The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

players post game and travel question

Hey, so I'm going to the flyers Canucks game on Tuesday, and I'm super excited, I've never gotten to watch the flyers live so I can finally cross this one of my bucket list. It's also the Pat Quinn night, so it should be a great night.

My question is do any of you know what the travel schedule is like for NHL teams (the flyers in particular) I looked at their schedule and their next game is on Thursday in Calgary, do you think they'll leave Tuesday night or Wednesday? What are the odds I run into a couple of the flyers after the game, meet and maybe get a picture?

As I understand it teams, usually get to their next location asap. Mainly to keep the travel as far away from the actual game play as possible,

As far as meeting the flyers, provided they aren't leaving right after the game, go to the roxy, they will be there for sure

About 7 years ago I used to work part time casual unloading the the charter planes for all the NHL teams when they came through CAlgary. With the eastern teams who played here, they almost always were either just coming from, or just going to either Vancouver or Edmonton after stopping here(Calgary). If they played a game here on say a Tuesday or Friday night, then played in Edmonton or Vancouver on the following night, a Wednesday or Saturday respectivly, they would leave right after the game, and I mean right after it. I would watch the game in the office, then literally 45 mins post game I'd be loading up all the equipment and bags.

If the next game was not the next day it was about 50/50, some would stay the extra night in Calgary and some would leave just to get the travel part done. Its only an hour to Vancouver and 20 minutes to Edmonton so travel between these trio of cities isnt bad at all. SJ for example was always keen to get out of here and get onto their next destination(They also tipped the best lol, they alwys gave me $200 or $300 for loading). The eastern teams generally liked to stay the night and leave in the morning the next day if they werent playing back to back.

Hope that helps. Oh, and I think I could take Burrows in a fight, I stood in front of him after one game and I was a solid 2 inches taller and probably 20 lbs, but Shea Weber is an absolute behomoth, I wouldnt fight him.

Also, we were in charge of supplying the liqour and beer to the aircraft, for the one hour flight to Vancouver, on average, most teams would spend $1500 on liqour/beer, with SJ being the highest consumer of alcohol as well haha.

^^^ All joking aside though, Burrows is one of the nicest guys Ive met, only a handful of players have actually come up and talked with me while I was loading, Burrows and Bieksa from Vancouver, Craig Conroy from Calgary was always super friendly, cant say a bad thing about him. Crosby practically had body guards because everytime he came into town there were literally 4-500ppl waiting outside the gates where the bus left. Weber is also one who talked to me, which is why I said I wouldnt fight him lol. As much as I dislike Burrows as a player, he is a fantastic guy, totally down to earth to talk to. I was joking with him after one game when the Nucks beat the Flames and I told him I was a little upset cause that was gonna hurt the Flames playoff push, I think that was in 2010. He just laughed and shook my hand.

Also, we were in charge of supplying the liqour and beer to the aircraft, for the one hour flight to Vancouver, on average, most teams would spend $1500 on liqour/beer, with SJ being the highest consumer of alcohol as well haha.

Yeah, those Bellinis and Cosmos can really add up...

About 7 years ago I used to work part time casual unloading the the charter planes for all the NHL teams when they came through CAlgary. With the eastern teams who played here, they almost always were either just coming from, or just going to either Vancouver or Edmonton after stopping here(Calgary). If they played a game here on say a Tuesday or Friday night, then played in Edmonton or Vancouver on the following night, a Wednesday or Saturday respectivly, they would leave right after the game, and I mean right after it. I would watch the game in the office, then literally 45 mins post game I'd be loading up all the equipment and bags.

If the next game was not the next day it was about 50/50, some would stay the extra night in Calgary and some would leave just to get the travel part done. Its only an hour to Vancouver and 20 minutes to Edmonton so travel between these trio of cities isnt bad at all. SJ for example was always keen to get out of here and get onto their next destination(They also tipped the best lol, they alwys gave me $200 or $300 for loading). The eastern teams generally liked to stay the night and leave in the morning the next day if they werent playing back to back.

Hope that helps. Oh, and I think I could take Burrows in a fight, I stood in front of him after one game and I was a solid 2 inches taller and probably 20 lbs, but Shea Weber is an absolute behomoth, I wouldnt fight him.

I wouldn't wanna piss shea weber off or step in front of one of his bombs,I heard that he turns into a werewolf when he gets mad

Archived