The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stanley Cup or Connor McDavid

I don't think any of us are

We all are. You just don't see it.

Every two years all of cells in our body are replaced. Its the small genetic errors in the human genome that become magnified after so many years of multiplying.

In reality though we are far from having the same cells we had when we were born. At any given point we are no older than two years old scientifically.

Connor Mcdavid is good, but people can't forget how long it took Crosby to get into a elite status. My biggest concern with Mcdavid is who will mentor him? With Crosby it was Mario Lemuix, who helped and took him under his wing. So who is going to mentor Mcdavid? Kessel, Hall, Mac T, Tyler Ennis, Brian Gointa, Phanuef? This is why I want him to go to Pheniox because a guy like Doan can really mentor a talent like Mcdavid.

Well minority, I hope you and Connor have fun hanging out. We be eating captain crunch out of the cup, later.

If you ever watch the movie Boiler Room (cult classic) there's a saying in that movie:

"______ rich"

It's all about instant gratification for too many people. Saying would you rather have a cup now, and potentially never win another for a very long time (Carolina Hurricanes) or draft McDavid and potentially win multiple cups over a period of time (Penguins).

I also see you completely ignored my comment regarding things not happening or existing in a vacuum. There is far more certainty in having McDavid on your team than not having him on your team, in the context of probabilities on winning a cup.

Just as everyone is measuring the merits of McDavid over the absolute outcome of winning a cup, the same measurement must be applied on the probability on winning the cup. Who do you beat? Do players go cold, or hot? Do you hit injuries? Does the other team get hot or cold, do they get injuries? Is the officiating unbiased and perfect?

Those same things exist whether you have McDavid or not, if you do have McDavid, than I can't see any other possibility than your chances at coming out on top as better.

Connor Mcdavid is good, but people can't forget how long it took Crosby to get into a elite status. My biggest concern with Mcdavid is who will mentor him? With Crosby it was Mario Lemuix, who helped and took him under his wing. So who is going to mentor Mcdavid? Kessel, Hall, Mac T, Tyler Ennis, Brian Gointa, Phanuef? This is why I want him to go to Pheniox because a guy like Doan can really mentor a talent like Mcdavid.

The word idiot (you) surfaces to mind when considering these words.

Crosby scored 102 points in 82 games in 05-06... as a ROOKIE. He followed up with his sophomore season putting up 120 points in 79 games.

In fact Crosby has been greater than a PPG player his entire career to date. So if we're talking about a player who is potentially of the same mold as Crosby, a lot of people are underestimating what that does for a franchise.

Ether could be fun.

For me the regular season is tedious and boring with the exception of a few match ups. I usually don't go out of my way to watch until the playoffs come around. A player like McDavid assuming he lives to the hype would catch my regular interest more. The ride would be more fun.

However your living city winning a sports championship is really fun. Going into the city and being part of the city wide party is once in a lifetime type stuff and utterly fun. When the Phillies won the World Series (I live in Philly) I was 18 and got to celebrate it at this art school campus near center city and it was 10000x more fun than watching a generational player on a TV or from the stands.

Of course you could still get a cup or multiple with McDavid but who knows. Give me the sure thing I loved that kind of environment (before people started flipping cars and the riot police marched in of course)

I have to be the voice of the minority on this one.

Saying things like even Gretzky alone couldn't win a cup, while true is an unfair comparison. It's an apples and oranges comparison.

In today's day and age, a single player does not make a team, however it's less about having a dominant team and more about playing the averages over time.

Getting a playing like Tavares, Crosby, Staal, Nash, McDavid... while will not single handedly win you a cup, it can significantly bump your chances of winning one or multiple cups over the span of a decade provided that the rest of the team in any given year is managed well enough to provide a great supporting cast around the all star player.

To answer the question: McDavid, every time.

We do not live in, nor does the NHL operate in a vacuum, so to come up with such an arbitrary comparison is unfair.

So to answer the question, McDavid

I reiterate with

Yakupov, Hall, Nugent Hopkins, Draisatl.

