The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Afer Ashton Saunter - Any more Free Prospects to chase?

Patrick Jane

I really think he should pickup a good young player with some decent size who went undrafted or has been playing in Europe preferably in the 20-22 range.

Dario Simion from the Swiss league. is the player I would go for. He got invited to the Blackhawks development camp two years ago and was scouted to have good potential.

Last year he had 3 goals 5 points in 42 games, this year he scored 13 goals 27 points in 47 games. He may have had a bit of a growth spirt too, being listed at 6'3 192 instead of 6'1 187 on older reports.

Maybe not worth signing but a camp invite nonetheless. Reports say he is a two-way player with good speed and size.

The NCAA list of free agents is always interesting this time of year. College teams are in the playoffs now, meaning some of the weaker teams have players already available to sign. The past few years have led to the signings of Lain and Zalewski to this club, neither really notable.

Anyways, a short list was released today by usatoday: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2015/03/14/college-hockey-free-agents/24754985/

Rodriques is interesting, Eichel's winger with 53 points in 34 games!

At D, Kenny Morrison has interest as a Junior, if he choses to leave school. Troy Stecher is another D, though undersize at 5'10.

Dario Simion from the Swiss league. is the player I would go for. He got invited to the Blackhawks development camp two years ago and was scouted to have good potential.

Last year he had 3 goals 5 points in 42 games, this year he scored 13 goals 27 points in 47 games. He may have had a bit of a growth spirt too, being listed at 6'3 192 instead of 6'1 187 on older reports.

Maybe not worth signing but a camp invite nonetheless. Reports say he is a two-way player with good speed and size.

As is probably the case with many on CDC I've probably seen Simion play in the WJC but don't remember him.

This looks like a good suggestion. He was named NLA most improved player this season in the Swiss-A league and as you point out his scoring picked up and he's now listed as being bigger than was the case a couple of years ago.

otoh he isn't exactly someone that would be off the radar. He's been on the Swiss WJC team 3 times and was listed among Swiss possibles for the draft in 2012, 2013 and 2104 in various scouting reports. The one downside I saw in reports about him was a suggestion from a couple of years ago that he not only isn't physical but sometimes shies away from contact. Does anyone know if that was the case this season with Davos?

Anyways, a short list was released today by usatoday: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2015/03/14/college-hockey-free-agents/24754985/

Troy Stecher is another D, though undersize at 5'10.

Based on your post, I'd go for Baun and Stecher. This team could use some competitive guys esp. after poor performances in recent memory; if Baun's a battler with skill he's someone I'd look at. Hopefully Stecher could become Torey Krug for us? I mean Torey's only 5'9".

I'd love to hear what someone who's seen either guy play before would say.

Not a free agent/prospect persay, but if he decides not to sign with Columbus after he announces he is foregoing his senior year of of University...Benning should be all over Mike Reilly.

Leads all NCAA D in scoring with six goals, and 38 points in 34 games, was drafted in 4th round by Columbus, has been compared to Duncan Keith in terms of his skating/style of play (cheapshot elbows to the head hopefully notwithstanding haha) another late bloomer, think he was listed as 5'10, 150lbs soaking wet when he was drafted, is listed now as 6'1, 183lbs.

Once he announces he is turning pro, Columbus has 30 days to sign him, or he becomes an unrestriced free agent, with Canucks lack of depth on D, and the success Tanev has had here as a free agent college signing, would be foolish to not try to go after this kid, especially with how badly we need a puck moving/PPQB defenseman.

Based on your post, I'd go for Baun and Stecher. This team could use some competitive guys esp. after poor performances in recent memory; if Baun's a battler with skill he's someone I'd look at. Hopefully Stecher could become Torey Krug for us? I mean Torey's only 5'9".

I'd love to hear what someone who's seen either guy play before would say.

