The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Canuck's Stanley Cup just making the playoffs?

Pete M

It will not be easy to get in, they'll need to play better than they have in months and WD will need to do a better job of getting something out of all the lines.

That said, if they can get in it will just be fun to watch what these guys can do with absolutely no pressure on them for once.

Disagree

Making the playoffs is not their Stanley cup this year. I think its their 1st goal to make the playoffs and go from there but winning the cup is their ultimate goal. If you don't strive for the top then you wont get to the top.

Yes, but they need to be realistic. Of course they want to win the cup, but I doubt they really expect that. A reasonable goal for this year is to make the playoffs and get a bit of experience for younger players for future runs.

Yes, but they need to be realistic. Of course they want to win the cup, but I doubt they really expect that. A reasonable goal for this year is to make the playoffs and get a bit of experience for younger players for future runs.

Anybody who makes the playoffs thinks they have a chance at the cup. There's no such thing as playing your heart out and not expecting to win. That's just horsecrap.

Disagree

Making the playoffs is not their Stanley cup this year. I think its their 1st goal to make the playoffs and go from there but winning the cup is their ultimate goal. If you don't strive for the top then you wont get to the top.

isn't that the Question that the OP is asking?

We all know the cup SHOULD be the goal but the eway this team plays it seem more like what the OP says is closer to the truth

You have to set realistic goals before the season. Otherwise the season is failed if you don't win. That doesn't help team morale at all, espacially if they actually did perform well given the teams potential.

I'm not saying the it's imposible for the Canucks to win the cup but it's improbable.

After the awful showings against LA and San Jose, I just want to see us be involved in a real series. Haven't won a game on home ice since game 5 of SCF. Let's start there.

The team isn't as dominant as they were, but it should never just be good enough to make the playoffs only to be embarrassed for 4-5 games.

If all Benning & Co., have done is make the team as good as they were when they got swept by San Jose, I can't call that a successful season, regardless of what happened last year.

I disagree. East is much tougher. Habs, Bolts, Isles, Rangers, Pens, and Wings all have a shot at the cup this year.

All good teams, but, can you honestly say any series between any of those teams is going to be physically demanding? West playoffs are going to be hard battles with blood, sweat and tears, the East is going to be a skills competition. I would rather play 7 vs any of the East teams than play 7 against LA, Anaheim, Nashville, Winnipeg (if they make it), St. Louis, Chicago. The easiest teams to face in the West physically are the Flames and sadly, the Canucks.

Whoever comes out of the west is going to be battle tested and bruised.

Yes, I'd say that's a fair assumption. Making the playoffs with this group in this stage of their careers is like winning a cup for these guys

No no it's not, nothing is like winning the Cup except winning the Cup which is and should be the goal for this team anything less is just giving up.

As long as the Canucks make the playoffs, which is not guaranteed, my hope is that the players who have never experienced CUP play will get a good exposure. I don't think Lack has played a playoff game, Horvat, Kenins, Vey, Stanton, Clendening, Corrado ...

Canuck's management goal this year is making the playoffs...but once in, are they happy with just making the playoffs?

The players are hearing this from JB, WD, and TL...so when they do actually make the playoffs, then will the players mentally be satisfied?

I think you're being daft tbh.

You're implying that management has set the bar lower than what the goal ought to be.

Why didn't they think of setting the goal as the Stanley Cup? Will the team be satisfied having achieved this goal and mail it in in the playoffs because their subconscious expectations were met?

I don't think you've quite managed to one-up management here.

Every team sets a goal of making the playoffs.

It's a chronological thing as much as anything. That is the first step you need to achieve. Forget the rest if you don't manage that. And yes, the counterpoint to your question can be overlooking that goal, assuming you are going to competing for a Cup, and find yourself on the outside looking in..

It's akin to saying - 'we're not focusing on our game next week [against LA, Winnipeg or whatever] - we are focused on our game tonight against Toronto.' One step at a time.

Gee, if they beat Toronto, are they then satisfied?

These guys, with all due respect, are not that simple.

I think we have good chances to go a round as long as we don't face Los Angeles, Anaheim or Nashville.

I think we would have a good chance of working through any of the other teams in a best of 7.

Anaheim, I actually think we could push to 6 or 7 games as we match up better against them in playing style than most people think.

Right now, I think every playoff team in the west is terrified about the idea of Los Angeles squeaking into the playoffs again. They are a team that is built more for post season performance than regular season performance. I think over the course of a sustained 7 game series, there aren't many teams in the west who can handle and outlast them.

I just want to be in the playoffs! It's was dreadful last year without all that excitement and intensity.

There hasn't really been much of that in Vancouver since 2011 anyway. We've won 1 playoff game since then and that was when the series against LA was pretty much already decided.

Archived