The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2015 Federal Election Thread

thejazz97

PM Mock Election  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2. Its funny, as a hobby I enjoy studying pharmacology and in particular recreational substances, and on some major drug forums, I posted a question years ago, about legalizing drugs, and nearly 50% of the respondants posted to me that if "the man" says its ok, it takes away alot of the rush of doing it. Alot of kids trying drugs are doing it out of pure rebellion. People will NOT start using something that they havent already used just because its legal. And those that do, will have a better knowledge of the risks and can guarantee their purity.

I agree that eduction is paramount. That is the single most important way to get kids to make the right choices.

My background.

I am exposed to a lot recreational drugs as part of my volunteering, and in many cases I get to spend a while with each patient when establishing their immediate health. Most times I can tell exactly what drugs they have taken before I ask, just by look. I am trained to identify and treat people ODing and dealing with their mental health when they are melting down. I have spoken with 16 year old Ecstasy users, to addicts who have used meth for 25 years.

My experience tells me people will try it if it's legal. Most real addicts will use whatever you have and all of it.

It's my opinion that some people are prone to using drugs, even before they have used them. I believe that those people are at a higher risk of using in the first place if we legalize all drugs for sale. My solution is more based on harm reduction. Legalize and tax Marijuana, mushrooms and some non-chemical substances, and control chemical street drugs. I would look into prescribed opiates for extreme addicts and still enforce laws on manufacturers and traffickers, not street dealers and users. It's obviously not that simple, but that's my thought process. One of the factors people seem to overlook is that organized crime won't disappear if drugs are legalized. They're not just going to work at Subway, they're going to evolve with the laws. That's why we need progressive leaders. Not Conservatives. It seems that as soon the US started to realize the war on drugs is a total failure, Harper picked up the ball and started running.

I won't vote for someone who doesn't support Israel... that's about as far as it goes for me. And yeah, they have to be a somewhat decent politician/person, too.

Good luck with that...

What is your support of Israel regarding? Because of our RTA? Do you support Netanyahu's uber Right wing, hardline protectionist coalition partners? You are allowed to support Israel but condemn Likud. I would die for Canada but I hate my Prime Minister. I think people need to start distinguishing between Israel and it's government.

Support of a controversial foreign nation is an odd requirement for domestic support to me.

Yeah for sure, meth is already legal as a prescription for ADHD/Narcolepsy, I believe its called Desoxyn, its rarely prescribed however as more simply structured amphetamines have a safer profile. And Krokodile is barely known in Canada, and the only reason it exists is because Opiates are so impure and hard to find, that the addict who is informed eneough to even know of its existence can make it quite simply using OTC Codiene. If safer Opiates were available legally I would wager my retirement very few people who use this alternative would bother at all. But to answer your question, yes, I would legalize everything. Tobaco and Alcohol are legal, they kill far more people then any illegal drugs do, and with legalization the rest of the drugs would be heavilly regulated for purity, further reducing their death count against alcy and tobaco.

and woops I quoted the wrong thing, I meant to quote your question about drug legalization .

holy s#!t somebody just got rkt, vote libertarians!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/income-splitting-helps-fewer-than-1-in-6-families-pbo-says-1.2997972

Conservatives, helping the few who don't need it at the expense of the many.

Income splitting helps fewer than 1 in 6 families, PBO says
Budget watchdog says family tax cut will cost $2.2 billion this year

The parliamentary budget officer says the family tax cut announced last year will cost the federal government about $2.2 billion this year and will benefit fewer than one in six households.

The program is meant to fulfill the Conservatives' 2011 election promise to bring in income splitting for families once the budget was balanced.

"The FTC [family tax credit] benefits about two million households, or 15 per cent of the Canadian total," a newly released report by the PBOsays.

It goes on to say "middle and middle-high income households benefit most because they are more likely to have a family income and income tax structure conducive to FTC gains."

Opposition critics have complained since the scheme's unveiling that it is inherently unfair because its benefits are skewed toward the wealthy.