I haven't seen Stetcher at ND so I can't tell you much about that, but when he played for the Penticton Vees he was an electric player. I was super excited when they invited him to camp over summer. I remember him being a very good skating puck mover, who PP QB'ed the vees a very exciting power play.

Cons: as you said he's small, and his stats have dropped off a lot since junior a, so he's probably having a tough time adapting. I think we're probably fine just having Subban as a small defensive prospect, he just doesn't match what bennings going for. Ahti Oskanen on the other hand...

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=45426

LW Markus Hännikäinen

21 years old

Undrafted

Shoots Left

6'2" 183lbs

2014/15

JYP Liiga 60GP 19G 27A 46P 51PIM +22

My scouting report:

Strong skater uses his size to get to the net. Likes to get into the dirty areas and knock in the rebounds. Has a good pass, but sometimes gets caught with the puck between his legs, he needs to work on his play in the other 2 zones if he wants to make the big club. Reminds me of a finnish Kassian.

I believe the Canucks have 50 pro contracts on hand if you count Tom Sestito (from news release: http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=754668 I don't think his contract was terminated) and Evan McEneny (overager loaned to Kingston Frontenacs...I believe overagers' under contract loaned to junior teams are counted against the maximum of 50 contracts and the year counts against the term of their ELC), in which case the Canucks will not be able to sign anymore players until the regular season ends.

If Sestito and McEneny's contracts don't count against the 50 limit, then the two players I'd love to see Benning sign are Matt O'Connor (goalie who attended Canucks prospect camp this past summer) and Ahti Oksanen (big d-man who also platoons as a forward, and a junior who might want to turn pro), both of Boston University.

IMO, our depth in goal is going to get wiped out (one of Markstom/Lack will most likely be traded, and Eriksson could very well bolt back to Europe this summer)...and though we may have Edler, Hamhuis, Sbisa, Stanton, Pedan, Cederholm and McEneny signed or as pending RFAs who will most likely be qualified/re-signed (going to go out on a limb and say Peter Andersson will not return), the team is pretty thin on big-bodied LHD in the system next season. So getting O'Connor and Oksanen could help now and for the future.

Talent Analysis Sautner has been forced to play behind other, very talented defenders on the Oil Kings's roster, so he could be a bit of s sleeper. He moves the puck well for a player of decent size, and seems to have a good two-way game when given the opportunity to show it. Sautner could stand to work on his defensive game a bit more and for the most part doesn't have one area of his game that truly stands out. But a team willing to show some patience might be rewarded by choosing Sautner.

Talent AnalysisSautner has been forced to play behind other, very talented defenders on the Oil Kings's roster, so he could be a bit of s sleeper. He moves the puck well for a player of decent size, and seems to have a good two-way game when given the opportunity to show it. Sautner could stand to work on his defensive game a bit more and for the most part doesn't have one area of his game that truly stands out. But a team willing to show some patience might be rewarded by choosing Sautner.

This was already posted in the Sautner thread. This thread is for UFA not named Sautner. You don't need to post random info just to look smart.

Got anybody that all of CDC doesn't know about to share with us?

Not to sound like a dou*he but my appologies to the CDC police...i have to admit...i havent read all of the posts and threads here to know 100% who has been brought up and who hasnt. But since YOU seem to....feel free to fill me in eh. And for the record.....when i had posted those names in THIS thread....they hadnt been mentioned yet.....again....imma sorry massa....I'z triez to do betta ok boss?

Not to sound like a dou*he but my appologies to the CDC police...i have to admit...i havent read all of the posts and threads here to know 100% who has been brought up and who hasnt. But since YOU seem to....feel free to fill me in eh. And for the record.....when i had posted those names in THIS thread....they hadnt been mentioned yet.....again....imma sorry massa....I'z triez to do betta ok boss?

I don't have a lot of patience for CDCers who lack sentance structure and valid points. Seeing my posts, you'll find that out. It just takes an extra 5 minutes while posting to change from seemingly illiterate to educated and thought out.

Archived