The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stanley Cup or Connor McDavid

Guest Dasein

How is that even a question

Stanley Cup every single time

Even Sidney Crosby, widely considered as the best player of this era when drafted, has only one so far..

I would take a guaranteed Stanley Cup now over a chance to get one with McDavid anyday

This is true, but the possibility actually exists for us to win the Stanley cup this year as we are in a playoff spot (however low the chance is). That also means that as things stand today we have zero percent chance of drafting Connor Mcdavid. So I think my choice is further grounded in reality than yours is.

i hate to go into the semantics on this one, but technically what you're saying is, your initial criticism of me was rooted in hypocrisy seeing as you've now turned the leaf and are predicating your revised argument based on probability.

Playing devil's advocate, there does exist the possibility, however remote it may be, that the Canucks could find their way to trading into the #1 overall spot.

Suffice it to say, the argument for both outcomes each lie at opposite ends of the spectrum, with reality falling somewhere in the middle of the two, further proving that this has been nothing more than an exercise in delusion, and fantasy.

It has however served to break up an otherwise dull work day :)

Or it's just a simple question to get a discussion going. I'm 27. Not really a kid. Not mad bro, but go away

I won't be going anywhere - that's not how discussion boards work - you started a thread, which doesn't give you the authority to decide who posts in it.

Not mad, just oversensitive eh. Btw - you answered your question with Cup - so you're not really in the tank/youth culture crew, are you?

That was actually the gentle / polite answer - to what imo is a no brainer.

A Cup or a lottery pick may get discussion going, but not all of it will be to your liking. It's not like you're being flamed here, but it isn't that good a question. Your answer was better than the question.

i hate to go into the semantics on this one, but technically what you're saying is, your initial criticism of me was rooted in hypocrisy seeing as you've now turned the leaf and are predicating your revised argument based on probability.

Playing devil's advocate, there does exist the possibility, however remote it may be, that the Canucks could find their way to trading into the #1 overall spot.

Suffice it to say, the argument for both outcomes each lie at opposite ends of the spectrum, with reality falling somewhere in the middle of the two, further proving that this has been nothing more than an exercise in delusion, and fantasy.

It has however served to break up an otherwise dull work day :)

It actually has broken up a dull work day for me as well. And no, my initial criticism of you was not rooted in hypocrisy. Firstly, it's not a criticism, I just don't agree with your choice. Secondly, I didn't move the goalposts from the absolutes "in the vaccuum that doesn't exist" that the OP framed his original question in to a reality based in probablilities. You did ;)

Win the Cup, and then trade for McDavid if he is worth it.

Trade whatever you need to whoever ends up with the 1st pick.

Players with Cup rings have more value in trades, so we will have more valuable assets to trade after winning the Cup.

We have good prospects and picks; you could pry him loose if he was really worth it.

So, of course, I would take the Cup. (And every year thereafter.)

Considering that the whole point of playing the games, drafting players, etc... is to win a cup, I obviously vote cup.

Drafting players, building a winning franchise, tanking, buying free agents, trading players, trading picks.....The desired endgame is always the same. Winning a cup.

Archived