The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Richardson

CaptainLinden16

Where have you been all my life? I was one of those idiots that said hey he is UFA lets flip him for a 2nd rd pick. I remember him playing really well before he got hurt. He came back and didn't skip a beat. I am sorry but I have watched Boner all year now, and it is obvious Richardson is a much better player. I am not even going to talk about what he brings to the table. It's that he got Mathias on track this year. He has chemistry with Kassian. It's no coincidence that Higgins scored playing with him. His number one asset is that he finds a way to complement the players around him wether it's line 2 or 4. Boner can't pass, has no vision and is skating in a pair of buckets. He needs to move to wing. If vey was better defensively, he would have Bonio's roster spot already.

I don't care that Bonio is young and on a small cap hit. Simply put he isn't as good. We should find a way to keep our better players.

Mathias-Richardson-Vrbata

We could actually win a face off once in 4 games. Vrbata the best shooter this team has seen since Naslund would actually have a player on his line that can pass. Higgins might be a better fit here than Mathias who is better off the rush and counter more a 3rd or 4th line thing.

Play Horvat with Mathias and Hansen. No energy bonino between Kenins and Dorsett.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Higgins-Richardson-Vrbata

Mathias-Horvat-Hansen

Kenins-Bonino/Vey-Dorsett

Vey played really well between Dorsett and Hansen earlier in the year. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the plug on boner if it doesn't work out after 2 games.

Burrows to me should only slot into the top 6. We need to keep as much speed as possible in the bottom 6. I love Bur, but this hasn't been his year. Yes Higgins besides scoring has been amazing. Him and Hansel. I said Higgins and Hansen have been amazing this year.

Oh yeah Weber haters. Lay off...I can write another diatribe as to why he is better than the rest of the 5-6 guys, but I will just let Willie pencil his name in in the team sheet again.

Sorry but I am a Weber detractor. He does have offensive upside but why he would continue to pinch on the ozone when there is less than 7 minutes left in the game escapes me. He does turn the puck a lot. He does play better with more TOI but his defensive weaknesses stand out for me. I thought Corrado was better in the d-zone.

I do think that either Burrows or Higgins will be gone by Draft day or by camp next fall. Burrows would bring something back as a playoff team would love what he brings. I am not sour on Burrows, still love the guy. The issue is age and the increasing frequency of injuries. His age does not fit the new Canuck timeline.

I agree with the Bonino comments. He looks like a player who has lost confidence. He does turn the puck. For his size he is not overly physical either. He has faded during the season and is not a 2C right now. He has played with some pretty solid players as well. It appears to be confidence so he might come back next year.

Where have you been all my life? I was one of those idiots that said hey he is UFA lets flip him for a 2nd rd pick. I remember him playing really well before he got hurt. He came back and didn't skip a beat. I am sorry but I have watched Boner all year now, and it is obvious Richardson is a much better player. I am not even going to talk about what he brings to the table. It's that he got Mathias on track this year. He has chemistry with Kassian. It's no coincidence that Higgins scored playing with him. His number one asset is that he finds a way to complement the players around him wether it's line 2 or 4. Boner can't pass, has no vision and is skating in a pair of buckets. He needs to move to wing. If vey was better defensively, he would have Bonio's roster spot already.

I don't care that Bonio is young and on a small cap hit. Simply put he isn't as good. We should find a way to keep our better players.

Mathias-Richardson-Vrbata

We could actually win a face off once in 4 games. Vrbata the best shooter this team has seen since Naslund would actually have a player on his line that can pass. Higgins might be a better fit here than Mathias who is better off the rush and counter more a 3rd or 4th line thing.

Play Horvat with Mathias and Hansen. No energy bonino between Kenins and Dorsett.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Higgins-Richardson-Vrbata

Mathias-Horvat-Hansen

Kenins-Bonino/Vey-Dorsett

Vey played really well between Dorsett and Hansen earlier in the year. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the plug on boner if it doesn't work out after 2 games.

Burrows to me should only slot into the top 6. We need to keep as much speed as possible in the bottom 6. I love Bur, but this hasn't been his year. Yes Higgins besides scoring has been amazing. Him and Hansel. I said Higgins and Hansen have been amazing this year.

Oh yeah Weber haters. Lay off...I can write another diatribe as to why he is better than the rest of the 5-6 guys, but I will just let Willie pencil his name in in the team sheet again.

Finally people are realizing what these guys bring to the team. I still remember when everyone was hoping Hansen would be traded, Im glad he wasn't. Guys like Richardson, Matthias, Kennins and Hansen add a different element to the Canucks in the context that they are pretty unpredictable + fast, compared to the Sedins (Very Predictable and Slow)

I agree.

Getting Richardson back was a breathe of fresh air. He has FAR more chemistry with all of our wingers than Bonino. They are different players all together, but I find that Richardson generally helps to create far more momentum for the team by getting in on the fore check with speed and being pesky to play against. Bonino has a tonne of shot blocks... which means that he spends a lot of time in his own zone, which also is evident on the ice as he's slow to lose pucks and poor in puck battles, where as Richardson is quick to lose pucks and can grind out the puck. They are almost even in ppg production this season.

Bonino has a better offensive pedigree he gets more shots on goal, but the biggest factor for me is that he lacks both speed and physicality/battle ability. Those are attributes that are needed to have success in this conference. The only exception is for those skilled players that produce high percentages of their teams offence, which Bonino does not. That is why players like Dorsett, Hansen, Horvat, Kenins,Higgins, Richardson, Matthias, and potentially Virtanen, Cassels, and McCann will be significant additions to the lineup moving forward. Bonino just doesnt really fit in with this team imo, and Id far rather have a battle ready 2 way center fill his spot, even if you have to give up some potential offence, which Bonino hasnt delivered in quite some time.

