The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Qualifying Offers and Free Agents Summer 2015

VegasCanuck

Players Needing Qualifying Offers  

1,121 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, Benning has a lot of decisions to make between now and July 1st, in terms of who gets signed, who gets Qualifying Offers, which UFA's get signed and who we generally keep.

For RFA's, I've left off some that I think there's no question about us qualifying them although I think there's some that we may try and trade.

I haven't included anything on here about players that we try and move either at the draft or through the summer to bring in more youth as I think this is enough to talk about for now.

I also haven't put anything on here about who we should draft as that's an active discussion in other threads.

We have some kids that could turn pro and if we choose to sign them, it means we need to let someone go to make room for the new contract.

Play GM and try and shape both Vancouver and Utica for next season!

Keep in mind, signing someone like Subban now, its likely his contract would kick in for July 1st, thus replacing either someone we don't qualify or a UFA we choose to let go.

Since votes are public, guys I didn't pick for qualifying offers:

McMillan - I think he's redundant and that we have others who could fill the role if needed

Weber - He's not as bad as some people seem to think, he has a great shot from the point, but I'd rather see Corrado or another guy given the chance to move up.

Eriksson - I think will probably head back to Europe if he can't find another team that's interested in him here. Will give Cannata a chance to move up into a more prominent role in Utica next year.

Tommernes - Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he was already released, likely just a matter of not extending QO and he's officially gone.

Defazio - I think he's replaceable, but wouldn't be disappointed to see him back.

Guys I'd let walk as UFA:

Sestito - Already gone

Biega - He's not bad, but I think he's replaceable. If we have contract space to do it, wouldn't mind seeing him back or just signing with Utica so he's not on our contract cap.

Acton - I think he's as good as he's going to get. Okay as a resign by Utica so he's not on our contract cap unless we have others who can take his spot

O'Reilly - As above

Prospects I wouldn't sign yet:

Pettit, Liberati, Williamson, Beattie, Stewart - I believe are all still eligible for one more year, and I think they would all benefit from another year where they are before making a 3 year commitment to them. Of that group, Liberati has turned in a pretty strong year!

Mattias is having a good year. He will reach 20 goals which will command around 3.25 - 3.75 on the open market if not more. I sure hope the Canucks resign him as he has been a force this season and I truly like this guy. Heck of a player. However, when push comes to shove, he has to do what's best for himself and his future and if he chooses to test free agency I don't blame him. I can see him wanting to go this route. Richardson, as good as he has been, is a tough call. Horvat is a shoe in to be the 3rd line center next season. Another tough call. Other than that I'm not too worried about the off season. I'm excited to see the future core evolve in the system and make a push for spots next season

Although he's not quite in the Canucks system, I'd throw Curtis Valk onto the poll somewhere. I feel like he played his way to a two year entry deal this past season (despite the season ending injury).

Personally, I'd see if he can play his way onto Utica next season first. I think he's got potential, its a nice advantage that we can actually sign players like him through Utica and not have them impact our own contract cap and see if we can develop another Burrows. (No, I'm not comparing Valk to Burrows)

So, Benning has a lot of decisions to make between now and July 1st, in terms of who gets signed, who gets Qualifying Offers, which UFA's get signed and who we generally keep.

For RFA's, I've left off some that I think there's no question about us qualifying them although I think there's some that we may try and trade.

I haven't included anything on here about players that we try and move either at the draft or through the summer to bring in more youth as I think this is enough to talk about for now.

I also haven't put anything on here about who we should draft as that's an active discussion in other threads.

We have some kids that could turn pro and if we choose to sign them, it means we need to let someone go to make room for the new contract.

Play GM and try and shape both Vancouver and Utica for next season!

Keep in mind, signing someone like Subban now, its likely his contract would kick in for July 1st, thus replacing either someone we don't qualify or a UFA we choose to let go.

Thanks for doing the work to put these lists together. Most guys will get qualifying offers because the cost of qualifying players is low. There is the issue of the Canucks being allowed a maximum of 50 players under contract, but guys can be released later.

