The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Would you or Wouldn't you Pens and Buf/Edm

REALLY simply put

Buffalo and Edmonton have the best chance at Eichel/AcDavid.

But keep in mind that these guys are young kids who have NEVER played against men in the NHL.

These guys are ideas, hopes and dreams that could bust as soon as they could turn into the potential generational stars so many are hyping them up to be.

So REALLY simple.

Would you or wouldn't you from the perspective of either end. Being the Pens GM or Buffalo/Edmonton GM make a trade consisting of

Crosby or Malkin for the 1st or 2nd overall pick in this years draft.

Crosby and Malkin are franchise defining stars in the league with multiple accolades awards and a cup to their name and are both still very young and very in their prime.

MacDavid/Eichel are both just picks that people are hoping will translate in to something like the hype that surrounds them

So. From either perspective, would you or wouldn't you?

(should be an interesting read alter)

REALLY simply put

Buffalo and Edmonton have the best chance at Eichel/AcDavid.

But keep in mind that these guys are young kids who have NEVER played against men in the NHL.

No, really?

Keep in mind Crosby and Ovechkin were young kids who had NEVER played against men in the NHL.

The 1st 2 picks are not going to be moved. Slightest chance the 2nd pick could be moved but McDavid will absolutely not be traded.

If I had the 1st pick I wouldn't move it for either.

If I had the 2nd pick I would consider it.

If I was Pittsburgh, I would be open to trading Malkin, but not at all Crosby.

No, really?

Keep in mind Crosby and Ovechkin were young kids who had NEVER played against men in the NHL.

The 1st 2 picks are not going to be moved. Slightest chance the 2nd pick could be moved but McDavid will absolutely not be traded.

My thoughts exactly

No, really?

So. If you're Rutherford or MacT/Murray

Would you make a deal involving those players/pick?

My thoughts exactly

I would say for Edmonton it's a hard HELL YES. They need to start perform yesterday as there core star guys won't be sticking around past there current contracts if they don't start getting some success. Either of those players will get them to the playoffs.

I would say for Edmonton it's a hard HELL YES. They need to start perform yesterday as there core star guys won't be sticking around past there current contracts if they don't start getting some success. Either of those players will get them to the playoffs.

Malkin or Crosby is that immediate 1st line center.

Eichel/MacDavid are hopefuls.

There's even the chance poor edmonton finishes second and some team in the back wins the lottery thus ensuring Edm doesn't get either wunderkid

Malkin or Crosby is that immediate 1st line center.

Eichel/MacDavid are hopefuls.

There's even the chance poor edmonton finishes second and some team in the back wins the lottery thus ensuring Edm doesn't get either wunderkid

that's my point. Malkin or Crosby will most likely get them in the playoff race

I think mcdavid is untouchable, especially for a canadian franchise. Eichel is likely going to be a pretty dam great player too, but yes I'd be willing to trade the second overall for malkin...probably. How much more can you ask for than malkin? He's the proven commodity too. When sid went down a couple years ago Gino absolutely took over. He's one of the best in the world and he's still young too.

Maybe Malkin for Eichel.

Only way i see it happening is if Edmonton ends up with 2nd overall. Edmonton may do it to get that BIG veteran heal and pitts would do it to get another potential star and free up cap space to push for a cup.

Mcdavid is untouchable unless its for crosby. But there is too much hype for Mcdavid to trade him for an aging crosby. As well as Crosby is too good for Pits to trade him in hopes of McDavid becoming the franchise player he is hyped up to be.

So imho its malkin for eichel, if not i cannot see any deal there

I think mcdavid is untouchable, especially for a canadian franchise. Eichel is likely going to be a pretty dam great player too, but yes I'd be willing to trade the second overall for malkin...probably. How much more can you ask for than malkin? He's the proven commodity too. When sid went down a couple years ago Gino absolutely took over. He's one of the best in the world and he's still young too.

So you would not make that deal from either perspective?

One of the main reasons I asked this question was simply to see how people would actually gauge the value of a simple pick for a shot at a prospect who has never played in the league against men.

Weighed against 2 of the top players in the entire league who have endless amounts of accolades and experience in a winning culture.

Would anyone have traded Sakic for the Daigle pick? Yzerman for that pick or anything comparable?

Again I have always questioned exactly why there is such a high emphasis on a single pick vs a young super star talent.

Adding a huge cap hit vs having a young, marketable star(cost controlled/ELC) is a big deterrent.

If McDavid were ever dangled, you'd have to imagine the Lindros package would be a comparable.

It's interesting that the Nords traded away their 3 consecutive 1st overalls(1990~1992), yet they wound up with the two Cups. I'd argue that trading a top pick for the right combo of assets often makes a lot of sense.

NO! I doubt any GM would trade for two picks that should be as good as either malkin or Crosby,but saying that if the Pens traded either of them they would want more then one pick that possibly won't turn into an NHL player,they would need 4 to 5 first round picks!

So you would not make that deal from either perspective?

Trade away the first? No. But if I'm picking second I'd at least take a long hard look at trading for Gino, which ultimately is a worthwhile trade IMO. If I'm Rutherford tho it also depends on what options I have to fill the whole at 2C, unless eichel is ready for if. Who knows, there's been rookies in decent years who have put up some gaudy numbers like mackinnon and of course sid. There's also Vermette available in free agency among others so there are viable options.

I would actually move the 1st overall pick for the right price. Could really build a deep team that has lots of talent not just 1 player. But for crosby or malkin than no

Now when you say no you mean it isn't worth it for the Pens or for Buffalo or Edmonton (Whoever ends up 1st overall) to trade the first

I would actually move the 1st overall pick for the right price. Could really build a deep team that has lots of talent not just 1 player. But for crosby or malkin than no

Yeah there's packages that could make me pull the trigger. I saw in another thread somebody proposed Drouin, Hedman, Vasilevsky, and TBL's first in this draft for the first overall pick. I would trade the pick for that package but I also don't think we're likely to see offers that good. Even for mcdavid that's an overpayment IMO.

Archived