That criticism seems to be in line with what a former finance minister concluded last year.

The late Jim Flaherty, while he was still in the finance portfolio, denounced his own government's plan as one that "benefits some parts of the Canadian population a lot — and other parts of the Canadian population virtually not at all."

Since that time, the government significantly modified the original promise and turned outright income-splitting into a non-refundable federal tax credit — and capped it at $2,000.

At the time of the announcement, Prime Minister Stephen Harper acknowledged "concerns had been raised" about the original, unrestricted promise as being simply too expensive.

Finance minister reacts

In addition to the family tax credit, the government also expanded the universal childcare benefit — boosting the monthly payment to families with children under age 6 to $160 from $100.

It also introduced a new payment for children aged 6 to 17 of $60 a month.

In response to the parliamentary budget officer's report, Finance Minister Joe Oliver defended the program.

"Under our Conservative government, the tax burden on Canadians is at the lowest level in more than 50 years," he said in a statement. "The family tax cut and enhanced universal child care benefit will benefit 100 per cent of families with kids — the vast majority of benefits going to low- and middle-income families."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/income-splitting-helps-fewer-than-1-in-6-families-pbo-says-1.2997972

Conservatives, helping the few who don't need it at the expense of the many.

Oh wait there's more

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/veterans-affairs-ads-that-cost-4-3m-fell-flat-with-viewers-report-1.2998647

Veterans Affairs Canada says its $4.3-million ad campaign last year was "effective," but internal polling shows the ads were mocked and derided by many viewers.

The flagship TV spot showed a veteran dressing for a job on civvy street, with a word-scroll saying that "rehabilitation, financial support, mental health services, career transition services" were all available from the department when it was being criticized for closing offices and short-changing suffering vets.

erin-o-toole-veterans-affairs-minister.j

Veterans Affairs Minister Erin O'Toole, who replaced Fantino in January, has been increasing benefits to veterans. (CBC)

The department hired pollster Harris Decima to survey 2,007 people in June about what they remembered, if anything, about the TV, radio and internet advertising – and discovered a sharp backlash.

The ads prompted viewers to lambaste Veterans Affairs for "lack of funding/misappropriation of funds/money wasted on ads," and the "lack of fair treatment for veterans," says an internal survey analysis. Other viewers mentioned the "lack of support for veterans/their families" and the "lack of access to services/cuts to veterans service."

Negative comments

Of the 435 people who said they knew a veteran and had seen the ads, more than 40 per cent had only negative things to say, compared with 27 per cent who were positive. Even among those who did not know a veteran, 37 per cent offered negative comments and only 29 per cent were positive.

The five-week national campaign, which ran May 12 to June 15, was the first ever by Veterans Affairs that focused on support and services available to veterans. Previous ads have had Remembrance Day themes.

'This was blatant opportunism.'
- Peter Stoffer, NDP veterans affairs critic

Production, media buy and evaluation cost taxpayers $4.3 million, and came at a time when then-veterans affairs minister Julian Fantino was under fire from veterans groups for lack of support to injured vets, and the closure of eight service centres.

"The 2014 advertising campaign … results show this campaign was effective, particularly among those who report they personally know a veteran," says a November briefing note to Fantino, who was replaced in January by Erin O'Toole.

But a government analysis of the Harris Decima survey numbers, obtained by CBC News under the Access to Information Act, suggests the millions spent did little to stir warm feelings for the department.

"Gov(ernment) self-promotion for not doing enough/veterans are being neglected" was the response of some 150 people who saw the ads and were asked to describe the "main point."

Visits up on Veterans Affairs website

A spokeswoman for Veterans Affairs says the department regards the campaign as a success because almost half those surveyed remembered seeing the ads, and the number of veterans signing up for an online MyVAC account increased 28 per cent during the campaign.

"Comparing website visits prior to the campaign to those during the peak of the campaign, VAC (Veterans Affairs Canada) experienced an 876 per cent increase in web visits," Kate Murphy said in an email.