You did not include the "no-brainer" RFAs but, just for the record,the following guys also need qualifying offers:

Tanev

Vey

Clendenning

Stanton

Sbisa

Corrado

Baertschi

Eriksson

Thanks for doing the work to put these lists together. Most guys will get qualifying offers because the cost of qualifying players is low. There is the issue of the Canucks being allowed a maximum of 50 players under contract, but guys can be released later.

You did not include the "no-brainer" RFAs but, just for the record,the following guys also need qualifying offers:

Tanev

Vey

Clendenning

Stanton

Sbisa

Corrado

Baertschi

Eriksson

Purposely left off the ones that aren't in question. Even though, there would have probably been a bunch of people saying we shouldn't qualify Vey.

The fans have to have someone to pick on lol

Purposely left off the ones that aren't in question. Even though, there would have probably been a bunch of people saying we shouldn't qualify Vey.

I don't mind keeping Vey, but it often feels like Vey haven't shown much to deserve the 1st unit PP time...although our PP isn't great...would still like to see some net presences...

I don't mind keeping Vey, but it often feels like Vey haven't shown much to deserve the 1st unit PP time...although our PP isn't great...would still like to see some net presences...

My opinion on Vey has evolved. When he was initially trades for a second round pick I was disappointed as I wanted the team to re-sign Santorelli (a local guy who loved being here and who played well the previous year until his injury). With Vey coming on, Santo was gone as they are pretty close substitutes. And I would have preferred to use the second round pick on McKeown. (But he did not have a great year this year, with a sharp decline in points scored and in plus/minus relative to last year.)

After the season got going I changed my mind and was happy about Vey. He seemed to have a lot of offensive upside and his scoring rate was pretty reasonable.

However, unlike Horvat, Kassian, or Kenins, he does not seem to have made a lot of progress over the year. I have read that he is playing better defensively, but his scoring has really dried up in the second half of the season. At his age, if he is not improving that is a big problem. And his defence still looks shaky. And he contributes nothing to the physical game. And, although he is a good skater, he is far from being a "burner" like Hansen. At this stage I bet that both Kenins and Horvat are faster skaters.

So now I am kind of negative about Vey again. And with Baertschi being signed I do not see a lot of room for him.

But he will of course get a qualifying offer. And over the summer he needs to add strength and come to camp next ready to contribute more physically, and showing normal age-related improvement in other areas. He might make the team as 13th man, depending on who gets traded and which UFA get re-signed (or signed).

Got to get rid of some of the veterans on this team, but unfortunately all our UFA vets have done really well so far. Dorsett and Richardson are two easy-outs but they've both been fantastic this season. That being said, they're very replaceable by Kenins and Horvat, who's 10 minutes a night can be replaced in turn by Jensen/Shinkaruk/Baertschi and Gaunce even.

Personally I'd like to see us somehow trade Burrows for a 2nd round pick (or package for a top-10 pick or a young D-man like Morrow), or Higgins for a 2nd although I'd rather flip Burrows and his 4+M cap hit off first. Getting rid of Burrows, we may be able to keep Richardson and Dorsett cheap:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Higgins - Bonino - Vey

Kenins - Horvat - Hansen

Jensen/Dorsett - Matthias - Richardson

Got to get rid of some of the veterans on this team, but unfortunately all our UFA vets have done really well so far. Dorsett and Richardson are two easy-outs but they've both been fantastic this season. That being said, they're very replaceable by Kenins and Horvat, who's 10 minutes a night can be replaced in turn by Jensen/Shinkaruk/Baertschi and Gaunce even.

Personally I'd like to see us somehow trade Burrows for a 2nd round pick (or package for a top-10 pick or a young D-man like Morrow), or Higgins for a 2nd although I'd rather flip Burrows and his 4+M cap hit off first. Getting rid of Burrows, we may be able to keep Richardson and Dorsett cheap:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Higgins - Bonino - Vey

Kenins - Horvat - Hansen

Jensen/Dorsett - Matthias - Richardson

Of course, you type all of this as if you've thought about it a lot but then leave off our leading scorer.

Archived