The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kadri - fresh off suspension earns another with head shot to Fraser

oldnews

Second game back from a team-imposed suspension, and Kadri puts himself in cue for a league imposed suspension for a head shot to Edmonton's Mark Fraser. Freeze it at the 13 second mark and you see the chicken wing extend - pretty hard to maintain there's no intent there. Looks like an elbow and not a shoulder (as a result of 'trying to sneak by'). If he were trying to 'sneak by' he'd have turned his right side forward.

How many games?

Not his first infraction, he's developed a slimy reputation and should be punished.

Backstrom has a rep for diving, yes, but that was pretty ugly on Kadri's part. Not only did he neglect to avoid contact, he sought it out and drove through Backstrom's head. This hit on Fraser is just as bad, if not worse. If that last hit was worthy of three games then this one, especially considering he's now a repeat offender, should earn him at least as many with a fine on top.

Kadri needs to grow up. Whenever things aren't going his way or his team's way you start to see him get chippy and downright dirty. I can't stand the guy.

Definitely a dirty hit. I'd say 5 games or so. Was Fraser hurt long-term?

Despite the fact that it was dirty, I can appreciate the fact that Kadri was immediately concerned for Fraser's well-being. Better than some scumbags who are glad to injure players.

Definitely a dirty hit. I'd say 5 games or so. Was Fraser hurt long-term?

Despite the fact that it was dirty, I can appreciate the fact that Kadri was immediately concerned for Fraser's well-being. Better than some scumbags who are glad to injure players.

If you're suggesting Fraser's potential injury should factor into the punishment, I hate that idea. The whole idea that a player's injury impacts the decision just doesn't make sense. It's not uncommon to see players hurt on plays that we're really just accidents. You see teams receive 4 minute PP's because a player was slashed and bled, which I can appreciate because you need to be responsible for your stick, but it's really not uncommon to see players hack and whack, try to 2 hand each other, and miss but it goes uncalled. I can recall one from a year or two ago in a Van/LA game where Kes was carrying the puck up ice and Richards tried to stick lift him but reached in on Kes' left (kes was on his forehand) and missed the sticklift by about 2-3 feet and clipped Kes in the face anyway. No call.

This is the one that jumps out to me because I saw it again recently. Bottom line, the outcome of the incident should have little to no bearing on the decision. IMO, it should be entirely about intent. In that instance above, Lupul was headhunting and missed. Yeah Henrik walks away as if nothing ever happens but so does Lupul, he gets to walk away unpunished from a malicious and dirty hit that he simply missed on.

If you're suggesting Fraser's potential injury should factor into the punishment, I hate that idea. The whole idea that a player's injury impacts the decision just doesn't make sense. It's not uncommon to see players hurt on plays that we're really just accidents. You see teams receive 4 minute PP's because a player was slashed and bled, which I can appreciate because you need to be responsible for your stick, but it's really not uncommon to see players hack and whack, try to 2 hand each other, and miss but it goes uncalled. I can recall one from a year or two ago in a Van/LA game where Kes was carrying the puck up ice and Richards tried to stick lift him but reached in on Kes' left (kes was on his forehand) and missed the sticklift by about 2-3 feet and clipped Kes in the face anyway. No call.

This is the one that jumps out to me because I saw it again recently. Bottom line, the outcome of the incident should have little to no bearing on the decision. IMO, it should be entirely about intent. In that instance above, Lupul was headhunting and missed. Yeah Henrik walks away as if nothing ever happens but so does Lupul, he gets to walk away unpunished from a malicious and dirty hit that he simply missed on.

obvious reatliation hit on Lupul as wellololol

I don't think that was the outcome he was looking for, but he absolutely could have avoided contact. He knew what he did as soon as it was done, you can tell by the reaction. Suspension worthy IMO.

What would Eakins say about it?

Kadri lined him up and made absolutely no effort to alter his course - actually the opposite - clearly caught him with the elbow - imo the apologism 'I don't think he intended'.... is pretty laughable. Forget the mind reading - read the body language. No effort whatsoever to avoid drilling him to the head - and on top of that the subtle chicken wing and a slight last second shift (visible from above at the 13 second mark) into the player.

Repeat and recently suspended - 5 games minimun.

*Read in Shanny's Monotone Voice*

He looked like he was trying to get around Fraser but at the last second, Matt suddenly turn clockwise, causing his head to be the point of contact, not his shoulder. Although this hit may not have been malicious, it was a reckless play by Kadri who was gaining speed toward a player with his back turned, and had stuck his arm out slightly at the point of contact.

Because of Kadri's history with suspensions, I'd say he gets 4 games, maybe 5.

Looking at the video, I don't think he was actually going for the head, and you can see him trying to see if Matt was alright immediately after the hit. But it was a headshot nonetheless and Kadri needs to learn that this is a professional's league, and you need to act as such.

If you're suggesting Fraser's potential injury should factor into the punishment, I hate that idea. The whole idea that a player's injury impacts the decision just doesn't make sense.

Our entire society is based on this concept. Law and punishment especially. The end result impacts the punishment. Why should it be different for sports?

Our entire society is based on this concept. Law and punishment especially. The end result impacts the punishment. Why should it be different for sports?

Policing sports is a lot different than policing society. And yes, attempted robbery, burglary, murder, etc are punishable for their intent so I don't see why we can't punish athletes who clearly attempt to make a malicious play and miss instead.

The end result does impact the verdict yes but that doesn't mean we can't punish the intent. Much like a person can be tried for attempted murder or given the lesser verdict of 3rd degree vs. 1st degree, the NHL should look into punishing these attempted but failed attempts at injuring with greater consistency.

Policing sports is a lot different than policing society. And yes, attempted robbery, burglary, murder, etc are punishable for their intent so I don't see why we can't punish athletes who clearly attempt to make a malicious play and miss instead.

The end result does impact the verdict yes but that doesn't mean we can't punish the intent. Much like a person can be tried for attempted murder or given the lesser verdict of 3rd degree vs. 1st degree, the NHL should look into punishing these attempted but failed attempts at injuring with greater consistency.

I agree with you that the Lupul headhunt should have been suspended.

The bottom line was clear and malicious intent - and the result was in fact a head shot - it just so happens it was wreckless enough that he wound up throwing the elbow into a team-mates mug. Regardless, the point is to get these chickensh!t cheapshots out of the game - so whethere it was the intent or the result, Lupul clearly intended to throw a headshot and wound up doing so no matter how comical the fail was. That should certainly come into play if he faces a suspension in the future.

Archived