The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***PAT QUINN APPRECIATION THREAD***

cuporbust

In light of the Pat Quinn celebration tonight , I thought it would be nice to start a thread dedicated to our thoughts and memories about this Canucks / hockey icon. Rip pat. You will be missed by hockey fans everywhere

Post your pics , thoughts . memories and feelings on the celebration tonight here.

I'll remember players and coaches alike talking about him in reverence about the presence he had in the locker room.

I'll remember Marc Crawford jokingly talking about how he could have been a much better coach if he had Pat's booming voice rather than his own high-pitched squeel.

And I'll never forget when Quinn threw his chewing gum at a ref in disgust (I think it was game 7), but the gum ended up coming out of his hand during the throwing motion and ended up going straight up before falling back down. It's the very first clip on this video:

I've told this one before, but here goes.

I was at the Canucks' Carnival, a popular event, with line ups for each activity being fairly long (longer than I realized it seems).

So I managed to find one booth that had no one there...just figured it wasn't as popular. I mean, when you have Gino being dunked in a dunk tank and Pavel there, interacting, it was bound to attract more people over to their side.

I quickly hurried over to the booth and lined up on the side and waited for my turn. I then felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around to see....none other than Pat Quinn!

"Nice try there Miss".

??

He pointed around to the other side, where there indeed was a huge line up for the booth I was at....I'd just somehow managed to miss it.

We had a chuckle and "negotiated" a deal...I'd go line up (fairly) if he gave me an autograph.

What stuck with me was his very approachable and fun loving demeanor....he was right down there, mingling with the crowd. And it was an absolute honour to have shook hands and chatted with a man who I consider a legend.

All the respect in the world to him. He is missed but will never be forgotten 'round these parts.

With pure admiration

Cheers, Pat.

I think my favorite Quinn moment was when he was on HNIC between periods of a game and obviously wanted to kill Cherry for bad mouthing Pavel. (Grapes said something to the effect of Bure threatening to sit out game seven against the Flames, if he wasn't given a contract extension)

I can't ever remember seeing Quinn that angry and judging by the way Grapes looked post-game, I think he planned on giving the big Irishman a wide berth for a while..

I've told this one before, but here goes.

I was at the Canucks' Carnival, a popular event, with line ups for each activity being fairly long (longer than I realized it seems).

So I managed to find one booth that had no one there...just figured it wasn't as popular. I mean, when you have Gino being dunked in a dunk tank and Pavel there, interacting, it was bound to attract more people over to their side.

I quickly hurried over to the booth and lined up on the side and waited for my turn. I then felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around to see....none other than Pat Quinn!

"Nice try there Miss".

??

He pointed around to the other side, where there indeed was a huge line up for the booth I was at....I'd just somehow managed to miss it.

We had a chuckle and "negotiated" a deal...I'd go line up (fairly) if he gave me an autograph.

What stuck with me was his very approachable and fun loving demeanor....he was right down there, mingling with the crowd. And it was an absolute honour to have shook hands and chatted with a man who I consider a legend.

All the respect in the world to him. He is missed but will never be forgotten 'round these parts.

With pure admiration

Cheers, Pat.

That tale gets one feeling 'warmer inside' everytime you share it ... it helps capture Pat's basic essence of kindness, fairness and humor, all combined with a fierce 'will to win' ... a truly fitting 'symbol' for this team.

I think my favorite Quinn moment was when he was on HNIC between periods of a game and obviously wanted to kill Cherry for bad mouthing Pavel. (Grapes said something to the effect of Bure threatening to sit out game seven against the Flames, if he wasn't given a contract extension)

I can't ever remember seeing Quinn that angry and judging by the way Grapes looked post-game, I think he planned on giving the big Irishman a wide berth for a while..

I have a sorta funny story.

About three years ago I was on my way back to kelowna from a stint on a diamond drilling rig through YVR. I'm standing outside and I see this mountain of a man waking out the automatic door with some young business looking guy , towards a limo that was waiting for both of them.