Starting the year with 7 goals and 19 points in 23 games, he was a huge part of the Canucks balanced attack that was getting so much attention. Since then hes managed just 11 points in 38 games. His shot toals mirror his offensive production over these periods as well with 8 of the first 23 games registering 3+ shots. He managed to do that in just 7 of his next 38 games. IF the early season Bonino can find his shooting and scoring touch again, and that was without Vrbata playing on his line, then he's worth keeping, but he's got to figure out how he can contribute when the scoring dries up.

It's great to have Richardson back and he brings a lot to the team.

He is no 2nd line centre though. He makes a very good 3/4 C.

While I agree with posters above who say that Bonino doesn't really fit with the team and his spotty offense is frustrating, he has the 2nd best fancy stats on the team for centres behind Hank. I think the strategy will be to have Bonino fill in while we wait for one of the young centres to mature (Horvat, Vey, McCann). Maybe JB can trade for a 24-26 year old legit top 6 centre (but that's just dreaming).

It's great to have Richardson back and he brings a lot to the team.

He is no 2nd line centre though. He makes a very good 3/4 C.

While I agree with posters above who say that Bonino doesn't really fit with the team and his spotty offense is frustrating, he has the 2nd best fancy stats on the team for centres behind Hank. I think the strategy will be to have Bonino fill in while we wait for one of the young centres to mature (Horvat, Vey, McCann). Maybe JB can trade for a 24-26 year old legit top 6 centre (but that's just dreaming).

Its one game. Richardson has been great for us as a role player. I love his compete and pk and many other things. But if you think Rich is a better 2c than Bones give your head a shake and personally I don't even like Bones at 2c.

I have the same general opinion. Richardson is good bottom 6 center. He is good on the PK, good in the face-off circle, can play shutdown, contributes to the physical game, and provides secondary scoring.

He is a big upgrade from Vey at 3C or 4C. With Richardson and Horvat as the bottom 6 centers those positions are solid.

But if Richardson has to play 2C then we are in trouble at the 2C position. I agree with the OP that Bonino is not really a legitimate 2C either. He is more like a good 3C.

But this is what we have been saying all year. The biggest hole among the forwards is that we do not really have a good 2C (and that goes hand in hand with having a poor 2nd unit PP).

But our D is now looking pretty good with guys getting healthy and Sbisa and Weber having improved their play quite a lot over the year.

And Lack is playing great in goal.

So I like our chances to make the playoffs.

Its one game. Richardson has been great for us as a role player. I love his compete and pk and many other things. But if you think Rich is a better 2c than Bones give your head a shake and personally I don't even like Bones at 2c.

sorry its not one game...

He was good last year, and he was great this year before he got hurt. Do you not remember that Mathias-Richardson-Kassian was the only good thing about this team last year.

he isn't a 2nd line center nor is anyone saying that, but as an organization you have to realize that Richardson and Bo are better than Bonino period. You have to put your better players in good positions to take advantage of their skills. Vrbata needs help. He needs someone who can skate and pass. Vey, Richardson and Horvat are all better options for that. I think Vey has just a good a shot as Bonino, and if he came with the pedigree of being Anahiem's 2nd line center last year then he would be playing over Bonino right now. I think he is a better player than Bonino already. I don't even think its close. He is faster, stick handles better, has good vision, works harder. I think his shot is just as good. The only detractor is his positioning in the defensive zone. They are both fairly soft.

If you really want to put an offense first option on the 2nd line then I say go Vey. If you want to put the 2nd best center on the team then its Richardson; but Bo is catching up fast who knows where his development will be in a week. I remember him going O-for in Utica and everyone thinking that he was going to be Denis Pederson or at best Dave Scatchard. Now he is Patrice Bergeron. Hahahaha...Prospects are funny that way no?

You know who he reminds me of more than anyone???

Rod Brind'Amour

If that is the case, then I am :rolleyes::lol::rolleyes:

I was thinking... "Oh great, Richardson has a good game and everyone is praises him... he will have a bad game soon and everyone will be saying he needs to be benched." However, I can't remember Richardson, this year or last, having a bad game. This is a guy who shows true grit day in and day out. He is always good defensively, always, even if he isn't have the best offensive game, and is extremely dependable, making him a great PK player. Richardson brings true value to our team. I really like the consistency of this guy day in and day out. Not too many nucks have this attribute of consistency, not even the sedins, edler, bieksa, hamhuis.

I was pumping Brad's tires as well. Great bottom 6 centre. Was on pace for 40 points before going down.

Not sure I think he's a better 2c than Bones, but I like the pro-Richardson chatter. If anything, Richies return frees up Bonino to crank out some more offense.

It's too bad you had to go the route of picking a pet and a whipping boy to play him off of.

Otherwise, yeah, Richardson is a hell of a versatile depth center - perhaps the team's best player last season.

But the whole this Canuck vs that Canuck thing is overkilled on these boards. Pretty much lost interest a few lines in when you resorted to that.

I think Horvat will take 2C next season.

I would hate that. It puts too much responsibility on him too early.

Bonino was great until he got his injury. Since coming back he has struggled but he has the knack of doing unbelievable sweet moves and he's not soft.

He seems to be coming back, maybe now that we are getting all our injured players back will help him regain his first half season form.

we don't have anyone that's a 2C tbh, other than potentially Bo.

on a side note, since we need to start making room for our rookies, I would rather trade Bones and Vey at the draft rather than Higgy and Ritchie.

ya give up on young players for veterans

guess what Vey is a rookie

Archived