pedan, Sbisa, Virtanen. It seems to me he likes the fundamentals of the game.

I want Sautner to be assigned to K-zoo instead of Utica this year. He would have a much better opportunity to play there than with the Comets I think. Plus, I want Subban to be assigned to Utica and possibly McNally.

Yea, that's what I thought but I read in an article that Sautner was captain. Maybe they meant alternate?

Was Reinhart injured during that memorial cup run?

Nope.

Also, according to Elite Prospects, Sautner had never worn a letter until he got the C this year.

Edited by Canucks1219

I want Sautner to be assigned to K-zoo instead of Utica this year. He would have a much better opportunity to play there than with the Comets I think. Plus, I want Subban to be assigned to Utica and possibly McNally.

I can't help to think that the ship has sailed on McNally ever turning pro.

Sautner will get a look with one of the Canucks affiliates this year.

I can't help to think that the ship has sailed on McNally ever turning pro.

Sautner will get a look with one of the Canucks affiliates this year.

unfortunately. I have to agree with you. He's running out of opportunities to prove he can be a pro at the NHL level.

Huh? How many opportunities has he had as a pro? None that I know of, and this will likely be his first opportunity barring the NCAA allowing him eligibility to play for next year too. I'm not even sure I'd recommend he go that route if it was offered, but just because he hasn't signed with the Canucks yet doesn't mean he isn't going to before he becomes a free agent on August 1st.

But we haven't yet heard if and when Sautner will get a game in the pros this season either, just that he got a deal earlier since other teams also had interest and we couldn't wait until later to sign him like we can with Subban and McNally.

Huh? How many opportunities has he had as a pro? None that I know of, and this will likely be his first opportunity barring the NCAA allowing him eligibility to play for next year too. I'm not even sure I'd recommend he go that route if it was offered, but just because he hasn't signed with the Canucks yet doesn't mean he isn't going to before he becomes a free agent on August 1st.

But we haven't yet heard if and when Sautner will get a game in the pros this season either, just that he got a deal earlier since other teams also had interest and we couldn't wait until later to sign him like we can with Subban and McNally.

mcnally is what? 23 years old right now? i don't know how many more years he's got until he finishes school. but let's say it's another 1-2 years. he would be 24/25 years old, and probably need 1-2 seasons of AHL seasoning. which would bring him to 25/26 years old. that's a little old to be a prospect. and if he doesn't prove he can cut it, then he's probably not making it to the NHL.

Guest Dasein

How about that one year where he was suspended and could not play hockey, but he chose to stay anyways?

mcnally is what? 23 years old right now? i don't know how many more years he's got until he finishes school. but let's say it's another 1-2 years. he would be 24/25 years old, and probably need 1-2 seasons of AHL seasoning. which would bring him to 25/26 years old. that's a little old to be a prospect. and if he doesn't prove he can cut it, then he's probably not making it to the NHL.

What if McNally is the second coming of Randy Gregg?

In case you don't know who Randy Gregg is, he's the 6'4" 215 lbs. defenceman who made his NHL debut at the age of 26 year old after getting his medical degree and playing international hockey in Japan for two years (which is like taking two years off) and for Fr. Bauer in the Canadian National Program. He went onto to be a stalwart NHL d-man for 7-8 seasons finishing his career with the Canucks.

Would you say no to a guy like that? McNally has the potential to be that kind of a guy.

EDIT: Should also add that Gregg signed with Edmonton, his hometown and U of A, where he got his med degree. So, I stated this in the McNally thread and will say again...if I'm McNally, I would exercise my right to become a UFA and sign with a team that is closer to my hometown or alma mater (Long Island and Cambridge, respectively). My bet is that he'll wait and become a UFA and sign with the Bruins. If he cracks the Bruins line up, he's back in Harvard...if not, he's down the road to Providence, home to another Ivy League school, Brown University. If not the Bruins, then NYR, NYI, Philly, NJ or Washington would be where I'd expect him to look. All their farm teams are close to Harvard.

Edited by bigbadcanucks

What if McNally is the second coming of Randy Gregg?

In case you don't know who Randy Gregg is, he's the 6'4" 215 lbs. defenceman who made his NHL debut at the age of 26 year old after getting his medical degree and playing international hockey in Japan for two years (which is like taking two years off) and for Fr. Bauer in the Canadian National Program. He went onto to be a stalwart NHL d-man for 7-8 seasons finishing his career with the Canucks.

Would you say no to a guy like that? McNally has the potential to be that kind of a guy.

ya but not for us lol.

McNally has one more year before school is done for him. If he plays, good. If not, bye bye.

And wasn't McNally a 4th anyway?

Bieksa didn't play a full season in the NHL until he was 25

• Upvote 1

Guest Dasein

Bieksa didn't play a full season in the NHL until he was 25

And if McNally was to follow Bieksa's footprints by age, he should have turned pro last season

McNally is pretty behind for his age whichever way you cut it - he's the same age as Linden Vey and is the second oldest defensive prospect in our system after Peter Andersson

And I'm not saying he's young and has forever to prove himself still, but he choose to stay in school after the cheating scandal. I can respect that decision, but this will be his first real opportunity to go pro and the poster before mine was making it sound like he's had multiple opportunities or has failed at training camps to impress.

Benning and Co. will decide if he gets signed before August and then we'll see if he can take advantage of a pro opportunity or not. We have that leeway, why rush it or assume he's not returning because he doesn't have a deal yet?