The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[2015 NHL Draft] - Deven Sideroff

http://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/canucks-gm-benning-blazers-head-coach-hay-had-differing-opinions-on-sideroff/

Kamloops Blazers’ head coach Don Hay might not have liked Deven Sideroff’s game last night, but the same cannot be said for Vancouver Canucks’ general manager Jim Benning.

“I don’t mind that Sideroff,” Benning told KTW after the second intermission of the Blazers’ tilt against the Prince George Cougars at Interior Savings Centre on Wednesday, March 11.

“He’s a hard-working kid and it seems like he’s having a pretty good year. I’ve got my eye on him.”

Kamloops downed Prince George 7-4.

After the game, Hay did not have many nice things to say about his 17-year-old forward.

He told Radio NL the Summerland product was tentative and did not use his speed to drive to the net, both reasons why he was yanked off the first line.

Sideroff, who has 16 goals and 40 points in 59 games this season, returned to WHL action last night after missing four games due to an upper-body injury.

Where's he slated to go?

Differs for everyone, but I have Sideroff going in the fourth round.

I'm also interested in what Benning had to say about Harkins in the article.

I've been interacting with Craig Button over Social Media about Harkins lately and he puts Harkins in between Kyle Connor and Colin White in terms of two-way play. Huge praise, considering I'm a big Colin White supporter.

He's going to be a strong offensive producer, not elite-level, but a solid center on any line. Most likely top-6 if he continues to develop the intensity of his game.

Differs for everyone, but I have Sideroff going in the fourth round.

I'm also interested in what Benning had to say about Harkins in the article.

I've been interacting with Craig Button over Social Media about Harkins lately and he puts Harkins in between Kyle Connor and Colin White in terms of two-way play. Huge praise, considering I'm a big Colin White supporter.

He's going to be a strong offensive producer, not elite-level, but a solid center on any line. Most likely top-6 if he continues to develop the intensity of his game.

We should snag him in the 4th, then.

And that's cool. We don't need another center, but that's cool

We should snag him in the 4th, then.

And that's cool. We don't need another center, but that's cool

You can never have too many centers.

Centers can be converted to the wing, without much change in playstyle or mindset, as playing center just makes one more responsible in all three zones.

Wingers can't always be converted to center, however. It's a difficult process that requires a certain professionalism in the faceoff dot as well as the leadership traits and skill to direct the play.

It'd be better to pick up a center and convert him to a wing than try to do that and pick a winger.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived