The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Philadelphia Flyers @ Vancouver Canucks | March 17, 2015 | SNP | 7;00 PM PST

Dogbyte

canucks%20vs%20flyers.jpg

The skinny: The Canucks are in second place in the Pacific Division heading into Tuesday nights tilt with the Flyers. We currently sit 1 point up on the Flames with a game in hand while we are up 3 on the Kings they play Arizona on Monday night in LA. The Flyers are 9 points back and are basically done, so hopefully they are coasting at this point.

UPDATE: Andy Andreoff scored his first goal in the NHL in his fifteenth game to lead the Kings over the Coyotes 1-0. With the win LA pulls within 1 just like Calgary but they occupy the last wild card spot. We have a game in hand on both.

UPDATE: Kassian out, something happened at the morning skate

NHL%20Standings%20March%2017%202015.png

Pat Quinn Night

pat%20quinn%20patch.jpgpat%20quinn.jpgpat%20quinn%20patch.jpg

The Vancouver Canucks are practicing today at Rogers Arenas in their vintage jerseys to prepare for Pat Quinn night on Tuesday—and their meeting with the Philadelphia Flyers.

It's not clear at this point if the Millionaires unis will be on display tomorrow for Pat Quinn night, or if they're looking forward to March 26—the 100th anniversary of the Millionaires' Stanley Cup win. We do know this much:

Jeff Paterson @patersonjeff

Linden said #Canucks looked at flying skate for Pat Quinn night, but couldn't make it happen. But hinted may see it in near future

Jeff Paterson @patersonjeff

Pat Quinn night tomorrow. But really Pat Quinn week when you think #Canucks have faced LAK, TOR and PHI at home & in that order

Quinn, of course, had management roles in all those teams. The only one missing was the Edmonton Oilers, where he finished up his NHL career as head coach in 2009-10.

The festivities tomorrow night will begin with the St. Patrick's Day Party on the Plaza at 5:30 p.m., then the unveiling of the new Pat Quinn Way will take place outside Rogers Arena at 6:00.

If you're attending the game, you're encouraged to be in your seat by 6:45 to take in the pre-game ceremony. Stories about Quinn will also be shared by former players and colleagues throughout the night.

It should make for an emotional evening.

Roster Notes

Here are your personnel notes from Monday's practice:

Ben Kuzma @benkuzma

Burrows (groin) good to go Tuesday. #Canucks

Ben Kuzma @benkuzma

#Canucks have recalled Markstrom from AHL, re-assigned Eriksson. Markstrom had a shutout last week for #Comets, may start Sunday in Arizona.

After his career-high three-point night against Toronto, Derek Dorsett is absent from practice. No word yet on his status for Tuesday's game.

Story of Interest

I usually like to include something unique about the other team when I do a GDT, and I've added Canuck stuff in the past as well but most is well known. My very good friend is a lifetime Flyer fan and of course you always bug your friends about their team. I'm not sure but somehow the term "Flappy Flyers", was born and it got me thinking about where the heck they got their name so here it is. Good Read.

Flyers History: How the team was named

The following story is from the book Full Spectrum, written by Jay Greenberg...

On July 12, 1966 one of the Philadelphia hockey franchise owners (Bill) Putnam announced a contest to give the team a name. Naturally there had been no shortage of ideas. “Quakers” and “Ramblers” were two traditional suggestions, but (Ed) Snider saw that the Philadelphia Quakers, that sorry NHL entry of 1930-31, remained in the league record book with a half-share of the mark for the fewest victories in a season. He and Putnam wanted a fresh identification. They also feared that the name Ramblers could conjure old images of the seedy minor-league team and the Arena. People had to be made to understand that this was a new, major-league, team playing in a modern, comfortable building.

In early correspondence, Putnam had proposed the names Lancers, Raiders, Royals, Knights and Sabres. Liberty Bells also held some intrigue, but there was already a harness track in Philadelphia by that name and besides, “Liberty Bells” would not connote action or strength, only history. Huskies, Blizzards, and Icecaps, Bashers, Bruisers, and Keystones were all suggested.

But Putnam and Snider don’t remember anything grabbing them until one night on the New jersey Turnpike when Snider, his wife, his sister Phyllis and her husband Earl Foreman, and the Putnam’s stopped at a Howard Johnson’s, ordered from the list of twenty-eight flavors, and kicked around some similar number of names.

On their way home after seeing a Broadway show, they were looking for a stopper name for their hockey team. “I was thinking of people skating and sliding around the ice,” Phyllis recalls, “and the ‘Flyers’ just popped into my head. Everybody thought it was great.”

The “Philadelphia Flyers” had alliterative pizzazz, conveyed motion and excitement, and was short enough to fit into newspaper headlines. Snider told Phyllis, “That’s the name, but you can’t win the contest.” Flyers, it would be.

The contest ran for ten days in July. More than 11,000 entries were submitted, including Ice picks, Acmes, Philly-Billies, Greenbacks, Scars, and Strips and Croaking Crickets. Liberty Bell and Quakers got the most votes, but Flyers, of course, got the only votes that counted. On August 3, the team announced its new name at an outdoor conference at the arena construction site.

Alec Stockard, a 9-year-old boy from Narberth, one of the untold numbers of entrants who had submitted the name “Flyers,” won the television in a drawing conducted by Putnam. However, Stockard had spelled it “Fliers.” None of the teams founders recall why the second dictionary spelling of the word-with a “y” instead of an “i”-was chosen.

Starting Line-ups

canucks%20skate%20logo.jpg

Sedin Sedin Burrows**

Mattias Bonino Vrbata

Higgins Richardson Dorsett

Kenins Horvat Hansen

**Kassian Vey

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Weber

Sbisa Bieksa

Stanton Corrado Clendenning Quinn

Lack

Markstrom

** any line up advice would be appeciated **

Kassian out Kenins in game day injury

flyers%20knit%20logo.jpg

Schenn Giroux Voracek

Couturier Simmonds Cousins

Lecavalier Vandevelde Pierre-Edouard Bellemare

Raffl White Rinaldo

Grossman MacDonald

Streit Schultz

Schenn Colaiacovo

Mason

Emery

Update: Read out for tonight's game Cousins takes his place.

FUN & GAMES

Disclaimer: Hey all, I thought I would try something a little different. I couldn't get the GDT for sure until after the Leafs game so I didn't put as much time into is as I could have. For such a seemingly simple project you wouldn't believe how much time it took. Unfortunately I had some better plans for the board but this is all I could put together in the time frame. I couldn't make the numbers smaller and realize now that it may be hard for you guys to fill out. Oh well hope you somewhat enjoy it. I added a board without numbers below.

I made it all up myself and tried to fact check etc., so feel free to correct me where I am wrong.

CANUCKS VS FLYERS

Canucks%20Flyers%20Crossword_1.png

Crossword%20Across%20Clues_1.png

Crossword%20Down%20Clues_3.png

Board without Numbers

Canucks%20Flyers%20Crossword%20Blank.png

Answers

Canucks%20Flyers%20Crossword%20Answers.p

Please join me on Tuesday in raising a glass to a legend

The one and only

beer%20cheers_1.jpg

MR. PAT QUINN

happy%20st%20patricks%20day.jpg

go%20canucks%20go.jpg

I think the Canucks may be in for a rude awakening in this game. Philly has a dominant 1st line that can put a lot of pucks in the net. If the Canucks come out slow and not ready to play, it could be a long night.

I think the Canucks may be in for a rude awakening in this game. Philly has a dominant 1st line that can put a lot of pucks in the net. If the Canucks come out slow and not ready to play, it could be a long night.

Horvat will shut em down!

Archived