The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***PAT QUINN APPRECIATION THREAD***

cuporbust

I'll remember players and coaches alike talking about him in reverence about the presence he had in the locker room.

I'll remember Marc Crawford jokingly talking about how he could have been a much better coach if he had Pat's booming voice rather than his own high-pitched squeel.

And I'll never forget when Quinn threw his chewing gum at a ref in disgust (I think it was game 7), but the gum ended up coming out of his hand during the throwing motion and ended up going straight up before falling back down. It's the very first clip on this video:

Hahaha. This is awesome.

So many great Pat Quinn stories. I never got a chance to meet him. I am old enough to remember the Bobby Orr hit. I was a huge Orr fan but sat in front of the TV set and defended Quinn's hit.

Many Canuck fans do not remember the first Canuck roster and even though his ice skills were not always the best he and Orland were true team leaders. Quality guys who led that team well.

Most fans remember the '94 run, the best team Van has ever iced IMHO. What many fans do not remember is what desperate shape the Canucks were in before Pat Quinn showed up. He totally changed the team into a winner. I use the word 'stalwart' to describe Pat Quinn. A Canuck stalwart on and off the ice. The best Canuck ever. I say that as I move Trevor Linden slightly back. Since Linden was under Quinn's watchful eye I expect Linden to win the CUP that Quinn could not. On that night I hope fans remember Pat Quinn. He will be present.

Pat Quinn came to us in a time of need, and he saved this whole franchise with the moves he made. We were in mediocrity for 20 years, and rumoured for relocation, but Pat built such an amazing squad and just turned our fortunes around completely when he got here. Vancouver owes this man so much for all he did for the city. I hope we send off Pat with a win tonight. :) Rest in Peace Mr. Quinn.

I actually felt at peace when Pat was coach and GM of the team..you just knew he would do the right thing..players liked him and the public adored him..cant think of to many bad moves he made.

Pat made Vancouver his home because he loved it here and I like to think that even when he was coaching Toronto and Edmonton deep down he was still a Canuck.

Cheers to you Mr.Quinn.

its too bad he stepped down as a coach to be a GM. He's a good gm but a much better coach. Have he coached in 95 we would have fnished higher in the standings, the same with 96 97 and 98. If he was coaching back in 1997 and 1998, the team would have easily made the playoffs.

oh well. things change. HOpefully we can win the Stanley cup one day for him.

There just aren't enough words to describe the mighty Pat Quinn. He was and always be a great among greats. Every time you heard him speak or enter a room you stopped to watch or listen. You can't help but think of Pat Quinn when you think of the Vancouver Canucks among his other great achievements - he is and always will be a Vancouver Canuck. RIP Pat Quinn - your legacy will live on forever.

I was too young to see the 94 cup run and the impact Quinn had back then. But still, even to this day I can see the impact he has had. Old players living across the world coming back to celebrate his life - that in itself speaks volumes to the type of guy he was.

Not to mention we all have heard the stories and how the Canucks would not be the Canucks we now know and love (from their character players, to the various charities they do, etc.) That started with Quinn, and worked it's way down the chain to the active President we have today.

May he rest in peace!

When I was about 10 or 11 years old, I went to a Canucks - Islanders game at the Pacific Coliseum with my minor hockey team from the island. We got to play during the first intermission on the big ice, at the big show. The game itself was already out of reach, something like 4-0 Vancouver after the first period, and Glen Healey (who I detest even to this day) had played the first period. Being a goaltender myself, I remember just kinda watching a lot of the time and looking at the crowd. I did manage to make a few saves, however the first shot I faced went in cause my legs were shaking so bad. As it was coming to an end I remember looking over to the Canucks bench and, there with a few other guys was big Pat Quinn, standing in the tunnel just watching all of us little guys play with that big Irish smile on his face. As we walked back to the dressing room after, the Islanders were standing waiting to go back out. Glen Healey looked at me and said "Good Job out there kid", and I looked at him and said "Did better than you!" which gave Pat quite the chuckle. I was raised in a Montreal Canadians home till that point, but after that I was and forever will be a Canucks fan. I owe it all to Pat Quinn. RIP Pat, may your spirits be high and your glass never empty.

I think my favorite Quinn moment was when he was on HNIC between periods of a game and obviously wanted to kill Cherry for bad mouthing Pavel. (Grapes said something to the effect of Bure threatening to sit out game seven against the Flames, if he wasn't given a contract extension)

I can't ever remember seeing Quinn that angry and judging by the way Grapes looked post-game, I think he planned on giving the big Irishman a wide berth for a while..

Haha, I remember this well Rupe. To me Quinn represented all the reasons I loved and played the game.

Gotta raise a glass, you will be missed big fella, Cheers!!!!

Archived