"Plans for 2015 VAC advertising have not been finalized," she added.

NDP veterans affairs critic Peter Stoffer, who called the ads a waste of money at the time they ran, now says "we've got confirmation."

"This was blatant opportunism because the government has your tax dollars and they wasted it," he said from Fall River, N.S. "It's pure propaganda."

​Stoffer said the money would have been better spent contacting veterans directly.

Focus groups that were shown the TV ad in the spring before it aired were generally positive, though some said the spot "does not visually convey a sense of services used by this individual or why he needs them," says a $69,000 report commissioned from Phoenix Strategic Perspectives.

Since being appointed minister on Jan. 5, O'Toole has taken a more conciliatory position with veterans, announcing several improvements to benefits in the last two weeks.

============================================

Keeping in mind that the Harper Government toppled the libs over Adscam at just over $2 million.

While Harper is blowing our money as fast as he can promoting how great his party is with Vets after clawing back $1.1 BILLION from Veterans affairs and their essential services.

That's like me stealing your cow and offering you a hamburger for the trouble

A genius right here, folks! I will volunteer and become head of the new crown corporation, Drugs Canada. I will take part in the billion-dollar industry by taking a huge portion of Federal taxes and producing goods which will kill my own customers! Cuts will be made to... pensions (screw the old geezers and let them try Krokadil), and other so-called essential services. Giving free recreational drugs to citizens is much more important!

if this is all you can counter then thaks for backing up HIS statement

A genius right here, folks! I will volunteer and become head of the new crown corporation, Drugs Canada. I will take part in the billion-dollar industry by taking a huge portion of Federal taxes and producing goods which will kill my own customers! Cuts will be made to... pensions (screw the old geezers and let them try Krokadil), and other so-called essential services. Giving free recreational drugs to citizens is much more important!

Okay Mr. Judgmental.

If you actually took the time to read my original post you would realize that this idea wouldn't be about making money, but more so saving money spent on endlessly fighting this infamous war on drugs. What cuts would be made? Canada spends 2.3 Billion per year on enforcement dealing with illegal drugs. Just enforcement.

Unless of course you really believe the current fight is actually working, then go ahead and continue laughing at any controversial ideas.

But hey don't take my word for it, look at the classic case of Portugal.

All I'm advocating is taking it one step further.

I haven't even really brought up the Action Plan advertisements and actual programs that never existed yet cost canadian taxpayers almost $300 million over a three year period. That is THREE HUNDRED MILLION

Written out looks like this

$300,000,000.00

With many advertised programs to the 1-800-0-Canada line never accessible and in some cases non existent while most reported that the line would go dead when called.

But if you REALLY want a reason to vote against this Open, Honest, Transparent and fiscally responsible steward of our economy party. look no further than here

http://www.debtclock.ca/

In less than 10 years total, Harper increased the national debt by over $110 BILLION and that does not include the on going costs of the conflicts he's embroiled us in and also does not count the money Harper gave CMHC and the Banks in 2008/2009. Remember the bailout that wasn't a bailout?

Vote Conservative or ISIS wins.

Hey, which way to the ISIS Camps Harper? I want to Join.

OH You want ISIS?

Just go Left

*By the way, this is a LITERAL ad that Netenyahu had played over the last month. This is what happens when you scare people enough so that they don't think straight

Okay Mr. Judgmental.

This wouldn't be about making money, more so saving money spent on the pointless fight against the drug war.

Unless of course you really believe the current fight is actually working, then go ahead and continue laughing at any controversial ideas.

But hey don't take my word for it, look at the classic case of Portugal.

All I'm advocating is taking it one step further.

exactly, how many families have been torn apart not because of a herb but because the mafia took johnnies dad and stuck him in a cage

Just have to ask yourself, would you rather the Conservatives blast you in the ass, or the Liberals to blast you in the ass?

Trudeau looks like he can handle a blasting. Harper looks like he couldn't figure out which end to use. Mulcair looks like a cuddler and May....well May looks like she knows her way round a whip

Archived