The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Netanyahu Wins Election - Likud 30 Seats - Zionist Union 24 Seats

DonLever

From the CBC:

Israelis were voting in parliament elections Tuesday, after a heated three-month campaign that focused on economic issues but ended with a dramatic last-minute pledge by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to prevent the establishment of a Palestinian state.

Netanyahu's comments marked a reversal of long-standing promises to the United States and were seen as a last-ditch effort to appeal to hard-line voters as he fights for his political survival in a close race.

He claimed that any state established alongside Israel would be controlled by Islamic extremists who "will attack us with rockets."

Who wants such a thing?" Netanyahu said in a phone interview with Israel TV's Channel 10 after casting his ballot early on Tuesday.

Netanyahu appeared to be appealing to his hard-line base with these comments, after polls indicated his Likud Party is trailing slightly behind the Zionist Union of centrist challenger Isaac Herzog.

Herzog has said he would revive peace efforts with the Palestinians, repair ties with the U.S. and reduce the growing gaps between rich and poor.

Netanyahu is a devious Machiavellian politician. I don't know why the Israeli voters can't see through him. That guy talks through both sides of his mouth.

To the international community and the USA Netanyahu say he is committed to a two state solution and does the hardest to undermine that position by continuing to build settlements. Now he trying to win over right wing voters by saying there will be never be a Palestine State.

Netanyahu says one thing and does another. He say he is oppose to prisoner swaps and yet he did a deal with Hamas. He said he would crush Hamas and would not stop the war until that was achieved. Well, that certainly did not occur as he agreed to a ceasefire.

Of course, at the end of the day he will remain in power as he will build a coalition with other right wing parties.

Netanyahu is a devious Machiavellian politician. I don't know why the Israeli voters can't see through him. That guy talks through both sides of his mouth.

To the international community and the USA Netanyahu say he is committed to a two state solution and does the hardest to undermine that position by continuing to build settlements. Now he trying to win over right wing voters by saying there will be never be a Palestine State.

Netanyahu says one thing and does another. He say he is oppose to prisoner swaps and yet he did a deal with Hamas. He said he would crush Hamas and would not stop the war until that was achieved. Well, that certainly did not occur as he agreed to a ceasefire.

Of course, at the end of the day he will remain in power as he will build a coalition with other right wing parties.

Yeah, but if you were in power, what would you do?

Also, as far as the prisoner swaps thing goes, you can be opposed to something and still do it.

Yeah, but if you were in power, what would you do?

Also, as far as the prisoner swaps thing goes, you can be opposed to something and still do it.

Views can also change with changing events, and they should. He's rejecting a Palestinian state, because of how crazy things are in the region. His stance is there would be nothing to stop a Palestinian state from being overrun by groups like ISIS, bringing the battle directly to Israel's door.

Personally, I hope he losses. His choice of coalition partners is awful. The centre left represents a much better choice. It also seems the much bigger issue in Israel is, like here, the soaring cost of living.

Also Netanyahu is not a "machavelian" politician. In fact, he's royally f-ed this one up. He's the one who called the election early, because he was confident he would win. He didn't anticipate the centre left parties forming an alliance.

Bottom line

He is making statements like "The entire world is out to get me" "My enemies are campaigning against me" "The world is funding my enemies"

Now it might just be me. But the people campaigning against him in his country are his countrymen. The people he is running against are his countrymen.

How on earth are they enemies...

He is making broad wide sweeping statements that are redolent of the following groups and individuals

Putin. ISIS. Kim Jong Un. Iranian Ayatollah. Libyan President. Saddam.

And the list goes on and on.

This guy went mad with power over a decade ago he has been a war hungry idiot for as long back as i can remember and is making threats and statements similar to threats to anyone and everyone who doesn't agree with him.

Warmongers never make good leaders.

Ben needs to go. That regime is a loose cannon. He was one of the major people pushing the us to attack Iraq and at the same time even back then pushing them to attack iran.

I fear a republican president and the current Israeli regime

He has completely given up attempting to sway the centre-left Israelis to support him, instead he is counting on the right wing to be riled up:

1:45 P.M. Netanyahu: Right-wing gov't in danger - Arabs voting in droves

Likud is troubled over high voter turnout in the Arab community. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu recently uploaded a video to his Facebook page in which he said: "The right-wing government is in danger. Arab voters are coming out in droves to the polls. Left-wing organizations are busing them out. We have no V15, we have Order 8 [code for emergency call up to IDF reserve duty], we have only you. Get out to vote, bring your friends and family, vote Likud in order to close the gap between us and 'Labor.'"

http://www.haaretz.com/news/israel-election-2015/1.647304

Impressive voter turnouts compared to the usual ~20% here in Canada.

Netanyahu has also declared victory on Twitter. I hope he's just being senile

He has completely given up attempting to sway the centre-left Israelis to support him, instead he is counting on the right wing to be riled up:

http://www.haaretz.com/news/israel-election-2015/1.647304

Impressive voter turnouts compared to the usual ~20% here in Canada.

Interesting....

EDIT: this kind of divisive strategy is just disgusting. He is a disgusting man and his presence on this earth is a waste of oxygen, water and food.

Archived