These guys have done nothing. Trust me I believe the Oilers would trade any one or even two of those kids for a cup. MacDavid is an idea, a dream and a potential bust who might Daigle as soon as Crosby in this league. A cup, that is a banner that hangs in your building forever

And what would you prefer? A new BMW or a new skateboard?

Well let's see. I don't think it really matters what i roll my cup in front of my hometown crowd on.

If you ever watch the movie Boiler Room (cult classic) there's a saying in that movie:

"______ rich"

It's all about instant gratification for too many people. Saying would you rather have a cup now, and potentially never win another for a very long time (Carolina Hurricanes) or draft McDavid and potentially win multiple cups over a period of time (Penguins).

I also see you completely ignored my comment regarding things not happening or existing in a vacuum. There is far more certainty in having McDavid on your team than not having him on your team, in the context of probabilities on winning a cup.

Just as everyone is measuring the merits of McDavid over the absolute outcome of winning a cup, the same measurement must be applied on the probability on winning the cup. Who do you beat? Do players go cold, or hot? Do you hit injuries? Does the other team get hot or cold, do they get injuries? Is the officiating unbiased and perfect?

Those same things exist whether you have McDavid or not, if you do have McDavid, than I can't see any other possibility than your chances at coming out on top as better.

The OP's choices were absolutes- a guaranteed cup this year or Mcdavid next year. My choice is the guaranteed cup, and I would take that over Mcdavid and a 20 year old Gretzky next year. I don't know where your talk of probabilities fits in to that argument at all.

I reiterate with

Yakupov, Hall, Nugent Hopkins, Draisatl.

These guys have done nothing. Trust me I believe the Oilers would trade any one or even two of those kids for a cup. MacDavid is an idea, a dream and a potential bust who might Daigle as soon as Crosby in this league. A cup, that is a banner that hangs in your building forever

Well let's see. I don't think it really matters what i roll my cup in front of my hometown crowd on.

That's fine if you're talking about the Oilers. However, I presume the context of this thread is such that either the Canucks win a cup, or the Canucks have McDavid next year.

Given who we have on the team right now? I would choose McDavid. If we're living in fantasy land then sure, I want a cup every year, but that's foolish, immature and frankly ridiculous. Taking into account who we'd need to walk through to get that cup, vs who knows who we'd need to walk through next year (with the addition of McDavid, possibly Virtanen, Baertschi et al), and with the Sedins, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Miller acting as mentors, absolutely I'd choose McDavid over a single cup this year.

The OP's choices were absolutes- a guaranteed cup this year or Mcdavid next year. My choice is the guaranteed cup, and I would take that over Mcdavid and a 20 year old Gretzky next year. I don't know where your talk of probabilities fits in to that argument at all.

A conversation about absolute outcomes in a vacuum that doesn't exist is an exercise in delusion. There is absolutely no basis for any kind of rational argument with that as your context, so how it fits into the argument is to ground it by framing it in the reality in which we exist.

Otherwise, this thread has no business existing.

A conversation about absolute outcomes in a vacuum that doesn't exist is an exercise in delusion. There is absolutely no basis for any kind of rational argument with that as your context, so how it fits into the argument is to ground it by framing it in the reality in which we exist.

Otherwise, this thread has no business existing.

This is true, but the possibility actually exists for us to win the Stanley cup this year as we are in a playoff spot (however low the chance is). That also means that as things stand today we have zero percent chance of drafting Connor Mcdavid. So I think my choice is further grounded in reality than yours is.

Depends on the team. For a team like Arizona, Connor McDavid is exactly the jolt that organization needs in order to increase the fan base. So, for a team like the Yotes, McDavid IS the Stanley Cup.

However, for a team that sells out consistently and is competitive on a regular basis, than a Cup is the more logical choice.

Actually, you know what? If you're an owner, McDavid everyday of the week. The amount of merchandise and ticket revenue that you can get from that guy is astronomical.

Archived