The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL wants to change Faceoff rules

If they want to increase offence then they need to get serious about cutting back the size of goalie equipment to the level that is required for safety only. Pads, chest protectors, gloves and blockers could all be shrunk by 25-33% and provide the same level of protection.

This is face-off rule, though probably a decent idea, is just rearranging deck chairs compared to the real issues in the league.

What a bunch of nonesense. It all irons out in the wash when a team plays 50% of its games on the road.

Talk about reinventing the wheel and making more things complicated. Stupidity to say the least. The refs seldon adhere to the rule anyway.

Same with goalie interference. What in hell is the crease markings for? Opposing player in the paint. Whistle is blown and a face off is called for outside the blue line. Touching the goalie, two minutes for interference. Goalie outside the crease cannot be touched. Simple.

This is not rocket science is it? Just a week of leisure for GMS.

Like lmm, I was in full agreement with your post.

I'd like to propose that goalies should be allowed to handle pucks again. Having skill shouldn't be punished.

Goalies can be contacted, but must not lead to the goalie being unable to make a save because of that contact. I admit, this part will need more clean-up.

Also, goalies can be subject to interference calls.

Could be interesting. I'm not so convinced that the change will mean more offensive faceoff wins, but it will affect puck management. A goalie with a puck, seeing a skater coming in, has the choice to play the puck behind the net, or freeze it. If the offensive team has a significant faceoff advantage, the goalie is more likely to play the puck, which is good for keeping the action moving.

The only thing I don't like about the rule is how it affects offsides - if the offending team gets to put the stick down last (giving them the advantage), then calling offside is just slowing the game down... or is there something on neutral zone faceoffs that I've missed?

Just saying that people shouldn't be complaining about a rule change when the old rule wasn't enforced

Actually, it wasn't intended as a criticism of your post. More like a bit of a rant on how poor this team has been on faceoffs all year.

Sorry if it looked like I was calling you out. I didn't word it very well.

Could be interesting. I'm not so convinced that the change will mean more offensive faceoff wins, but it will affect puck management. A goalie with a puck, seeing a skater coming in, has the choice to play the puck behind the net, or freeze it. If the offensive team has a significant faceoff advantage, the goalie is more likely to play the puck, which is good for keeping the action moving.

The only thing I don't like about the rule is how it affects offsides - if the offending team gets to put the stick down last (giving them the advantage), then calling offside is just slowing the game down... or is there something on neutral zone faceoffs that I've missed?

Im pretty sure its offensive zone and neutral zone stays away/home

I'm surprised they want to do this, because it will lead to an even bigger disparity in teams; the crappy teams will be stuck in their zone a lot because they give up more shots, which leads to more saves, which leads to more faceoffs...and with the new rule, would lead to the offensive team getting more play. Buffalo, Edmonton, etc... would be doing even worse with this rule. I thought the league wanted to become more equal...

What a bunch of nonesense. It all irons out in the wash when a team plays 50% of its games on the road.

Talk about reinventing the wheel and making more things complicated. Stupidity to say the least. The refs seldom adhere to the rule anyway.

Same with goalie interference. What in hell is the crease markings for? Opposing player in the paint. Whistle is blown and a face off is called for outside the blue line. Touching the goalie, two minutes for interference. Goalie outside the crease cannot be touched. Simple.

This is not rocket science is it? Just a week of leisure for GMS.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Sigh... they should first find a way for existing rules to be enforced accurately each and every time before changing an existing rule.

Soooo.....I thought it was germane to this thread.....

Last night I watched a 1-0 Hawks victory over the Rags, followed by a 3-2 OT victory by the Ducks over the Kings. In both games I saw glaring examples of game management.

Interference all over the ice. An obvious too many men call that was never made and an even more obvious trip by Johnnie Quick on Getz that would have given the Ducks a PP halfway through the third. However, the Ducks had just scored to take the lead and in true NHL fashion, the zebras didn't want to "upset the balance" in a one-goal game. So the obvious penalty went uncalled. (as did several other less obvious hooks, holds and interference)

5 minutes later, the league gets it's wish. Justin Williams scores to tie the game, which ends up going to OT. Yet another loser point, awarded thanks in part to game management and yet another display of boring, defensive hockey, interspersed with minor infractions that were subject to the unwritten "third period, close game" rule.

But hey, we'll fix all that by making one guy put his stick down first on face offs. :rolleyes:

If they want to increase offence then they need to get serious about cutting back the size of goalie equipment to the level that is required for safety only. Pads, chest protectors, gloves and blockers could all be shrunk by 25-33% and provide the same level of protection.

This is face-off rule, though probably a decent idea, is just rearranging deck chairs compared to the real issues in the league.

Pretty much nailed it. Sure, they mean well to get more offence out of the game, but this change won't have a significant impact. Shrinking Goalie equipment on the other hand would have an immediate impact.

^^^ this

Archived