The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

McLellan: it won't help the Shark to "sit in a corner and cry"

I have no remorse for this team of divers.

Joe Thorton sticking his fingers in Sedin's face while talking to the offical pretty much sealed the deal for me.

Wish for nothing but the worst for him and his leaderless team.

Its tough for me to feel much sympathy, for about the last 15-20 years they have always, always, always had a dominant team.

And just when you think they might be on the decline, they have had players like Joe Thornton practically fall into their lap.

You gotta keep wondering why Boston got rid of Thornton....

Ultimately, Boston won a Cup, SJ never did.

Luck? Or they knew something about Joe?

I can't believe a team with so much talent and so many Olympians can miss the playoffs

I think Sharks are top-end talent heavy team, Thornton, Marleau, Couture, Pavelski, Hertle are legitimate top 6 players and their Vlasic is good and Burns is... I guess talented offensively. But their depth is weak.

I think the NHL now days and especially in the playoffs is more about depth. Because the stars will do their thing but the other team's stars will also do their thing so the difference is usually made on the plays of the depth players. One reason why LA is so good in the playoffs is because players like Williams and Stoll are their third line players even though they can play on the second line or even first line on any other team.

Take this year's Canucks for example. Nine forwards have 10+ goals, two forwards have 9 goals each and one has 8 goals. That's basically going to be 12 forwards with 10+ goals by the end of the season, which means basically every single forward that plays regularly reached the double digit in goals. I have never seen this happen for the Canucks before and that's why I'm slightly optimistic about this year's playoffs and for the future.

The Sharks this year are the Canucks last year. Tensions rising, missing the playoffs, in dire need of a management change. It's really hard to believe the Sharks wont be in the playoffs this year. Everyone had them as a lock to go at the start of the year. With the talent they have, it's unbelievable.

Well not everyone

You gotta keep wondering why Boston got rid of Thornton....

Ultimately, Boston won a Cup, SJ never did.

Luck? Or they knew something about Joe?

Thats an interesting point, I believe he was Captain of the Bruins already at that time so its possible his leadership (or lack thereof) factored into the decision... but still, they should have been able to fetch a lot more for him.

The Bruins didnt look like they knew what they were doing one way or the other.

Thornton was traded from Boston because they had a young center named Bergeron ready to take over and they felt long-term he could be the guy. it worked out. And yes, continuous playoff letdowns from 98-04 played into the decision to move Thornton, whether it was justified at the time (he was only 26 I believe?) or not.

Sharks have lots of young talent in their system. They will be back.

To a degree I equate Thorton and Marleau with the Sedin Twins. Great players but father time is chipping away at their careers. It is all about whether their respective teams can convert these vets into tomorrows assets. I suggest it is more imperative for the Sharks because they are closer to serious CUP contention than Vancouver.

I have no remorse for this team of divers.

Joe Thorton sticking his fingers in Sedin's face while talking to the offical pretty much sealed the deal for me.

Wish for nothing but the worst for him and his leaderless team.

Fallen to 12th in the West and all but buried out of playoff contention.

"Who's your captain?"

Joe Thornton won't be slowing down any time soon.

He doesn't rely on speed at all, just on his size and being one of the best passers in the game.

I think he'll play into his 40s.

i agree, if only we would shut his mouth and stop being a tool...

Archived