I realize after a look it was in fact Quinn. I politely ask as he's walking by and he has time if I can't get a pic with him. He looks at me and says right away " I always have time for that". So I ask a woman standing beside us to take a pic with my iPhone for me. I stand beside Quinn and the woman points the camera at us. She stands there confused and says she wasn't sure if It worked after we akwardly stood there. I walked over and found she was taking video. She took about 30 seconds worth. I show her how to use it and go stand beside Quinn again. She points it at us again and stands there for another akwardl 39 seconds again. Pat starts to look side to side kinda wondering what was going on. She had done the same thing again

Pat looks at her and says " you must be a Toronto fan".

Hahaha

I loved the story of how he called Pat Burns wife to inform her that Pat would be inducted in the hall of fame. His kindness in that phone call showed a calm Pat Quinn. If you haven't heard it, I suggest listening to it. I am looking for the link.

An Irish tale:

Some Guinness was spilled on the barroom floor
when the pub was shut for the night.
Out of his hole crept a wee brown mouse
and stood in the pale moonlight.
He lapped up the frothy brew from the floor,
then back on his haunches he sat.
And all night long you could hear him roar,
'Bring on the goddam cat!'

Quinn was no mouse, but he had that fighting spirit. Vancouver was blessed to have him be a part of our family while he was here.

You'll be missed Pat!

8433164.jpg?size=mobile290

4-leaf-clover.jpg

Two Irishmen are adrift in a lifeboat somewhere in the middle of the Celtic Sea...

A bottle floats by and one of them grabs it. He takes out the stopper (hoping against hope that it's full of Bushmills) and out pops a genie...The genie says, "Thank you for freeing me! I will grant you one wish!"

Without thinking, the first Irishman says "I want this entire sea to be full of the greatest drink known to mankind! Guinness!"

The genie claps his hands to the sound of thunder and a blinding flash of light...

A few seconds later, the Irishmen can see again. The Sea is calm, the genie is gone and the lifeboat is floating on a dark, foamy sea of Guinness...

The second Irishman looks at the first in disgust and says, "Nice going Seamus! Now were going to have to pee in the boat!"

I had the honor of meeting Pat at River Rock in 2011 when they were doing the 94 Canucks tribute. After the initial signing appearances were handled terribly (we waited for an hour to meet Kirk McLean only to be told he was done when we were about 4 people away). We decided to wait all day and see who we could meet on their way into the actual event. I ended up getting a skate logo flag signed by pretty much everyone who was there. When I met Pat he laughed as he signed my flag and said "Oh you don't want my autograph you want all these guys" (meaning the players). A legend of the game who was as humble as they come. We'll miss you Pat.

I have a sorta funny story.

About three years ago I was on my way back to kelowna from a stint on a diamond drilling rig through YVR. I'm standing outside and I see this mountain of a man waking out the automatic door with some young business looking guy , towards a limo that was waiting for both of them.

I realize after a look it was in fact Quinn. I politely ask as he's walking by and he has time if I can't get a pic with him. He looks at me and says right away " I always have time for that". So I ask a woman standing beside us to take a pic with my iPhone for me. I stand beside Quinn and the woman points the camera at us. She stands there confused and says she wasn't sure if It worked after we akwardly stood there. I walked over and found she was taking video. She took about 30 seconds worth. I show her how to use it and go stand beside Quinn again. She points it at us again and stands there for another akwardl 39 seconds again. Pat starts to look side to side kinda wondering what was going on. She had done the same thing again

Pat looks at her and says " you must be a Toronto fan".

Hahaha

OMG, this is priceless. Thanks for sharing, loved it. :)

In following up with the thread, all of it. Good job in sharing Pat's legacy here...beautiful.

OMG, this is priceless. Thanks for sharing, loved it. :)

In following up with the thread, all of it. Good job in sharing Pat's legacy here...beautiful.

Lol. Ya I thought it was great. Seemed like such a "real " person not fake. Blue collar type for sure. The kinda guy u really wanted to sit and have a beer with.

Archived