The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are "C" Decals That Say Chinese Driver Racist?

DonLever

There's a double standard that happens....discussion of Chinese drivers HAS always had people scream racism so not sure how this is somehow to be deemed as ok? Or how it's ok for some? Sort of undermines the whole idea of NOT singling people out, even directed at self.

Just like when people use the N word in songs, etc....there can't be a special set of rules because that creates inconsistency and mixed messages and blurs lines.

I don't really get the point of this and racism isn't something you can pick and choose as to when it suits you. If you scroll back in the forums and look for comments of "Chinese drivers" they are deemed unacceptable so how is this different? I'm not sure why we'd give anything a pass because it contributes in the end. Makes it acceptable.

Also: the "ICBC"? You can't copy something like this( last time I checked) and just randomly use it in a misrepresentation? Really missing the mark if you're ok with this in my mind but it's not my decision to make. Think I'll get one.

If they were forced to use them then it would be racist. If it's a joke that some are doing on their own cars it's not.

Anyone who gets genuinely offended by a bumper sticker (and that's what they are) needs their head examined.

Depends on the sticker. If someone had a sticker about how much they enjoyed molesting children would I need my head examined for saying that he shouldn't do that?

Self-deprecation's not bad lol, and coming from an Asian perspective it's a good sign that us "serious Asians" know how to laugh at a bad situation, and if a good Chinese driver (could be Korean but none of y'all know the difference anyways :P) puts it on and demonstrates excellent driving skills then maybe it'd change the bad Chinese driver stereotype!

The "C" could actually stand for "Competent" then! :frantic:

Good thing too that they didn't start with an "F" decal for female drivers, I could see so many people flip out about that.

Self-deprecation's not bad lol, and coming from an Asian perspective it's a good sign that us "serious Asians" know how to laugh at a bad situation, and if a good Chinese driver (could be Korean but none of y'all know the difference anyways :P) puts it on and demonstrates excellent driving skills then maybe it'd change the bad Chinese driver stereotype!

Good thing too that they didn't start with an "F" decal for female drivers, I could see so many people flip out about that.

Not Asian but I can tell who's who from their last names. The people I struggle identifying though are Russians and Ukrainians cause when the ussr fell, the naming of the people in them barely changed. This made a bunch of countries that have Russian last names but weren't Russian.

I don't see anyone flipping out and I always find that statements like that are reaching, usually in order to make a more dramatic point of something that's simply a difference of opinion. It doesn't strengthen a case, but it can serve to weaken it in my opinion.

And there is nothing wrong with people expressing differing opinions...unless they're offensive. :)

I'm not sure of what the "bad situation" you speak of is? Could you clarify?

How is it remotely racist? :picard:

IF I (a white guy) had a box of these in my car and followed around bad, Asian drivers to slap them on their cars at stop lights etc while yelling at them about their driving and telling them to go back to their @#$%'in country, THAT would be racist.

Frankly I think we need a "T" sticker for Toyota drivers. Maybe their own lane too...those people (of all races) are HORRIBLE drivers.

Archived